How do you keep your seatpost looking good?

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
How do you keep your seatpost looking good?
Posted: Jul 7, 2009 at 17:52 Quote
put some sweet stickers on it...

Posted: Jul 9, 2009 at 6:00 Quote
mtb-crzd47 wrote:
If there is grease on your post it will overcome the friction between it and the seat tube and slide down with every twist of your body therefore making for an incredibly shitty ride because you have to stop every ten seconds to put it back up. It's physics. Not to mention every little piece of dirt, debris, or small animal flung up from your back tire will stick to it, once again making it look like ass.

There's a seat clamp for a reason, tighten it securely and any amount of grease will not cause enough of a friction loss to make your seat post shift every 10 seconds. The grease is simply there to act as a barrier between the post and tube so that they don't become one. When it comes to shit sticking to it, wipe the excess grease off and there's nothing there for stuff to stick to.

Posted: Jul 9, 2009 at 6:12 Quote
put some sweet stickers on it...

Posted: Jul 9, 2009 at 6:17 Quote
permanent marker Razz

Posted: Jul 9, 2009 at 6:25 Quote
mtb-crzd47 wrote:
Try an adjustable one: Gravity Dropper, Joplin?

about the only way around it.

Posted: Jul 9, 2009 at 6:55 Quote
ezekiel wrote:
mtb-crzd47 wrote:
If there is grease on your post it will overcome the friction between it and the seat tube and slide down with every twist of your body therefore making for an incredibly shitty ride because you have to stop every ten seconds to put it back up. It's physics. Not to mention every little piece of dirt, debris, or small animal flung up from your back tire will stick to it, once again making it look like ass.

There's a seat clamp for a reason, tighten it securely and any amount of grease will not cause enough of a friction loss to make your seat post shift every 10 seconds. The grease is simply there to act as a barrier between the post and tube so that they don't become one. When it comes to shit sticking to it, wipe the excess grease off and there's nothing there for stuff to stick to.

Couldn't agree more. Rarely do I ever have a problem with seat posts being scratched, and I keep a small amount of grease on the post at all times.

Posted: Jul 9, 2009 at 7:07 Quote
put some greese like wheel bearing grease on it and losen the clamp alot when you adjust it,

Posted: Jul 14, 2009 at 15:35 Quote
curlyaaron wrote:
does it matter what your seatpost looks like

thats wat im saying brother awwwwwww yeah Razz show em wat time it is, its mop time thats wat time it is.

hahahaha

Posted: Jul 14, 2009 at 15:37 Quote
Keep it Covered in a "protective" layer of mud.. Wink

...Relax it's just a seatpost.

Rolleyes
Salute

O+
Posted: Jul 14, 2009 at 15:45 Quote
not care and ride you bike

Posted: Jul 14, 2009 at 15:58 Quote
aden27 wrote:
Well, not changing heights (notice the correct spelling) isn't really an option. I mentioned that I peddle a lot - for instance Kokopelli in Moab, which is 200 miles. I'm not doing that with a seat in DH riding position.

I'm looking into adjustable seats, but they are freakin expensive!

What about Thompson Elites - are they a little more durable?

An adjustable seat post would be your best option, however, my fiancee and I share a bike so the seatpost gets moved quite frequently for our different preferences. It also gets moved when the bike goes in the stand. We use a Thomson Elite post with some grease and it still looks brand new.

Posted: Jul 15, 2009 at 3:02 Quote
pipes10 wrote:
aden27 wrote:
Well, not changing heights (notice the correct spelling) isn't really an option. I mentioned that I peddle a lot - for instance Kokopelli in Moab, which is 200 miles. I'm not doing that with a seat in DH riding position.

I'm looking into adjustable seats, but they are freakin expensive!

What about Thompson Elites - are they a little more durable?

An adjustable seat post would be your best option, however, my fiancee and I share a bike so the seatpost gets moved quite frequently for our different preferences. It also gets moved when the bike goes in the stand. We use a Thomson Elite post with some grease and it still looks brand new.

see i wonder if thats down to a burr on the inside of the seattube.

check your seat tube and get the file/emery paper out.

Posted: Jul 15, 2009 at 10:07 Quote
finky wrote:
curlyaaron wrote:
does it matter what your seatpost looks like

thats wat im saying brother awwwwwww yeah Razz show em wat time it is, its mop time thats wat time it is.

hahahaha

hahahaha

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014557
Mobile Version of Website