Powered by Outside

Which one would you stick on your bike, a fox 36 talas or a totem coil ?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Which one would you stick on your bike, a fox 36 talas or a totem coil ?
Posted: Jul 14, 2009 at 13:05 Quote
Hummeroid wrote:
Why are you comparing a totem to a 36, instead of Lyrik to a 36?

Same travel and similar a2c, and much closer weight.

because these are 2 forks that i like.

Posted: Jul 14, 2009 at 13:06 Quote
Hummeroid wrote:
Why are you comparing a totem to a 36, instead of Lyrik to a 36?

Same travel and similar a2c, and much closer weight.
sometimes people want more travel and fox doesnt offer that, thats what i thought

Posted: Jul 14, 2009 at 13:07 Quote
Dude.

Boxxer axle to crown is almost exactly the same as totem. Travel doesnt dictate the length of the fork.

Actually, a boxxer is only 5mm taller than my lyrik.

Posted: Jul 14, 2009 at 13:10 Quote
Hummeroid wrote:
Dude.

Boxxer axle to crown is almost exactly the same as totem. Travel doesnt dictate the length of the fork.

Actually, a boxxer is only 5mm taller than my lyrik.

oh yea i forgot, its like a 3mm diff. between the 2. i like single crowns though so im goin back to sc. its better in tight situations like switchbacks and you can do x-ups and stuff like that with a single crown. I REALLY FDNT KNOW!!! TOTEM OR 36 VAN

Posted: Jul 14, 2009 at 13:12 Quote
Well Im sticking to my guns that youre comparing wrong things. 2 different applications for the forks. So its all up to you to decide if you want either a freeride fork, or a allmtn/lt freeride fork.

If you looked at lyrik u-turn coil though, I think youd find your correct fork. Its no less stiff than a 36, and has the same damper as a totem.

Posted: Jul 14, 2009 at 13:58 Quote
any 36 except for talas, they are notchy and gay in comparison

if he is buying a new fork, he won't find the 2009 or 2010 36 Talas has this characteristic you speak of, with regular servicing it feels as smooth as the Lyric (I own both forks...), a consideration is that you DO need to service Fox forks more regularly than Rockshox, Fox are saying every 15-20 hrs for the 36 line, and you need Float Fluid and 7wt suspension fluid, plus tools and some knowledge

the Fox 36 and Rockshox Totem are a different class of fork, you need to look at what your frame is designed around, as putting on the wrong class of fork will have a impact on your bike's geometry which may be beneficial, or may make it ride like sh*t

if you want to compare single-crown freeride forks, try RS Totem vs. Marzocchi 66 - Fox don't make a long travel single crown fork, just the Fox 40 which is dual crown

if you want to compare all-mountain forks, try Fox 36 vs. Rockshox Lyric

Posted: Jul 14, 2009 at 23:17 Quote
hampsteadbandit wrote:
any 36 except for talas, they are notchy and gay in comparison

if he is buying a new fork, he won't find the 2009 or 2010 36 Talas has this characteristic you speak of, with regular servicing it feels as smooth as the Lyric (I own both forks...), a consideration is that you DO need to service Fox forks more regularly than Rockshox, Fox are saying every 15-20 hrs for the 36 line, and you need Float Fluid and 7wt suspension fluid, plus tools and some knowledge

the Fox 36 and Rockshox Totem are a different class of fork, you need to look at what your frame is designed around, as putting on the wrong class of fork will have a impact on your bike's geometry which may be beneficial, or may make it ride like sh*t

if you want to compare single-crown freeride forks, try RS Totem vs. Marzocchi 66 - Fox don't make a long travel single crown fork, just the Fox 40 which is dual crown

if you want to compare all-mountain forks, try Fox 36 vs. Rockshox Lyric

i also see alot of people using a totem for allmountain. i think im gonna get the totem coil. It is meant for the big stuff and i can use it for the big stuff and if i wanna ride some trails(AM) then i can also use the totem for that but if i brought a 36 ouit for some downhilling and some freeride it may not be able to perform as well as the totem will. plus the totem has some sweet 40mm stanchtions. also like you said the totem is less maintenence and thats what i need. a low mainteneace fork that can handle big stuff and can be reliable(coil sprung) and i think my answer is the totem coil. Thanks everyone

Posted: Jul 14, 2009 at 23:18 Quote
oh..i just wanted to point out that i saw cam McCaul using a fox 36 or something like that for freeride, meh, i guess if he breaks it he can just get another one from fox because hes sponsored buyt them

Posted: Jul 15, 2009 at 13:05 Quote
ha,pstead, the talas's do suffer from stiction more than other 36 forks. speaking of brand new 2010 talas', we have had 2 come through and both have been properly notchy, despite following advice from mojo and leaving the forks inverted for said period of time.

the matey shouldn't be looking at the talas, in comparison to a totem- way more adjustability in the talas, which it doesn't sound like he needs. save wasting your life servicing and buy a more reliable float rc2.

Posted: Jul 15, 2009 at 13:07 Quote
biscuito wrote:
ha,pstead, the talas's do suffer from stiction more than other 36 forks. speaking of brand new 2010 talas', we have had 2 come through and both have been properly notchy, despite following advice from mojo and leaving the forks inverted for said period of time.

the matey shouldn't be looking at the talas, in comparison to a totem- way more adjustability in the talas, which it doesn't sound like he needs. save wasting your life servicing and buy a more reliable float rc2.

its a 2008 model im gettin. im getting a talas rl

Posted: Jul 15, 2009 at 16:56 Quote
ha,pstead, the talas's do suffer from stiction more than other 36 fork

I just serviced my 2009 Fox 36 TALAS RC2 and they feel very smooth, actually similar to my Lyric Coil U-turn in terms of stroke smoothness and small bump sensitivity

my buddy Jim has exactly the same fork, and was very surprised today when he tried mine, to see the difference a good service using Fox Anti-Friction fluid makes (70 wt.)

the Totem is in "no way" an all-mountain fork, unless you don't understand what an all-mountain bike really is, the crown to axle height and amount of travel, and weight of the fork, puts it into the freeride class and not all-mountain

Rockshox's all-mountain fork is the Lyric, and Fox's is the 36

Posted: Jul 15, 2009 at 20:46 Quote
hampsteadbandit wrote:
ha,pstead, the talas's do suffer from stiction more than other 36 fork

I just serviced my 2009 Fox 36 TALAS RC2 and they feel very smooth, actually similar to my Lyric Coil U-turn in terms of stroke smoothness and small bump sensitivity

my buddy Jim has exactly the same fork, and was very surprised today when he tried mine, to see the difference a good service using Fox Anti-Friction fluid makes (70 wt.)

the Totem is in "no way" an all-mountain fork, unless you don't understand what an all-mountain bike really is, the crown to axle height and amount of travel, and weight of the fork, puts it into the freeride class and not all-mountain

Rockshox's all-mountain fork is the Lyric, and Fox's is the 36

alot of people also find the 36 sturdy enough to be a dh fork and some people dh with 36's and they work fine

FL
Posted: Jul 15, 2009 at 21:02 Quote
Fox 36. Because a Totem would look too beefy on my Hardrock.

O+
Posted: Jul 15, 2009 at 21:03 Quote
CANADA-RULES82 wrote:
its a 2008 model im gettin. im getting a talas rl

You're getting a Talas RL? It sounds like that's a 32, not 36 you're talking about. To my knowledge there was no 36 Talas RL... just R or RC2. RL is rebound and lockout. And if that's the case, you don't want to be doing freeride on a 32. At least I wouldn't.

O+
Posted: Jul 15, 2009 at 21:06 Quote
TheDanish wrote:
Fox 36. Because a Totem would look too beefy on my Hardrock.

What a great comment. I'm looking for new pedals for my bike... maybe you can recommend something that looks good on your bike to me.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.986718
Mobile Version of Website