Powered by Outside

Full suspension help

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Full suspension help
O+
Posted: Jul 25, 2009 at 21:38 Quote
i love kona. nothing wrong with it and i actually suggest getting one. the only problem i had was that my linkage was hitting my seat when it was all the way down. but when i raised the seat a little, the problem was solved... bottom line GET ONE!

Posted: Jul 26, 2009 at 5:44 Quote
AlCapone wrote:
jonbikes wrote:
I have one key point to add without getting into the technical end of things, which these guys seem to have gone over rather well, and without turning this into a kona sucks thread (which surprises me).

Something that should be said at the beginning of every discussion about Kona (stinky's specifically) is that the Stinky is not intended to be a pro level bike. It is intended to be a beginner to intermediate level bike. There seems to be a HUGE misconception if you will about the Stinky in this area. Everyone that complains about them breaking easily is riding it and expecting it to perform and handle the punishment just as well as a bike 10 times its level of performance and quality, thus you get all these kids saying "my kona snapped they are all crap". If you are looking for a bike and you know for a fact that you are going to spend a serious amount of time on the same rig without upgrading, don't go with something like the stinky. If you want something that you can ride until you get tired of it, try lots of stuff with, and not have to worry about destroying an 8k bike, then go for it and I can almost guarantee that you WILL be satisfied with it. You just can't expect it to perform as well as say a Giant Glory DH if you are using it for DH riding and or racing.
Now that is a misconception. John Cowan's a pro. Guess what he rode at RedBull Rampage. It's not going to snap any sooner than any other bike. The reason Kona can keep the cost down is because they sell so many of them, and they don't put too nice of parts on them. Build up well, they as good as any 7 inch travel bike out there. The reason I say this is because the geometry of f*cking dialed. If I was going to buy another 7 inch travel freeride bike, I'd go for another Stinky. The next bike I'm going for is going to be a more race oriented rig though.

I highly doubt that he rode a regular Stinky frame at the Red Bull Rampage, however if you can find something to back that up I will respectfully withdraw my statement.

Posted: Jul 26, 2009 at 9:37 Quote
jonbikes wrote:
AlCapone wrote:
jonbikes wrote:
I have one key point to add without getting into the technical end of things, which these guys seem to have gone over rather well, and without turning this into a kona sucks thread (which surprises me).

Something that should be said at the beginning of every discussion about Kona (stinky's specifically) is that the Stinky is not intended to be a pro level bike. It is intended to be a beginner to intermediate level bike. There seems to be a HUGE misconception if you will about the Stinky in this area. Everyone that complains about them breaking easily is riding it and expecting it to perform and handle the punishment just as well as a bike 10 times its level of performance and quality, thus you get all these kids saying "my kona snapped they are all crap". If you are looking for a bike and you know for a fact that you are going to spend a serious amount of time on the same rig without upgrading, don't go with something like the stinky. If you want something that you can ride until you get tired of it, try lots of stuff with, and not have to worry about destroying an 8k bike, then go for it and I can almost guarantee that you WILL be satisfied with it. You just can't expect it to perform as well as say a Giant Glory DH if you are using it for DH riding and or racing.
Now that is a misconception. John Cowan's a pro. Guess what he rode at RedBull Rampage. It's not going to snap any sooner than any other bike. The reason Kona can keep the cost down is because they sell so many of them, and they don't put too nice of parts on them. Build up well, they as good as any 7 inch travel bike out there. The reason I say this is because the geometry of f*cking dialed. If I was going to buy another 7 inch travel freeride bike, I'd go for another Stinky. The next bike I'm going for is going to be a more race oriented rig though.

I highly doubt that he rode a regular Stinky frame at the Red Bull Rampage, however if you can find something to back that up I will respectfully withdraw my statement.
I saw it on MTV. They interviewed Cowan about the Rampage. But I did find this. Graham Agassiz bike check.

Posted: Jul 26, 2009 at 9:57 Quote
Interesting. I will also admit that I almost always think of the older stinky's when I think of a Stinky...I don't know why but I do.

Posted: Jul 26, 2009 at 10:11 Quote
Although im not the biggest fan of Kona, my friend has an 04 stinky and he's beating the living shit out of it but its still going well, hell it even has the original 150mm duel crown drop off's. His shock rebound died for a while but a hit with a pair of pliers fixed that.

Basicly i was trying to get at they do seem to be surprisingly strong frames for the money they cost.

Saw a whole one going on here for £150 the other day.

Posted: Jul 26, 2009 at 18:50 Quote
Kona does have their geo dialed!! I rode my wifes Kona Coiler the other day and it felt so nimble. my bike on the other hand feels a little teetery. i almost feel like i'm riding a horse or something lol.

Posted: Jul 26, 2009 at 20:49 Quote
Okay so If my 15.5 inch stinky still fits me, there is no reason to change the frame if all im doing is freeride and some all mountain?

Posted: Jul 26, 2009 at 20:50 Quote
But I would change the other parts, like maybe a fox rear shock and some fox fronts, etc tec.

Posted: Jul 26, 2009 at 20:54 Quote
Yeah I want to. I am done with getting new bikes, my stinky and bigfoot will have to last me two or three years.

Posted: Jul 26, 2009 at 23:50 Quote
yea keep frame and just replace parts as needed or wanted

O+
Posted: Jul 27, 2009 at 5:13 Quote
My buddy rides a Coiler and I love that thing. Handles well, rides lighter than it is, stout as hell- puts up with tons of shit, and my budyy weighs like 200 lbs. All this Konas stink stuff is B.S.

Posted: Jul 27, 2009 at 8:39 Quote
The coilers and stinkies have similar geo, right? (The older coil ones.)

Posted: Jul 27, 2009 at 8:45 Quote
I think so. The Coiler was slightly steeper, shorter, and had less travel.

Posted: Jul 27, 2009 at 8:47 Quote
Yeah from my understanding it was like the stinkys all-mountain brother.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.173628
Mobile Version of Website