Powered by Outside

how does an intense 951 ride for dh racing?

PB Forum :: Downhill
how does an intense 951 ride for dh racing?
Posted: Aug 6, 2009 at 10:30 Quote
nickperryman711 wrote:
ask this guy
http://brescokla10.pinkbike.com/
he's got 1
just sent him a pm. will be interesting to see what he says. cheers for your help

Posted: Aug 6, 2009 at 11:00 Quote
i've had one for 3 weeks now. just got back form a week long trip in whistler and done one local race on it. with the adjustable geometry you can make it feel and ride just how you like. put it in the most slacked out setting and it long and low(very similar to teh M6 geometry). it destroys steeps and is extremely stable at high speeds. so far i've preferred the middle setting as im not on real steep terrain all the time. the suspension is very supple and lively. in very rough sections it sticks to teh ground like glue. during my whistler trip riding the roughest trails it never let me down. the only issue for me was how low the BB is. i've gotten used to it now, but at first is was slamming pedals on everything. alrady snapped an E13 LG1+ in half. went to a MRP G2 and it ha held up much better and fits better too, as there are some clearance issues around the swing arm and chain guide area. you'll dig the frame, its a high end race frame with plenty of R&D behind it. i've even taken a couple nasty spills with it and the frame has help up beautifully, no dents or scratches. PM me if you have more questions. i'll be glad to help as much as i can.

Posted: Aug 6, 2009 at 11:19 Quote
cthorpe wrote:
i've had one for 3 weeks now. just got back form a week long trip in whistler and done one local race on it. with the adjustable geometry you can make it feel and ride just how you like. put it in the most slacked out setting and it long and low(very similar to teh M6 geometry). it destroys steeps and is extremely stable at high speeds. so far i've preferred the middle setting as im not on real steep terrain all the time. the suspension is very supple and lively. in very rough sections it sticks to teh ground like glue. during my whistler trip riding the roughest trails it never let me down. the only issue for me was how low the BB is. i've gotten used to it now, but at first is was slamming pedals on everything. alrady snapped an E13 LG1+ in half. went to a MRP G2 and it ha held up much better and fits better too, as there are some clearance issues around the swing arm and chain guide area. you'll dig the frame, its a high end race frame with plenty of R&D behind it. i've even taken a couple nasty spills with it and the frame has help up beautifully, no dents or scratches. PM me if you have more questions. i'll be glad to help as much as i can.
cheers for your time to reply, i just wanted to here some positive feedback (or hoping to) on people who owned 1. the bank balance is taking a big hit and want to feel 100% happy with my choice. must hav been a hard hit to smash the E13. i have heard they misalign slightly, but hoping the shop will get it sorted for me. i hav a sunday WC. and when i first had it, i was hittin the pedals every where. but after time u seem to pick your lines better. i guess the 951 will be similar in the slack setting.

Posted: Aug 6, 2009 at 11:30 Quote
happychappy79 wrote:
cthorpe wrote:
cheers for your time to reply, i just wanted to here some positive feedback (or hoping to) on people who owned 1. the bank balance is taking a big hit and want to feel 100% happy with my choice. must hav been a hard hit to smash the E13. i have heard they misalign slightly, but hoping the shop will get it sorted for me. i hav a sunday WC. and when i first had it, i was hittin the pedals every where. but after time u seem to pick your lines better. i guess the 951 will be similar in the slack setting.
yeah should be similar. my previous bike had a much higher bb height so it was a drastic change for me. i was worried just like you when i ordered mine as i didn't test one first either. but all worries were gone as soon as teh first ride started. be prepared to change spring rates though. i weigh 170lbs and had to go to a 500lb spring. that feels just right for me. not sure what yours will come with but mine came with a 400lb spring. even with the weak spring i still never completly bottomed it though. thanks to the RC4 boost valve(that shock is amazing)

Posted: Aug 6, 2009 at 11:55 Quote
Not the build I would go with personally, but it seems cool enough. I just hope you race "seriously enough" not to pay retail. Only suckers pay retail.

Posted: Aug 6, 2009 at 13:14 Quote
alrite mate i think it rides really well there's plenty of grip, in fact bit makes the fox 40's seam a bit crap, ive herd people say you can blow threw the travel easy but i don't agree im 14 stone and i don't bottom it out, the g3 drop outs make the bike handle totally different it can be a full blown wc downhill bike one minute then a nimble free ride bike the next. the bike does have a low bb height but that's what bash guards are for and i have battered my frame against a rock at a fair speed and it doesn't even have a mark on it (unlike the session 8Cool . mine comes in at 38 lbs

Posted: Aug 7, 2009 at 12:06 Quote
I've been riding my 951 mostly at Fort William since I got it last month and can tell you that it's b00dy fast, it doesn't blow through the travel...I'm running a 500lb spring and I'm 200lbs with gear.

Posted: Aug 8, 2009 at 9:05 Quote
There have been some issues with the 951, for instance heavier riders can't get springs heavy enough. That's why CRC Intense team went back to their m6 bikes.
Wait until they have solved that problem, I think it was the lower linkage.

Posted: Aug 8, 2009 at 11:24 Quote
jinx wrote:
There have been some issues with the 951, for instance heavier riders can't get springs heavy enough. That's why CRC Intense team went back to their m6 bikes.
just sent an email to cane creeks to make sure i have the correct spring rate. and also mentioned romours about riders 'blowing through there travel'. will be interesting to see what they say. luckily im pretty light weighing in at 76.5kg / 168.6 US pound / 12.04 stone with riding gear. hopefully a heavier spring would sort out any issues.

Posted: Aug 8, 2009 at 11:28 Quote
happychappy79 wrote:
jinx wrote:
just sent an email to cane creeks to make sure i have the correct spring rate. and also mentioned romours about riders 'blowing through there travel'. will be interesting to see what they say. luckily im pretty light weighing in at 76.5kg / 168.6 US pound / 12.04 stone with riding gear. hopefully a heavier spring would sort out any issues.

Why not have a go at the Intense Socom?

Posted: Aug 8, 2009 at 12:10 Quote
happychappy79 wrote:
jinx wrote:
i wouldn't worry about blowing through travel. everyone i've talked to that has one has had no issues with this. just get the spring they recommend and you'll be fine. i'm 170 lbs using a 500lb spring and its perfect

Posted: Aug 8, 2009 at 19:26 Quote
happychappy79 wrote:
masterpiece, not sure what your issue is with that.

Thomson Masterpiece = lighter than an Elite and just as strong. I run them on my rides.

Some folks (trolls) are retards who offer nothing of value to the human race and are to be ignored.

Posted: Aug 9, 2009 at 4:06 Quote
cthorpe wrote:
happychappy79 wrote:
jinx wrote:
i wouldn't worry about blowing through travel. everyone i've talked to that has one has had no issues with this. just get the spring they recommend and you'll be fine. i'm 170 lbs using a 500lb spring and its perfect

Yeah, but how about me, with all gears on weighs in at 220+ lbs?

Posted: Aug 9, 2009 at 6:46 Quote
I rode a demo 951 and it actually pedaled decent. Maybe I'm not used to long travel bikes but i would sometimes smack the pedals on the ground when I went to pedal hard. But that bike is dope. I think it feels better than my friends sunday.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016337
Mobile Version of Website