AM bike that still goes down real nice

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
AM bike that still goes down real nice
Posted: Aug 25, 2009 at 9:44 Quote
ToddSchisler wrote:
Not wanting to muddy the waters, but have you considered the Giant Reign X? Climbs quite efficiently (you won't win any xc climbs) and it more than capable on the descents. A great all purpose bike if you only gotta have one. They don't look like they're all that burly, but they can take a beating.

thats the one i forgot to mention.

Posted: Aug 25, 2009 at 9:56 Quote
Let's add a few more to the list to make it even more confusing.

Foes FXR with the Currnutt Air shock. 6.5" of travel and the Currnutt stable platform works really well. The latest Air is super buttery smooth too.

Intense Uzzi VP. Up to 7.5" of virtual pivot point suspension travel.

Both frames are designed around a Fox 36 front fork and are meant to be ridden up hills and come back down like you jumped out an airplane. 32 pound builds for the Foes are the norm. Don't have any personal experience with the Intense.

Chris.

Posted: Aug 25, 2009 at 10:00 Quote
i know i said i'll save money if necessary, but i dont want to spend like 6g's right away. if anything i'll buy a cheap platform to start with, like a remedy 7, and then build up.

Posted: Aug 25, 2009 at 10:21 Quote
a diamondback mission would also be a good choice. I've beat mine up pretty good at Highland Mt Bike Park and it rides with the best of em. It's not a DH but will keep up and I've also done a sprint off road duathlon with it. Just lower the suspension on the fork and stiffen up the shock. It's a beast and weighs in at 30 lbs

The Intense Uzzi is my dream bike. I got the chance to ride one at a demo and it climbs surpizingly well for how much travel it has. I wouldn't do too much XC type riding on it though

Posted: Aug 25, 2009 at 10:35 Quote
I have a remedy 7, with a short stem and telescopic seatpost - I totally recommend it for everything, especially the downhills. At a lot of DH tracks I think I'm quicker on it than my demo, you will find on gnarly rocky stuff it does blow through the air shock a bit but for more techy fast single track it is awesome. The geometry/suspension means on DH it rides like a lighter more plantable/chuckable DH bike and the Lyriks on the remedy 7 are surprisingly good too.

I've done some biggish drops (15ft) and gaps (30ft) on it and it felt great (not what I will be using it for from now 'cos I want to look after it) then the next day blasted out a 30 mile XC loop and it was easy... I'm not used to a 20lb xc machine but to me it pedals like a hardtail. There's a good review of it on pinkbike somewhere too. Buy one.

Posted: Aug 25, 2009 at 11:19 Quote
anyone think of a kona coilair look at nsmb.com for a multi page reveiw
i own it outstanding on the downhills and if ur suspension has pro pead/ lock/ ect it is great on the uphill

O+
Posted: Aug 25, 2009 at 11:26 Quote
photo

I definitely enjoyed mine while it lasted... :/ oh yeah, big thumbs down on the GF possum.

Posted: Aug 25, 2009 at 11:28 Quote
remedy8point5 wrote:
photo

I definitely enjoyed mine while it lasted... :/ oh yeah, big thumbs down on the GF possum.

how did you do that

O+
Posted: Aug 25, 2009 at 12:11 Quote
tyler-durden wrote:
remedy8point5 wrote:
photo

how did you do that

No specific event comes to mind. Never any bad casing (anything to cause me to wreck). And I'd say 10' is the tallest drop I ever took it off. I'm going to try to get a scratch instead of another remedy.

Posted: Sep 9, 2009 at 20:31 Quote
No , it's not the Uzzi....but it's a very close cousin.....and it's my baby.
It goes up and down. Like a bastard. VPP is all about traction and carrying speed.
Go for the Intense. They rock.
photo

Posted: Sep 9, 2009 at 21:02 Quote
i would have said a felt redemption if it wasnt for the 2010 model having ungodly high standover. what about a scott ransom or an intense tracer VP?

Posted: Sep 11, 2009 at 7:33 Quote
There are lots of threads on this topic. How about an Enduro?? I own one and it's a hair under 30 lbs for the comp version, but I won't rant about it unless asked.

Posted: Sep 11, 2009 at 16:34 Quote
2010 Enduro Comp.
Or Remedy or maybe a Transition Covert with a Lyrik

Posted: Sep 14, 2009 at 5:55 Quote
photo

photo

Goes up flawlessly and can take huge drops, I am 6"7 and 200 i need a big bike and this one fits me better than the other companies the OP mentioned i have test rode them all.

Its a specialized pitch. with some aftermarket stuff.

Posted: Sep 14, 2009 at 16:00 Quote
I would still go with the Enduro Comp great price tag great component groups.
But with the money you save on a Pitch Comp or Pro you could do em' up real nice lol.
photo

Heres my pitch after an 'intresting' decent. (loose rock, Steep down grade and a need for speed.)

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016487
Mobile Version of Website