Light Downhill Rims, what's the choice?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Light Downhill Rims, what's the choice?
FL
Posted: Aug 31, 2009 at 10:44 Quote
I run Mavic EN521's on my Intense Socom, and that weigh's in at 34 lbs. No idea how heavy the rims are on their own though. Also, I'm not very heavy 5"10 55kg so it depends really how heavy you are but I've gotta say they are much stronger than DT Swiss 'Bend and Twist'.

FL
Posted: Aug 31, 2009 at 11:00 Quote
i love my mtx33. theyre amazingly strong. and theyre not TOO heavy at 660g

Posted: Aug 31, 2009 at 11:11 Quote
Crankbrothers has a new wheel one for dh and one for fr... look like awesome wheelsets. if you're just lookin for a rim i can't help

Posted: Aug 31, 2009 at 13:51 Quote
adrenalinaddict wrote:
Hi guys

Thanks for taking the time to read this,

I'm looking for a new set of rims as I buckled my Sun Ringle Single Tracks. I do alot of Freeride and Downhill, I don't care about hubs Im just imtrested in Rims. I'm looking for something Light, Strong a durable, as they say rotational weight is worth twice as much! Colour doesn't bother me anything but White, Red, Silver or Black would be nice. I will obivously need something strong as we all land abit dogie and side ways from time to time and I hammer the rock gardens...

Cheers Beer

Adrenalinaddict
well u got some options you could go to an fr 600 by dt swiss but be prepared to pay a crap load or you can go to a mavic 729 but they are a little heavier than the fr 600.

Posted: Aug 31, 2009 at 15:42 Quote
bunkey wrote:
justhitit wrote:
why would you buy ten and have to pay to get them laced up every time you wreck one beyond truability instead of just buying one semi expensive strong rim youll only have to lace once? labour for lacing is about 40 dollars a wheel so thats 800$ that you would've wasted.
Can you honestly not build your own wheels? Rolleyes

i have no idea if the guy that made this thread can or not. i know I can, but still plus new spokes considering that if your breaking a rhynolite must mean your snapping or stretching the shit out of the spokes. so all in all, dish out the cash for a better stronger lighter rim that you wont have to worry about and take precious riding time away lacing and always truing those rims.

Posted: Aug 31, 2009 at 15:45 Quote
Thanks guys for all the help, at the mo' I am most intrested in the Stan's ZTR flow rims as I sounds the best but I can find little user reviews on it except for the one on the previous page (Thanks). If anyone has them or has a better option then please Comment!! I can get hold of theese rims at one of my local bike shops, Freeborn for £68.99 is that a good deal?

Thanks guys tup

mtbmaniak wrote:
I've heard the Stan's ZTR Flow rims are amazing. They're 470g each, but I've also heard they're amazingly strong. They have a shorter sidewall which decreases pinch flats, increases tire volume, UST compatible, and they have some kind of internal arch that makes them super stiff and strong. Might be a good way to cut out a lot of rotational weight.

Posted: Aug 31, 2009 at 16:01 Quote
anything mavic like the deemax crossmax 721 729 laced to a hope pro 2

Posted: Aug 31, 2009 at 16:04 Quote
norcorulz wrote:
ex721s are a really good rim. not too pricy but still light and strong. i use them for street and downhill and they do more then just hold up fine, been running them since the beginning of the year and its only slightly buckled i cant even notice it when i ride im just too lazy to true it. i dont think ill ever use another rim
i agree totaly i wont ride anything but mavic

O+
Posted: Sep 2, 2009 at 17:05 Quote
I didnt see anyone else say it.

I would really recommend Atom Lab Pimps, i spoke directly with Mike Flaherty to get my rig dh ready I had to get a 165mm hub for rear and he had them and worked with me.Hes a good businessman. he was awesome.

Atomic Laboratories or "Atomlab" was founded by Mike Flaherty in December of 1996.Mike is a former BMX pro who has worked as a designer in the bicycle industry for years.He raced from 1979-1985 and was the number 2 ABA East Coast pro behind Tim Judge in '85.

Posted: Sep 3, 2009 at 11:24 Quote
Another vote for Mavic here. I`ve been running a pair of 07 Deemax`s for almost 3 years now with no problems. The back wheelbearing has just developed a bit of play after 10 days hammering in the Alps. I think when these wheels pack in(if they ever do) my next wheels will be Mavic 823`s with Hope pro 2 hubs. Tubeless is the way forward.

Posted: Oct 9, 2009 at 12:48 Quote
JesusJohn wrote:
bigquotesI've heard the Stan's ZTR Flow rims are amazing. They're 470g each, but I've also heard they're amazingly strong. They have a shorter sidewall which decreases pinch flats, increases tire volume, UST compatible, and they have some kind of internal arch that makes them super stiff and strong. Might be a good way to cut out a lot of rotational weight.
I use stans flow rims on my suspension bike and my hardtail. Very light,strong and crazy fast wheels when you use them stans.
http://www.notubes.com/product_info.php/cPath/679/products_id/344

Posted: Oct 9, 2009 at 12:50 Quote
I would agree with the jesus john, i have felt how light his bikes are, amazing.
I run 721 mavics for strength only... not lightness.

O+
Posted: Oct 9, 2009 at 12:57 Quote
Sun ringle MTX 29, only 570g reasonably strong. You can get the welded ones for like $60 and the sleved ones for $35. I would get a welded one in the front and get a sleved one in the rear and just replace them here and there, cuz they do dent a little.

Posted: Oct 9, 2009 at 13:16 Quote
anyone have any experience on the new crossmax sx wheelset? for enduro riding but i am a heavy rider (110kg fully laden) and think whilst the last years deemax's are reduced i may go for them. i need 135mm x 12mm thru axle wheels but lightweight would be good!

Posted: Oct 9, 2009 at 13:20 Quote
I am in love with my Syncos DS 28s...I have been runing them for 2 years now and never had a failure; or flat spots when at or above 35 psi. I was 198lbs last year and this year I am 220 (ya fat and lazy haha) and we ride a ton of gnar stuff here.They are like 540 grams (32 hole)I think and fairly cheap and turn well. Hope that helps

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015251
Mobile Version of Website