Powered by Outside

What is the point of 24" wheels?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
What is the point of 24" wheels?
Posted: May 3, 2010 at 9:45 Quote
Lots of people back when ran 24s on big bikes to lower standover height, not really something so amazing that it requires another picture.

Posted: May 3, 2010 at 10:53 Quote
i always wondered how much does a Monster T weights

Posted: May 3, 2010 at 10:58 Quote
Csight wrote:

According to some distributor catalogs, :Heavy:

About 10LBS I believe.

Posted: May 3, 2010 at 11:06 Quote
Rattsl wrote:
Csight wrote:

According to some distributor catalogs, :Heavy:

About 10LBS I believe.
its over 12 but not quite 13 lbs

Posted: May 3, 2010 at 11:12 Quote
viperda wrote:
photo
what people would say is the wrong use of 24" wheels

cool

Posted: May 3, 2010 at 12:37 Quote
viperda wrote:
photo
what people would say is the wrong use of 24" wheels
that is an absolute abomination

Posted: May 3, 2010 at 13:31 Quote
photo

i find the older BH setup to be better than the F26" R26" i like the F26" R24" i know its odd but it rolls around the corners and i can do DH/FR with no prob. i have owned a 26" BH and didn't like it so i went back to this bike.

Over all its just about personal opinion.

Posted: May 3, 2010 at 23:43 Quote
NorcoTweek wrote:
photo

i find the older BH setup to be better than the F26" R26" i like the F26" R24" i know its odd but it rolls around the corners and i can do DH/FR with no prob. i have owned a 26" BH and didn't like it so i went back to this bike.

why you selling it if its so amazing then

Posted: May 4, 2010 at 0:22 Quote
orangepatriotcoil wrote:
NorcoTweek wrote:
photo

why you selling it if its so amazing then

cuz its to much travel for around my place.

Posted: May 4, 2010 at 0:42 Quote
gutkrencher wrote:
This has been covered alot.

It's obvious that no wheel size is better than another but different wheel sizes are definitely better applied to certain types of riding.

A 24" wheel IS stronger,makes for a lighter wheel (alot less rotational weight), will accelerate faster and gain 'pump' better than a 26" wheel. It also allows a shorter wheelbase which will make spins and maneuverability better.
24" wheels will also give a generally lower centre of gravity. 24" wheeled bikes are better for pegs/street tricks because the frame will proportionally have an extra 1" of bb clearance.

As far as riding parks, street and trails a 24" wheel is much more practical. There are no real advantages to riding 26" wheels for that sort of riding. The only benefits are that they are less harsh for casing/crashing and they are more stable (in the case of riding this sort of stuff the stability you get is the same thing as being more cumbersome). 26" wheels also roll over bumps better which isn't relevant with streets/ramps or trails . You will end up with a bigger and less practical bike.

26" wheels are better for dh/xc and more bumpy, faster riding. Dirt bikes with 26" wheels are more versatile and can be used for a bit of everything but won't excel at anything really. Whereas a 24" bike is more suited to park/trails/street and pretty poor at everything else.

26" wheels are pushed by the industry on all bikes by the larger companies and alot of people claim 24" isnt real mtb (despite hundreds of companies supporting it). This is why so many companies have pro riders riding bikes with alu frames, gears and unnecessary amounts suspension and big wheels even if they dont need it. In the UK we tend to ride proper trails where smaller wheels are better suited if you ride a mtb.

Some people are very fanboy-ish about 26" wheels and seem to claim religiously they are better than 24" for riding trails or street but there aren't really any reasons why they would be better.
I tend to see it in the same way as how people will claim six foot wide handlebars are a good idea despite how impractical they actually are. Alot of people also claim things are better because they 'like' it and it 'feels' better. People will find they have preferences when it comes to bikes but they may not actually have a good understanding of bikes at all or much experience with different bikes.
1. pretty sure the wheelbase will remain the same
2. this is true, but i don't know why some people say that it would be more flickable when a higher bb would be the way to make your bike more flickable but then again 24" would mean lighter wheels to compensate sort of.

O+
Posted: May 4, 2010 at 5:28 Quote
i used to run 24s they are cool and all but
if you really wanted to make anything of riding bikes you would run 26"
if you just like riding around the park sure 24s

Posted: May 4, 2010 at 5:31 Quote
blkmrkt78 wrote:
i used to run 24s they are cool and all but
if you really wanted to make anything of riding bikes you would run 26"
if you just like riding around the park sure 24s

well not really 24s you want, on obvs smaller kids bikes and then dirt/street/park Etc bikes. But 26s can be used but its personal choice on what you prefer

O+
Posted: May 4, 2010 at 5:34 Quote
pritty sure in most comps you cant use 24inch wheels ? may be wrong, when i made the change over i found that 26 felt alot better, got rid of the real steep head angle

Posted: May 4, 2010 at 5:44 Quote
Its not the size that really matters, its what you can do with it that counts! Ive always found 24's to be that little bit more nimble and chuckable. Then again ive been riding 24's for well over 5 years so 26's just feel huge to me.

Posted: May 4, 2010 at 10:08 Quote
danthecarlover wrote:
1. pretty sure the wheelbase will remain the same
2. this is true, but i don't know why some people say that it would be more flickable when a higher bb would be the way to make your bike more flickable but then again 24" would mean lighter wheels to compensate sort of.

Sorry, what i was trying to say was that a 24" wheel will allow for a shorter wheelbase. You can run a frame with a shorter back end.
In terms of flickable-ness a higher bb means it will hop easier and a shorter wheelbase will help also.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.070890
Mobile Version of Website