Powered by Outside

Sumas Mountain Trail Conditions and General Maintenance Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Sumas Mountain Trail Conditions and General Maintenance Thread
O+
Posted: Jan 23, 2010 at 17:40 Quote
Wicked night ride on friday...the increased traffic (shuttles) on Knob Gobbler is definitely noticeable. Good conditions overall though. The lower XC trails were 95% mint with 5% complete mud pits (weird, huh?).

O+
Posted: Feb 4, 2010 at 13:13 Quote
I talked to Dan earlier in the week and thought I'd be out, but if anyone wants to join in a Sumas adventure tonight, PM me and we'll make it happen.

O+
Posted: Feb 5, 2010 at 19:48 Quote
Pedalled/ pushed up to Knob Gobler and Time Killer out. Trails were all in great condition.

I was talking with a couple of guys that were shutling and apparently there are some new wooden features on Old Saw.

O+
Posted: Feb 6, 2010 at 20:16 Quote
Which is "Old Saw"?

O+
Posted: Feb 6, 2010 at 20:43 Quote
stillgoing wrote:
Which is "Old Saw"?
Old Saw is the trail that starts at the cabin and leads directly to Devils Throat.

Posted: Feb 7, 2010 at 10:06 Quote
The XC side (E.) is getting longer,with the Emma Peel continuing to get redone.
The muddy 4wheel road section where you drop down onto is getting redone and should be ready in a month.
At the moment quads and motorcycles continue to try and access this trail, a quad stopper is working for now and trees continue to fall across the road.
The new section is designed to stay off the old double track and come out where the Peel kicks up onto the new small bridge over the rock to clearcut. It's very pretty and with the wavy gravying going on, the Peel morph's into one sweet xc trail.
In the day the Peel used to be trailsy to the nine's,but with old skinny bridge's rotting out and a clearcut ,not to mention numerous trees and skinny's falling into disfavour it's actually got the flow and climbs are all doable.
Chadsey Lake trail
Look to Chadsey to be getting a new bridge lower down on one of the stream crossings soon.
A couple of weekends of chainsaw work has cleared out the latest blowdown's to the Lake.
CL is not a trail to consider unless it's dry,more roots and exposure, can put most riders in their place.
Lots of turns,so a guide really helps, one only needs to look at all the search and rescue's of Sumas and they all CL trail.
The giant ravine crossing is seriously being considered for a stairway down and across,but that will be later this year.
Biggest mistake's to those who get lost on this trail,
Leaving late , telling no one where you intend to go, going down one of the couple of junctions the wrong way.
I pad up when riding this trail (never ride it alone) and take my big bike,be a smarty.
Mr.g

O+
Posted: Feb 7, 2010 at 15:00 Quote
Did a solo ride on Sumas today and was really stoked to see how busy the trail Gnomes have been on the East side. Say Kerry's Jeep and a white truck but they were elusive and never saw/ heard them. Trails are a little slick, but rain does that = so sweet up there for the mid travel bike!

Where can I find a trail map with names as I can never remember the names, I just say XC or DH side still?

Great work to all the builders!

O+
Posted: Feb 16, 2010 at 16:24 Quote
Was up on Sumas again this past Sunday - did about 3 hours of solo riding and too much was climbing. Lots of DH traffic on WC has made it loose to say the least. Not sure where Kerry is working at, but I keep seeing his Jeep and not him up there.

I ran into Trevor from FVMBA and he said that there will be a night ride tomorrow (wednesday) night - is that still a go and where can a few of us meet y'all at?

O+
Posted: Feb 16, 2010 at 16:45 Quote
8 pm at the upper gate.

The pedal up crew (me, myself, and I) will be starting from the bottom at 7:15.

O+
Posted: Feb 16, 2010 at 17:49 Quote
Ok I'll try to bring a truck load to meet you at the 0 km parking lot (lower gate) for the climb up Tom. We'll do our best to be there for 7:00.

O+
Posted: Feb 18, 2010 at 16:27 Quote
valleyrider wrote:
The pedal up crew (me, myself, and I) will be starting from the bottom at 7:15.

And Steve!!

Mod
Posted: Feb 18, 2010 at 16:36 Quote
Great ride!

Some pictures:

photo
photo
photo
photo
photo

O+
Posted: Feb 18, 2010 at 22:43 Quote
Fun times! I couldn't believe what a mud pit Time Out has become.

O+
Posted: Feb 19, 2010 at 1:35 Quote
valleyrider wrote:
Fun times! I couldn't believe what a mud pit Time Out has become.
Ya, the end of Time Out is getting real bad. It might be time to arrange a trail day (recruit as much labours as possible) to fix it up.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.022731
Mobile Version of Website