Powered by Outside

Your general impression of the session 88

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Your general impression of the session 88
  • Next Page
Posted: Dec 16, 2009 at 12:55 Quote
Well i must be lucky, because when i was riding in whistler there were some nasty rocks that hit my downtube....and i had the dreading feeling from all that i heard with this frame. When i looked, on a scratched area.
Lucky me i suppose...

Posted: Dec 16, 2009 at 13:21 Quote
hampsteadbandit...I agree that there appears to be some kind of weakness in relation to the thickness of some areas of the tubing, to be honest thats pretty crazy that they have all dented their frames...i believe what you are saying, but how are they denting them? Nasty stuff happening on ladder bridges, because if that is the case then it is more understandable.

both of these guys (the guy I mentioned who ruined his Remedy and the guy who ruined his Session 88 ) did this at Swinley Forest in SE England

for those who don't know, its a forest riding site (legal) with NO north shore or double dirt jumps, its a natural site with some tabletops and DH / FR style trails which are all berms and tables, as its a legal site with on-site rangers, the riders cannot build anything extreme or it gets removed by the rangers within a few days of construction

the guy with the Remedy folded his bike in the "jump gulley" at Swinley

its not extreme, more like a natural situation: he rode down a steep bank about 8 foot high, across a flat section and then tried to use the momentum to ride up a steep bank about 5 foot high - when he hit the steep bank (both the down and up banks have transitions onto and off the flat section) he was thrown over the handlebars as his Remedy came to a sudden stop

I've ridden this exact line on my Devinci Hectik (All-Mtn) and Mythic Wildcard (FR) without any issues

when he picked himself up, he was horrified that his Remedy was severely bent in the top and down tube, and the head tube looked funny, the fork would not turn

he had a long walk back to the car park, lifting / dragging his Remedy, and was told the bad news the next day in his local Trek Dealer

IF he had tried some insane "bender" huck on his Remedy, yeah it would be fair that his front triangle has failed, but it was a relatively mellow move, similar to any all-mtn riding, and his bike failed, that was a FAIL on Trek's part

when designing a frame, its a balance between weight and tube diameter / wall thickness / butting

I am in no doubt that the frame is an awesome ride, but if Trek have gone a little "lean" on the wall thicknesses to save frame weight and satisfy the "weight wheenie" market then its a bad choice

the guy who ruined his Session in Swinley is an animal, but tried to 360 (he is a good bmx rider) got it wrong, and bent his Session....

Posted: Dec 16, 2009 at 13:22 Quote
I Twisted my session so bad the wghole thing had to be replaced.

Posted: Dec 16, 2009 at 13:38 Quote
hampsteadbandit wrote:
hampsteadbandit...I agree that there appears to be some kind of weakness in relation to the thickness of some areas of the tubing, to be honest thats pretty crazy that they have all dented their frames...i believe what you are saying, but how are they denting them? Nasty stuff happening on ladder bridges, because if that is the case then it is more understandable.

both of these guys (the guy I mentioned who ruined his Remedy and the guy who ruined his Session 88 ) did this at Swinley Forest in SE England

for those who don't know, its a forest riding site (legal) with NO north shore or double dirt jumps, its a natural site with some tabletops and DH / FR style trails which are all berms and tables, as its a legal site with on-site rangers, the riders cannot build anything extreme or it gets removed by the rangers within a few days of construction

the guy with the Remedy folded his bike in the "jump gulley" at Swinley

its not extreme, more like a natural situation: he rode down a steep bank about 8 foot high, across a flat section and then tried to use the momentum to ride up a steep bank about 5 foot high - when he hit the steep bank (both the down and up banks have transitions onto and off the flat section) he was thrown over the handlebars as his Remedy came to a sudden stop

I've ridden this exact line on my Devinci Hectik (All-Mtn) and Mythic Wildcard (FR) without any issues

when he picked himself up, he was horrified that his Remedy was severely bent in the top and down tube, and the head tube looked funny, the fork would not turn

he had a long walk back to the car park, lifting / dragging his Remedy, and was told the bad news the next day in his local Trek Dealer

IF he had tried some insane "bender" huck on his Remedy, yeah it would be fair that his front triangle has failed, but it was a relatively mellow move, similar to any all-mtn riding, and his bike failed, that was a FAIL on Trek's part

when designing a frame, its a balance between weight and tube diameter / wall thickness / butting

I am in no doubt that the frame is an awesome ride, but if Trek have gone a little "lean" on the wall thicknesses to save frame weight and satisfy the "weight wheenie" market then its a bad choice

the guy who ruined his Session in Swinley is an animal, but tried to 360 (he is a good bmx rider) got it wrong, and bent his Session....

Agreed that the Remedy is a fail, the bent Session makes a lot more sense.
What about the second Session you mentioned?

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012156
Mobile Version of Website