Rim set-up

PB Forum :: BMX (20")
Rim set-up
  • Next Page
Posted: Jan 13, 2010 at 6:49 Quote
yes but with a no cross pattern each spoke is Independent from all the others. where as in a 3cross pattern the spoke is much more supported by the other ones it is toching, so it will be a much stronger wheel. the only advantage i can see to a no cross pattern is that it may lose you some weight.

Posted: Jan 15, 2010 at 18:53 Quote
robloveshiskona wrote:
yes but with a no cross pattern each spoke is Independent from all the others. where as in a 3cross pattern the spoke is much more supported by the other ones it is toching, so it will be a much stronger wheel. the only advantage i can see to a no cross pattern is that it may lose you some weight.
You are talking about radial lacing, not straight pull spokes.

Posted: Jan 15, 2010 at 18:57 Quote
Just to elaborate on above. Straight pull spoke = no J bend.

Posted: Jan 16, 2010 at 6:04 Quote
djritz wrote:
robloveshiskona wrote:
You are talking about radial lacing, not straight pull spokes.
yeah, radial lacing, i could remember waht it was called Confused

Posted: Jan 16, 2010 at 8:52 Quote
Radial lacing is stronger up and down, but weaker laterally. The more crosses, generally, the more lateral strength and less vertical strength.

Posted: Jan 16, 2010 at 19:06 Quote
ok so what should i do with the spokes then i have never laced a rim in my life so basicly i have gotten that i should radial lace it or get a shop to do it lol is that all?

Posted: Jan 16, 2010 at 19:46 Quote
from sheldon brown's website

Radial Spoking

Radial spoked (cross 0) wheels have the spokes going straight out from the hub. THIS PATTERN IS ONLY SUITABLE FOR FRONT WHEELS that don't use hub brakes. They are very cool-looking, and are often a good choice for the ultimate in performance, because they are slightly lighter and, in theory, may have a very slight aerodynamic edge.
There are two things to watch out for with radial wheels. Because the nipples point straight inward from the rim, they can turn more easily in most rims than when they are bent to a slight angle by a semi-tangent spoke pattern. This ease of turning increases the risk of them unscrewing themselves on the road. To prevent this, nipples on radial wheels should not be lubricated, and it is a good idea to use a spoke adhesive such as Wheelsmith Spoke Prep or one of the milder flavors of Loctite ® on them.

The other potential problem with radial wheels is that since the spokes are trailing straight outward on the hub flange, they can possibly rip the outer edge of the flange right off along the line of the spoke holes. This is most likely to happen with small flange 36 hole hubs, because there is less metal between the spoke holes. If a used hub is re-laced radially, the notches left by the old spokes can act as stress risers, further weakening the flange.

Many hub manufacturers specifically recommend against radial spoking for this reason, and will not honor warrantys on hubs that have been spoked radially.

Some folks will say that no bicycle wheels should be radially spoked for this reason, so do this at your own risk. In my experience, it's generally OK with good quality hubs that have forged shells.

If you want to take your chances and try a radial spoked front wheel, I would advise avoiding using thick spokes and very high tension. Since front wheels are generally pretty trouble-free compared with rears, you don't need super-high tension on a front wheel that uses a reasonable number of spokes.

Bicycle folklore has it that radial-spoked wheels give a "harsh" ride, because the shorter spokes are less "stretchy" than the longer spokes used in semi-tangent wheels. This is hooey!

Wheels with hub brakes and drive wheels should never be radially spoked. Due to the near perpendicular angle of the spoke to the hub's tangent, any torque applied at the hub of a radial spoked wheel will result in a very great increase in spoke tension, almost certainly causing hub or spoke failure.

Posted: Jan 16, 2010 at 19:48 Quote
http://sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html

here is the site if you want to learn more about wheel really good stuff to read.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011118
Mobile Version of Website