Powered by Outside

Being scammed over Paypal (Read 1st post)

PB Forum :: Scams & Stolen Bikes
Being scammed over Paypal (Read 1st post)
O+
Posted: Aug 29, 2022 at 4:11 Quote
bc-bike wrote:
JohnD62 wrote:
I'm having an issue with a seller on PB buy/sell. .
any update to your issue?

Contacting the Better Business Bureau (BBB) got PayPal to reopen the case. After reviewing it and contacting the seller, PP refunded my money.

The seller sent me a message saying he didn't know why PP didn't refund the money to begin with. I still don't think the seller understands what happened or how PP works.

I wasn't sure the BBB could help but in this case it worked out.

Posted: Nov 23, 2022 at 8:30 Quote
I just had recent transaction on Pink Bike and used Pay Pal and I opened a claim on this guy that sold a 2022 S works Levo . Just 17 days ago . The UPS tracking was an item he already sent the day before for only 25 lbs. and sent to some address in my City .Somehow the claim was listed as resolved and Pay pal said the only resolution was to go to the credit card company . So be aware Pay Pal assured me that I was covered but I was not .

If any body had an experience with this 2022 Levo s works November 6 th By Lacofdfiremen who allowed the ad to run for days after my sale . Also had other contact him still said it was available . Trying to provide my credit card company others with experience with this scam .

Posted: Nov 23, 2022 at 12:27 Quote
Got scammed on a bike purchase using paypal in October. Chase CC refunded my money while I waited for PP to investigate. NOW I just got notification that a credit card was opened in my name through Bank of America. So beware that the Pinkbike scam is just the beginning of identify theft.

Posted: Nov 29, 2022 at 5:30 Quote
JohnD62 wrote:
bc-bike wrote:
JohnD62 wrote:
I'm having an issue with a seller on PB buy/sell. .
any update to your issue?

Contacting the Better Business Bureau (BBB) got PayPal to reopen the case. After reviewing it and contacting the seller, PP refunded my money.

The seller sent me a message saying he didn't know why PP didn't refund the money to begin with. I still don't think the seller understands what happened or how PP works.

I wasn't sure the BBB could help but in this case it worked out.

Good to know I’ll get hold of BBB and have pay pal open the case since they said I closed it and I didn’t

Posted: Apr 7, 2023 at 11:44 Quote
Hi. Need advice on how to handle my situation.

I'm currently being scammed. I purchased a bike from user "northtown" this past Sunday (4/2/2023). After a few messages he invoiced me via PayPal and I paid. A couple of days passed with no updates from him, then on 4/5 I check my inbox and see that "northtown" was flagged as a scammer and all our messages are tagged as removed and his account was removed as well.

I went to PayPal and opened a dispute. The only thing I could select from the menu pertaining to my situation is that I have not received tracking info. A day later he provided tracking info via PayPal (in broken English) and they promptly closed my case on my behalf (strangely thanking me for choosing to cancel the case, which I didn't do). The tracking info indicates bike is shipping from IL, even though the ad said seller is in WY. Delivery expected on 4/11 and I'm eligible to reopen the case then.

What should I do when and if it's delivered? Should I open the box in the presence of the delivery guy and refuse if the contents is not what I expected? Should I accept and inspect later and open a dispute then? I'm worried about doing something wrong and losing out to the scammer.

Posted: Apr 7, 2023 at 11:48 Quote
sivanm wrote:
Hi. Need advice on how to handle my situation.

I'm currently being scammed. I purchased a bike from user "northtown" this past Sunday (4/2/2023). After a few messages he invoiced me via PayPal and I paid. A couple of days passed with no updates from him, then on 4/5 I check my inbox and see that "northtown" was flagged as a scammer and all our messages are tagged as removed and his account was removed as well.

I went to PayPal and opened a dispute. The only thing I could select from the menu pertaining to my situation is that I have not received tracking info. A day later he provided tracking info via PayPal (in broken English) and they promptly closed my case on my behalf (strangely thanking me for choosing to cancel the case, which I didn't do). The tracking info indicates bike is shipping from IL, even though the ad said seller is in WY. Delivery expected on 4/11 and I'm eligible to reopen the case then.

What should I do when and if it's delivered? Should I open the box in the presence of the delivery guy and refuse if the contents is not what I expected? Should I accept and inspect later and open a dispute then? I'm worried about doing something wrong and losing out to the scammer.

highly unlikely it will be delivered. the tracking is likely fraudulent. you have already lost out to the scammer. contact paypal again for dispute and if they won't do anything then file fraud case cancel payment with the credit card you used through paypal.

Posted: Apr 24, 2023 at 15:29 Quote
I resolved the issue with PayPal. Seller tracking number was fake, lots of calls were needed but it's over.

Posted: Aug 2, 2023 at 20:07 Quote
I was scammed on paypal today and no seller protection at all they just allow people to take money out of your bank account steal from you with no protection what soever ... i used to think paypal was okay but after today i will never use them again and recommend unless you want to get money stolen out of your account from online malicious people then don't use paypal

Posted: Aug 5, 2023 at 9:25 Quote
It's crazy how bad the scam problem has gotten. Try to have more detailed PM convos and ask for full names & info before negotiating. And even though it's been said, check the Scams & Stolen Bikes thread before proceeding.

Posted: Sep 21, 2023 at 13:11 Quote
PB instructs sellers to only ship to verified PayPal address. I live in HI and most sellers ship in-continent only. I want to have seller ship to my daughter's house in UT but according to PB, this would smell of a scam. Any advice?

Posted: Sep 25, 2023 at 17:22 Quote
Guys, help me see if this is a fraud, I asked the seller for a paypal account, but the seller is not willing to! The seller gave me a paypal QR code and asked me to scan the code for payment, because the previous payments were all through the account guarantee transactions, I am very confused now

Posted: Oct 19, 2023 at 10:52 Quote
I think I'm being scammed/already was scammed. The agreement on PayPal was to have a shipping label within 10 business days after funds are transferred from PayPal into a personal bank account. We have had lots of communication, about 30 messages, but in the last week there has been nothing from the seller. Today is 10 business days since the money was available to the seller I haven't listed their name or the add here yet because I'm still hopeful it isnt a scam. Seller also has a very long history with 48 sold items, some being sold this year. Should I be patient and wait a bit more or start the process to dispute the charges through PayPal?

Posted: Oct 19, 2023 at 12:25 Quote
mtbikemt wrote:
I think I'm being scammed/already was scammed. The agreement on PayPal was to have a shipping label within 10 business days after funds are transferred from PayPal into a personal bank account. We have had lots of communication, about 30 messages, but in the last week there has been nothing from the seller. Today is 10 business days since the money was available to the seller I haven't listed their name or the add here yet because I'm still hopeful it isnt a scam. Seller also has a very long history with 48 sold items, some being sold this year. Should I be patient and wait a bit more or start the process to dispute the charges through PayPal?

I suspect a scam. And just because a user has a good history of sales does NOT mean they aren't scammers - scammers have been hijacking old accounts - wolf in sheeps clothing.

Recommend take immediate action to recoup money.
Recommend report scammer on this thread:

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013645
Mobile Version of Website