PB Forum :: Norco
Norco Sight 2021 in the house
O+
Posted: Mar 16, 2024 at 5:12 Quote
atauro wrote:
PaulWolf wrote:
PaulWolf wrote:
Anyone having shock alignment issues?

Hi, I seem to be having a shock alignment issue on my 2020 Norco Sight A2. When I install the shock and tighten the Trunnion bolts first, everything fits but when I tighten the lower shock mount first, then the shock does not slide easily into the upper shock mount as it wants to sit about 2mm to the left side (non-drive side). The problem persists when the rear triangle is taken off so it doesn't be coming from a misaligned rear triangle. I checked all rear triangle bearings and they seem to be correctly seated. I will be attaching pictures of the offset as soon as I can. In the meantime, is anyone aware of a certain order that the shock needs to be mounted in, i.e. lower shock bolt first, then Trunnion bolts, or vice versa? Or is there a certain torque pattern? Should I offset the shock mounting hardware to correct for the 2mm offset? Thanks for any help!

P.S.: This misalignment resulted in stripped out Trunnion mounts on two different rear shocks so far. I really don't want to ruin a third one!

Here are some pictures:

https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/26348728/

https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/26348727/

https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/26348726/

You seem to have a custom link on the frame. Do you have the original linkarm to try fitting the shock on?

Yup, correct. Yes the problem is the same with the original link. The problem persists also with different rear shocks (tried 3 different ones) and different bolts and shock mounting hardware.

O+
Posted: Mar 16, 2024 at 5:13 Quote
(It’s the Cascade Components link)

O+
Posted: Mar 16, 2024 at 7:04 Quote
PaulWolf wrote:

I honestly don’t trust those links from my experience on the sight. They worked well, but when I installed the 2023 RockShox Super Deluxe Ultimate, there were clearance issues. Cascade Components said it shouldn’t be an issue, but there totally was one. The top of the shock would hit the link about 70 percent into travel and it actually dented the shock. Finally I recommended the link to a friend with an aluminum sight and his frame cracked right under the main pivot bolt. That had to be caused by the link. They feel great, but ever since all that I’ve kinda avoided them.

O+
Posted: Mar 17, 2024 at 8:18 Quote
birdsandtrees wrote:
PaulWolf wrote:

I honestly don’t trust those links from my experience on the sight. They worked well, but when I installed the 2023 RockShox Super Deluxe Ultimate, there were clearance issues. Cascade Components said it shouldn’t be an issue, but there totally was one. The top of the shock would hit the link about 70 percent into travel and it actually dented the shock. Finally I recommended the link to a friend with an aluminum sight and his frame cracked right under the main pivot bolt. That had to be caused by the link. They feel great, but ever since all that I’ve kinda avoided them.

Yikes! I have not had any clearance issues. Weird. Are you riding a carbon Sight?

O+
Posted: Mar 17, 2024 at 8:51 Quote
PaulWolf wrote:
birdsandtrees wrote:
PaulWolf wrote:

Yikes! I have not had any clearance issues. Weird. Are you riding a carbon Sight?

All these experiences were on two 2021 Aluminum frames.

O+
Posted: Mar 17, 2024 at 8:57 Quote
birdsandtrees wrote:
PaulWolf wrote:
birdsandtrees wrote:

All these experiences were on two 2021 Aluminum frames.

Bummer! Did you return the links? What about refunds? What about the cracked frame?

O+
Posted: Mar 17, 2024 at 9:50 Quote
I actually sold my sight and the link after I got my crash replacement frame and not sure my friend’s outcome of his cracked frame as we live in different states now.

O+
Posted: Mar 28, 2024 at 11:10 Quote
Yay, looks like Norco may send me a new front triangle after all. It's not fully decided yet but they seem open to the idea.

Had they not agreed to it, I would've looked into one of those spherical bearings: https://dhsign.it/en/19-fixshox-revo-fhit

Yea thanks for sharing your experience. I may not run the Cascade link after all hearing about your experience. I can see how it could put a lot of stress on the area right under the main pivot bolt. The leverage ratio at the starting point of the travel is already very high, 3.2 or so, and with the Cascade link it's even higher. I may instead try the MegNeg. I already run 2 regular tokens plus the Gnar Dog token.

O+
Posted: Mar 28, 2024 at 21:49 Quote
PaulWolf wrote:
Yay, looks like Norco may send me a new front triangle after all. It's not fully decided yet but they seem open to the idea.

Had they not agreed to it, I would've looked into one of those spherical bearings: https://dhsign.it/en/19-fixshox-revo-fhit

Yea thanks for sharing your experience. I may not run the Cascade link after all hearing about your experience. I can see how it could put a lot of stress on the area right under the main pivot bolt. The leverage ratio at the starting point of the travel is already very high, 3.2 or so, and with the Cascade link it's even higher. I may instead try the MegNeg. I already run 2 regular tokens plus the Gnar Dog token.

I definitely would suggest the MegNeg. That’s what was also suggested to me. By the time I got around to it, the new 2023 RockShox stuff was out so I upgraded to that instead. Like I said earlier, it did not fit with the Cascade Link. However when installed the original link, I did not miss the Cascade link at all. The HBO on the shock and the way it felt really solved the issue of me reaching bottom easy and it had way less pedal bob.

Let us know what Norco decides. It’d be a bummer if they just wanna sit on their “outdated” Sight frames.

O+
Posted: Apr 9, 2024 at 6:53 Quote
birdsandtrees wrote:
PaulWolf wrote:

I definitely would suggest the MegNeg. That’s what was also suggested to me. By the time I got around to it, the new 2023 RockShox stuff was out so I upgraded to that instead. Like I said earlier, it did not fit with the Cascade Link. However when installed the original link, I did not miss the Cascade link at all. The HBO on the shock and the way it felt really solved the issue of me reaching bottom easy and it had way less pedal bob.

Let us know what Norco decides. It’d be a bummer if they just wanna sit on their “outdated” Sight frames.

Still no final decision from Norco but my bike shop says it looks like they might send out a new frame (front and rear triangle and link) but no shock.

In the meantime I just wanted to report back on the spherical bearing that I had a chance to test during two 3-hr long rides through super rough terrain. It seems like it totally solved my problem, i.e. I was able to put the shock in at a slight angle no problem and it stayed put without any of the trunnion bolts coming loose and stripping out which is what happened previously. Shout out to DHSign in Italy for making these spherical bearings for all shock without special eyelets and the guys at EXT who recommended them to me!

So now it looks like I might be in a luxurious position of having to decide whether I want to keep running the old frame with the spherical bearing, and keep the new one as a spare, or sell the old one and ride the new one, or sell the new frame? Any thoughts? (FYI, if I were to sell the old one I would provide a full disclaimer of the history of the frame of course.)

I also got the MegNeg in the meantime and I am curious to try it out. Sending the CC link back today. I actually had some clearance issues on the seatstays as well with a 55 mm stroke shock. CC said it would be fine but it wasn't so sending it back. Not sure they're willing to give me a full refund because the link is slightly scrateched from thitting the end of the seatstays slightly but I think they should. Thoughts?

Many thanks in advance!

O+
Posted: Apr 9, 2024 at 7:06 Quote
When I got a replacement frame, I had to surrender the old frame.I don't think any bike manufacturers wants a defective frame in circulation.

O+
Posted: Apr 9, 2024 at 7:13 Quote
PaulWolf wrote:
birdsandtrees wrote:
PaulWolf wrote:

Still no final decision from Norco but my bike shop says it looks like they might send out a new frame (front and rear triangle and link) but no shock.

In the meantime I just wanted to report back on the spherical bearing that I had a chance to test during two 3-hr long rides through super rough terrain. It seems like it totally solved my problem, i.e. I was able to put the shock in at a slight angle no problem and it stayed put without any of the trunnion bolts coming loose and stripping out which is what happened previously. Shout out to DHSign in Italy for making these spherical bearings for all shock without special eyelets and the guys at EXT who recommended them to me!

So now it looks like I might be in a luxurious position of having to decide whether I want to keep running the old frame with the spherical bearing, and keep the new one as a spare, or sell the old one and ride the new one, or sell the new frame? Any thoughts? (FYI, if I were to sell the old one I would provide a full disclaimer of the history of the frame of course.)

I also got the MegNeg in the meantime and I am curious to try it out. Sending the CC link back today. I actually had some clearance issues on the seatstays as well with a 55 mm stroke shock. CC said it would be fine but it wasn't so sending it back. Not sure they're willing to give me a full refund because the link is slightly scrateched from thitting the end of the seatstays slightly but I think they should. Thoughts?

Many thanks in advance!

They will make you hacksaw the top tube before they send out replacement.

O+
Posted: Apr 9, 2024 at 7:28 Quote
birdsandtrees wrote:
PaulWolf wrote:
birdsandtrees wrote:

Many thanks in advance!

Really!?

O+
Posted: Apr 9, 2024 at 8:00 Quote
PaulWolf wrote:
birdsandtrees wrote:
PaulWolf wrote:

Many thanks in advance!

Really!?

That is what they made me do when they sent out a crash replacement frame.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007943
Mobile Version of Website