Powered by Outside

Fox X2 Needs to be recalled.

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Fox X2 Needs to be recalled.
Posted: Mar 11, 2024 at 12:53 Quote
Solorider13 wrote:
SPSuspension wrote:
boylagz wrote:
I just got an email stating my shocks are being shipped back to me this week. I sent out two 230x65s and one 230x62.5. The 62.5 is a perf version from an expert KSL. The other 2 were takeoffs I got off ebay. From the 3 invoices I'm getting the same 3 shocks with exact tunes/specs, all 230x62.5 shocks.

Check the box when it arrives- they will handwrite the travel change to 62.5 if they do it. We have sent in over 75 shocks since summer with zero issues. Really stoked how Fox handles this. They could have found a way to get money out of customers (like many other industries) but they didn't. Cheers for a company actually standing behind a product when a mistake happens!

I just got a brand new bike with an X2 that was squelching before even riding it.

As a matter of principle I refuse to pay to get this shock to them, it literally has failed out of the box.

They are giving me some pushback on that. The idea that a customer should be responsible for shipping a literally brand new shock back to them for “warranty review” is ridiculous, especially when the issue has been so widespread and documented, and even acknowledged by the brand.

I will see how it goes

Agreed about having the shop handle it, but also have you tried riding it? I've had a lot of new shocks over the years that sounded pretty funny out of the box, but worked out fine. Riding it isn't going to void the warranty, might as well give it some time to see how it goes.

Posted: Mar 11, 2024 at 14:44 Quote
Unfortunately it was not purchased through a bike shop, I did ride it , it goes away after a bunch of compressions but returns once you stop. Either way it is not functioning correctly, it should be be squelching at all.

I just find it annoying more than anything, I want them to cover the shipping out of principle more than I care about 25 dollars. These are the moments where a Company either gains your business or loses it, and I’m not impressed. It’s a shame too, I’ve always had them service my previous forks and shocks because it was a simple process.

I guess I’ll stick with Ohlins from here on out

O+
Posted: Mar 11, 2024 at 15:03 Quote
Solorider13 wrote:
I just find it annoying more than anything, I want them to cover the shipping out of principle more than I care about 25 dollars. These are the moments where a Company either gains your business or loses it, and I’m not impressed. It’s a shame too, I’ve always had them service my previous forks and shocks because it was a simple process.

Its shitty, but its pretty typical for any warranty program.. you have to pay postage on sending the goods there - they typically cover shipping for the new product...

What gripes me more is that warranty work doesnt cover labour in the bike industry.
I had a hub blow up under warranty... I was going to be out of pocket $100 to have a shop relace and true the wheel when I got the replacement back.
Thats when i bought myself a bottle of bourbon and fired up the old Youtubes to teach myself how to lace.
i still cant dish or true for shit, so I pay a shop $20 for that part.

Posted: Mar 11, 2024 at 15:39 Quote
Solorider13 wrote:
Unfortunately it was not purchased through a bike shop, I did ride it , it goes away after a bunch of compressions but returns once you stop. Either way it is not functioning correctly, it should be be squelching at all.

I guess I’ll stick with Ohlins from here on out

Not to antagonize you, but if your car has a warranty issue, the dealer will not pay your fuel or time to get it there. If towed in I think most cover that, but I ride MTB so have never owned a new car with warranty lol! In my opinion, when issues like these arise in any industry (especially auto/moto) the shop/manufacturer will try to get us to pay of half or something. The fact that Fox is taking care of this at all is pretty cool. Hope your shock comes back quick because those X2 are pretty awesome!

Posted: Mar 11, 2024 at 15:47 Quote
Is it that awesome they are warrantying a shock on a brand new bike? It comes with a 1 year warranty, they are literally not going out of their way to do anything extraordinary in this instance.

Like I said, it’s more frustration that I have to do this in the first place, and on top of paying to ship my bike to my house, I have to warranty the shock without even riding it.

I’ll send it in, just venting is alll

Posted: Mar 11, 2024 at 20:16 Quote
I do think FOX should be commended for warranteeing particularly older but non the less defective X2's no questions asked, that's good customer service. However for as much as bicycle and suspension manufacturers charge for quality shocks and bicycles in general, and considering that they are just recreational purchases, I think it's also in their best interest to do this, I can certainly understand why the owner of a new expensive bike might be upset over a faulty high end component right out of the box.

Posted: Mar 14, 2024 at 5:22 Quote
I sent a squelching 2021 X2(not in warranty anymore) to Fox through a local bike shop/service 5 weeks ago, just got a call from them saying they are asking for ~240$ + transport fees for it, apparently not everyone is getting a new 2024 shock for free. I'm thinking if it's good idea to pay for it hoping I'll get the 2024 internals or I better get it back and repair it for 100$ at a local good bike service. What do you think?
It was sent to Germany I think, the European service center.

Posted: Mar 14, 2024 at 7:22 Quote
turcandan wrote:
I sent a squelching 2021 X2(not in warranty anymore) to Fox through a local bike shop/service 5 weeks ago, just got a call from them saying they are asking for ~240$ + transport fees for it, apparently not everyone is getting a new 2024 shock for free. I'm thinking if it's good idea to pay for it hoping I'll get the 2024 internals or I better get it back and repair it for 100$ at a local good bike service. What do you think?
It was sent to Germany I think, the European service center.

I didn’t get a free replacement for my X2 - but then it was out of warranty. I paid for a service and postage to send it to the Uk Distributor. Think it was about £120 ish from memory. Came back with a new shock shaft, new trunnion top section and a list of new parts used. Was quite happy with that - but if in warranty I wouldn’t have been expecting to pay anything but postage.

Just in the above point if your local suspension service centre just replaces with pre-2024 bits that’s a bad plan. You want the 2024 updated parts.

Posted: Mar 15, 2024 at 20:43 Quote
Sending my X2 into get replaced. Has anyone noticed or heard of any performance improvements due to the updated version? Or does it just stop making weird sounds?

Posted: Mar 16, 2024 at 8:45 Quote
Not aware of any performance improvement - just hopefully more reliable. Some of the trunnion ones have been cracking on one end - so that’s what that replacement part is presumably for. One of the seals inside has had the material changed and been doubled up I think - that’s the one to stop the aeration of the oil which I think is the cause of the squelch.

Posted: Mar 16, 2024 at 18:12 Quote
JoeBristol wrote:
Not aware of any performance improvement - just hopefully more reliable. Some of the trunnion ones have been cracking on one end - so that’s what that replacement part is presumably for. One of the seals inside has had the material changed and been doubled up I think - that’s the one to stop the aeration of the oil which I think is the cause of the squelch.

cool thanks, I'll just be happy that the squelch sound is gone....its pretty lame.

Posted: Mar 30, 2024 at 23:40 Quote
I got a Transition Patrol last summer from my local shop. Olnly rode the bike 2 times (once in sunpeaks, once in Whistler) and it was good.
The bike has sat since then (start of August)
I went to ride the bike today around the block and noticed my x2 was making a squishy air sounding noise.

Is this the issue that most of you are seeing? Bike will be 1 year in June, should I get the local bike shop to check it out or does this sound like a fox warranty issue?

Posted: Apr 2, 2024 at 17:49 Quote
bikingalltheway wrote:
I got a Transition Patrol last summer from my local shop. Olnly rode the bike 2 times (once in sunpeaks, once in Whistler) and it was good.
The bike has sat since then (start of August)
I went to ride the bike today around the block and noticed my x2 was making a squishy air sounding noise.

Is this the issue that most of you are seeing? Bike will be 1 year in June, should I get the local bike shop to check it out or does this sound like a fox warranty issue?

Throw the serial number into fox's website. If it's not a 2024 (sounds like it isn't) just send it in.

Posted: Apr 2, 2024 at 17:51 Quote
CobyCobie wrote:
boylagz wrote:
CobyCobie wrote:

Where? I can't find anything on the box.

Otherwise very happy- sent in a Performance with 3 rides on it and got a Factory. Will supplement my DHX2 nicely Smile
The 65 was handwritten in 2 of the 3 boxes, lower left.

photo

Thanks! I will have to triple check tonight but mine just has 65 printed there (should be 62.5).

I emailed and they SAID it was shortened to 62.5 and would have been tested. I guess I will be very careful when I install it.

I'm wondering if they just did it on yours because you had multiple coming and they needed to differentiate between strokes.

Also, looking at part numbers I don't think they have one for a 205x62.5. Makes it seem like all trunnion 62.5s would just come in a box that says 65.

Update: they definitely did get the stroke right despite no indication anywhere. Tested it and it works fantastic. Feels a lot like my DHX2 haha.

Posted: Apr 3, 2024 at 9:15 Quote
Question for anyone that went from a Float X to an X2. Aside from the added adjustments, did you notice enough of a real-world performance to make it worthwhile? My biggest complaint with the X is soaking up high-speed chatter.

Currently mulling over trying an X2, or jumping straight to a coil

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010018
Mobile Version of Website