Powered by Outside

Official trail dog owners thread!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Official trail dog owners thread!
O+
Posted: Dec 20, 2015 at 12:40 Quote
lifeofloon wrote:
bkchef2000 wrote:
so after nearly two years after our last dog passed away, my wife and I have found a new bundle of joy to add to the clan. We found a beautiful 1 year old English (block head) Black Lab. The owner was planning on using her as a Show dog for the AKC but she didn't fit the height and weight requirements. We are uber excited and I am stoked to have a new riding partner! January 16th is going to be a fantastic day for our family!

Awesome! My first dog was an American black lab. I've always loved the look of the English though.

Yeah our first was an American yellow. She was easily the best dog I've ever owned in my life. Obedient, playful and loving. Labs are that

Posted: Jan 9, 2016 at 10:54 Quote
Sitting on my lap after a session in the woods. Not fair on him to run back 7 miles on tarmac.

Riding the 7 miles home on my lap having done 14 in the woods!!

Posted: Apr 5, 2016 at 9:49 Quote
New Norco Range C7.3 and my traildog Paddington

My traildog Paddington.
He's a vizsla mix and he loves the trails

Posted: Apr 7, 2016 at 14:52 Quote
We've got a 5 year old GSP who has been coming out on the trails since he was about 2yrs. He absolutely loves it and gets super excited as soon as the bikes come out.
I know a lot of peeps get annoyed with dogs on trails but I'm a firm believer as long as they don't cause peeps issues there is nowt wrong with it. We have been to two trail centres this week and everyone thought he was ace.

One thing worth teaching them is that when he hears a freehub buzzing up behind him he moves to side of tail so I can spin past. He then catches my back up on the climbs.
Keeps everyone happy then, I think?

Posted: Apr 20, 2016 at 19:48 Quote
lifeofloon wrote:

Thats and awesome dog man ![/Quote]

Thanks. He was a about a year old when we rescued him from a kill shelter. He's the most sensitive gentle bruiser there is. He sees the bike shoes come out and he starts getting excited. Depending on the heat he can go anywhere from 10-20 miles and still pull me home.[/Quote]
How well does he hold up on long rides?

O+
Posted: Apr 21, 2016 at 19:48 Quote
When it's cooler he has no problems with a 20 mile ride. I stop at every water crossing for him to cool off and grab a drink. If the water is spread out I carry a collapsible bowl in my shorts pocket so that I can give him water easily. I think of him as an athlete. He get his exorcise and training to keep him in shape for riding and I understand his limits, he doesn't do a 20 mile ride off the couch. I make sure he's well hydrated, well nourished, keep an eye on his gait got irregularities, and check his paws for any damage. Some days he just needs a rest. Not often though.

Posted: Apr 22, 2016 at 1:54 Quote
Views: 352    Faves: 1    Comments: 2

Posted: Jan 16, 2017 at 14:45 Quote
Suzi in chase mode........love her Smile

photo

Posted: Jan 17, 2017 at 2:22 Quote
I'm really keen to get a dog harness, interested to see how it'd come out as the tend to follow the trails perfectly!

Posted: Jan 17, 2017 at 5:21 Quote
https://www.pinkbike.com/video/463044/

Posted: Jan 18, 2017 at 1:02 Quote
This is my favourite thread!

Posted: Jan 6, 2020 at 20:18 Quote
jkad wrote:
Here's my dog Archer! he is a rescue dog, was saved the day he was to be put down!!
Once living on the streets of NYC, now roams the country side trails!
He truly loves to run in the woods...

photo
photo

This thread needs to be back in the mix.
I don't know if you're still around, but thought you'd get a kick out of this. I'm in Australia, and rescued a dog just recently, past his date for execution, who is now in training as a trail dog - bikejorring or mushing is what we're doing. My trails are close to highway, and he's still a bit independent.

photo
photo
photo

Good brakes are a must. Acceleration is mighty impressive, no matter what you ride.

O+
Posted: Jan 7, 2020 at 15:30 Quote
My dog got older and developed arthritis since the last post haha. He has since retired!

Posted: Jan 8, 2020 at 7:37 Quote
I have a mutt and I think he part Boston terrier miniature pinscher and he is a really great dog until we bump into wildlife. I'll have to see if I have a video. Best part about him? Only $11.

Posted: Jan 8, 2020 at 17:44 Quote
poncho467 wrote:
My dog got older and developed arthritis since the last post haha. He has since retired!

That is the unfortunate side effect of running a dog like that. I had a Lab that loved to follow me on my dirt bike, and lived to retrieve a tennis ball. She lived to 13 and like you say, slowed down a lot prior.

I have a yr old Aussie now and she loves to run with my bicycle, but I have not trained her. I am too old and don't want to risk both us if she decides to cut in front or nip at my feet. Haha, which she also likes to do.

Enjoy seeing the pics.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016381
Mobile Version of Website