Powered by Outside

What is the best DH wheelset on the market?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
What is the best DH wheelset on the market?
Posted: Feb 12, 2011 at 0:16 Quote
Toll wrote:
typecaRl wrote:
Fair enough. You make a good case. But I still personally would not like Alloy spokes and or nipples on my bike. Nor would most average Jo's. I like to build my wheels to last. I guess if you was in race situation and it didnt matter about throwing away a wheel each season as your sponsor just gives ya a new one anyways. Other than for race purpose I cant see any other use or sense in them. In fact Im still struggling to see the sense in them even for race use but thats just me.

Build your heavy ass wheelset and never ....... nevermind. Tight ass, crap. I mean are ya that broke that you can only afford ONE wheelset ever,are you a hack and don't know how to ride? If you work at a shop you most definitely have a hook up right? Hell I don't work at a shop and get shop pricing on most my stuff. Dude I find you and everything you are saying irritating. Sorry for the freak out rant, but man.

Dude what are you smoking? lol Why would I need more than one wheel set? And my wheels arent heavy.

Posted: Feb 12, 2011 at 0:27 Quote
Nobble wrote:
then you must have got lucky or something, cause it happened to me and my friend,
nips weren't prepped properly then.

Best for me is relatively inexpensive and bombproof...

So i got my rear wheel... 729 laced to a Pro 2 SS with DT champ spokes and DT brass nipples.

Posted: Feb 12, 2011 at 0:29 Quote
typecaRl wrote:
Toll wrote:
typecaRl wrote:
Fair enough. You make a good case. But I still personally would not like Alloy spokes and or nipples on my bike. Nor would most average Jo's. I like to build my wheels to last. I guess if you was in race situation and it didnt matter about throwing away a wheel each season as your sponsor just gives ya a new one anyways. Other than for race purpose I cant see any other use or sense in them. In fact Im still struggling to see the sense in them even for race use but thats just me.

Build your heavy ass wheelset and never ....... nevermind. Tight ass, crap. I mean are ya that broke that you can only afford ONE wheelset ever,are you a hack and don't know how to ride? If you work at a shop you most definitely have a hook up right? Hell I don't work at a shop and get shop pricing on most my stuff. Dude I find you and everything you are saying irritating. Sorry for the freak out rant, but man.

Dude what are you smoking? lol Why would I need more than one wheel set? And my wheels arent heavy.

Not getting into the argument... LOL but as far as more than 1 wheelset-
1- A buddy cased a drop and tacoed his wheel I had my other wheelset in the truck... We kept riding...
2- It snowed the night before our ride and I keep spikes on hte other wheelset swaped em and rode
3- cracked my rim on my practice run and swapped the rear right before my race run

Thats just 3 that I have had happen, so more than 1 wheelset is not too bad of an idea... I have 2 wheelsets for each bike...

I keep different tires on each and depending on season or what state Im at at the time single ply on one set and DH on the other so I can diversify my rides.

OK you guys are free to continue arguing!

Posted: Feb 12, 2011 at 4:22 Quote
Dont get me wrong Im all for having the odd spare parts. But major parts such as wheels... Where do you stop? Spare forks, Spare shock, Spare frame??? lol

Posted: Feb 12, 2011 at 6:32 Quote
typecaRl wrote:
Dont get me wrong Im all for having the odd spare parts. But major parts such as wheels... Where do you stop? Spare forks, Spare shock, Spare frame??? lol
sure. Spare everything if one can afford it.

Posted: Feb 12, 2011 at 11:46 Quote
I had to full builds at one point of the same bike and now I have 2 full dh/fr builds with enough parts to pro ahoy build a 3rd and have leftovers.....

Point is its not a pissing match and toll its not about affording it... its about finding screaming deals on on stuff and buying it for backup...

Posted: Feb 19, 2011 at 19:52 Quote
Anyone know when the saint wheels or rims hit the market

Posted: Feb 20, 2011 at 18:47 Quote
bullcrew wrote:
From best to worst
engagement - I9, hadley, deemax/Outlaws
Rolling resistance - hadley, I9 (3 pawls), deemax/outlaw

Just an FYI...

I did a LOT of experimentation with the I9 rear hubs, and I sent my findings to I9 (my work got me a free t-shirt and their latest grease made by Rock 'N Roll, and a 'this guy is nuts' reputation there).

Anyway, whether you run three pawls or six pawls does not make any conceivable difference in drag. The biggest source of drag on that hub's freewheeling is the big 40x52 61808 bearing (and lets face it, that is a big bearing so represents a lot of 'torque' to overcome, unlike if it was a smaller bearing with less leverage, if you know what I mean). The single factor that makes that 61808 bearing drag is the grease in it. Run the thinnest grease in it you can (Phil's tenacious oil is too thin and centrifuged its way out) and it will make a bigger difference than dropping from 6 pawls to 3. The grease even makes more of a difference than running without seals (trust me, I tired every variable).

And for others wanting to run I9 hubs, just remember they do normal flanged hubs so you don't have to go with their aluminum spokes.

[EDIT] I'm not saying you shouldn't run only 3 pawls, but if you want less drag but still want 120 POE, look at the 61808 grease first.

Posted: Mar 13, 2011 at 5:30 Quote
want to know what is best value DH rim?

im stuck between getting a superstar wheelset and getting the hope hubs with say a mavic ex823 rim or something like that.

also wondering if spending the extra £100 on hope is worth it as i only would be doing it for the awesome noise they make lol

Posted: Mar 13, 2011 at 13:49 Quote
hope huns are my favorite, and not because they're loud.

Strong, easy to service, good customer support. low maintainance, and if you like them loud, it's loud as F*CK even when it's packed full of grease, and they're CHEAP

for hoops, i use a 729 in the rear and i'm hoping to get a 721 for the front.

729 is stupid strong, and not too expensive

Posted: Mar 22, 2011 at 12:35 Quote
Is anyone running Mavic UST 823s?
If so, did you run the recommended 16mm nipples or the standard 12mm nipples?
I'm building up a set of 823s on CK hubs for a buddy and he ordered 12mm nipples :/

Posted: Apr 16, 2011 at 20:53 Quote
Outlaws, Atomlabs or Transitions 32's? Then considering profile hubs but to what rim? (depends on what kind of deal i could get on the profiles) This is for DH btw...
Suggestions

Posted: Dec 9, 2012 at 14:11 Quote
What is the best DH wheelset for my session 8, i wanna race it at snowshoe and the GES, not too $$$ tho, i have cousin earls on it and DT Swiss 1800 on my remedy 9 and love them.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.137541
Mobile Version of Website