Powered by Outside

ZIP TIE Chain Guide how to

PB Forum :: Tutorials
ZIP TIE Chain Guide how to
Posted: Jun 15, 2010 at 11:35 Quote
I replaced my zip tie chain guide with this
photo

Posted: Jun 15, 2010 at 12:05 Quote
re posting since my post is now lost on the previous page and very much would like some guidance (no pun intended) with this DYI mod.

I am about to make my own zip tie guide using the plastic bobbin technique however I am not sure if I should put it on the top or bottom part of the chain and how far or how tight I should make it based on my frame and drivetrain restrictions.

Here is a pic of the area in question. Please help me determine where and how I should put it. Thanks guys!

photo

O+
Posted: Jun 21, 2010 at 8:20 Quote
WHat kind of bike?? FS or HT???

Posted: Jun 21, 2010 at 10:56 Quote
Its a FS enduro pro 2001. I ended up making it pretty well with the bobbin but really it was so firggin noisy that it drove me nuts and I ripped it off. Just going to drop my outer ring eventually and buy a proper one... I cant deal with the extra noise. Im a sound guy professionally..

Posted: Jul 7, 2010 at 20:17 Quote
oldschoolsanta wrote:
I replaced my zip tie chain guide with this
photo
hahah nice hope it can out perform your ziptie one lol i still havnt

Posted: Jul 8, 2010 at 1:05 Quote
Here's one I did for a friend, the roller is from a blackspire that didn't fit the bike.

photo

Posted: Jul 28, 2010 at 23:44 Quote
^^^ Nice, JosX.

I would be using a zip-tie chainguide but I have a used one coming in the mail Smile

Posted: Mar 2, 2013 at 13:46 Quote
My ghetto chain guide with zip ties and a old derailleur wheel xD Been working fine till now
This is my chain guide on a elevated chainstay bike, has worked fine on 3 plates for me and full suspension bike

Posted: Apr 17, 2013 at 9:49 Quote
hardtaildh08 wrote:
marquis wrote:
hardtaildh08 wrote:

chain guides dont cost hunders of dollars ( or pounds ) you can buy them cheap as hell they look better perform better and will last alot longer and for you spending all that on saint drivetrain you could of baught truvative strong cheap and will have left you money to but the chain guide

why to replace the truvativ in future.

why is everyone so like bitchy over a chain guide,a few years ago no one had one apart from the dcd,and when i look at where the zip ties are mounted they are near enough where the dcd was mounted.
ok but in all honesty why do this when it could snap off half way down a trail and do that repeatedly but if you just save up youl probably get a chain guide for the same amount youv spent on cable ties and reels

I agree this thread is full of some of the most pikey looking pieces of crap I've ever seen. Chain guides/Tensioners are available in all sorts of flavours/designs now, they can be bought pretty cheap and normally last well, I wouldnt trust a few cable ties and bits of duct tape to hold it all together !

Andy

Posted: Jul 28, 2013 at 18:46 Quote
Thanks a bunch guys,
lots of awesome ideas here. I know more than a couple people who have trashed there truvativ chain guide and they are not affordable to replace for most people, and they way to bend easy. The people who have bent them are not heavy 170 LBS and under Not extreme riders ether...

My bike has one and I`m always overly gentle when going over logs &... but great to know there is many affordable options I don`t feel so ripped off know....

Posted: Aug 16, 2013 at 19:26 Quote
Hey guys, so i tried to make one of these this morning but the ziptie tensioning the chain just seemed to grip the chain and move with it until it couldnt move/stretch any further and then it would move back to the origonal position with a horrible clicking noise (not running any roller or anything as mum wouldnt let me raid the sewing machine parts to get a bobbin) and the tie is already pretty tight and i dont want to void shifting into the upper chainrings..any thoughts/suggestions would be much appreciated

Thanks in a advance Smile

Posted: Mar 2, 2014 at 18:35 Quote
Didn't like my zip tie version so I took two Specialized plastic tire cards (used two layers glued together) and made a guide. Nylon bushing/two nylon washers fit/glued perfect together to create flange. Seems to work really well even with a triple. I'll probably pull the walls together a little with a couple of ties to tighten it up for plenty of crank clearance. Will camo it with gorilla tape so it doesn't scream white. Figured I'd post this in case it'll help someone else. My apology if this is has been done before (didn't read all 20 pages) and thanks heaps for the ideas on this thread. tup

photo

photo

Posted: Aug 24, 2016 at 11:19 Quote
photo
So I made my own version with a used a spool from a sewing machine as a roller and the plastic that comes around a wrench when you buy it. I put s a screw and some lube through the spool and with 2 (would have used at least 3, but only had 2) zip ties to the chain stay, and it works! but if I land a bit sideways the chain will fall off, but I think it falls off from the top, not the bottom anymore.

Posted: Aug 24, 2016 at 11:23 Quote
Why not buy a proper chain guide ? It will work better and prevent you from being a laughing stock.

Posted: Aug 24, 2016 at 13:06 Quote
Cause we should totally care what people laugh at.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.018008
Mobile Version of Website