Powered by Outside

Suspension SETUP, a 'how to' guide...

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Suspension SETUP, a 'how to' guide...
Posted: Jul 13, 2021 at 11:59 Quote
Noeserd wrote:
I have a 2017 enduro with cane creek dbair il shock, on rough and fast parts of the track rear suspension hangs up on things and slows me down a lot. How can i solve it?

Rebound and compression is fairly open

270psi %28 sag

If you want your bike's suspension to respond and settle faster you need to set your compression and rebound to a higher click setting. Higher spring rates in tires and forks/rear shock would also help with this as it should generate quicker frequencies, but at the expense of harsher/quicker response for the rider. It's a balance that you have to play with.

Posted: Jul 15, 2021 at 0:29 Quote
brianl wrote:
jimbomodder wrote:
Hi all, I've got myself a set of what looks like 09 f-series 80mm forks for cheap as original owner says they need a service/oil change. He stats that the lockout doesn't do as much as it used to and when he tips upside down he hears something move inside. Could it be that they are just low on oil? Also which fox oil do they need as one site claims 7wt but can't find fox 7wt oil anyway.
look for the 4-digit code on the fork and enter that into ridefox.com (or look up the model and year) to access specs, manuals etc.
ok I'll take cheers

Posted: Jul 15, 2021 at 17:37 Quote
Hi guys i have a Rockshox Boxxer team coil and when i have the rebound set to fast the fork makes a clunk noise (top out) when i pull up hard on the bars . Os this normal ?
Thanks!

Posted: Jul 15, 2021 at 18:10 Quote
Blackmetalgoat wrote:
Hi guys i have a Rockshox Boxxer team coil and when i have the rebound set to fast the fork makes a clunk noise (top out) when i pull up hard on the bars . Os this normal ?
Thanks!

You asked this in the mechanics lounge and 6 people gave you the correct answer and it was yes it's normal

Posted: Jul 15, 2021 at 19:11 Quote
cyberoptixs wrote:
Blackmetalgoat wrote:
Thanks!

You asked this in the mechanics lounge and 6 people gave you the correct answer and it was yes it's normal
yes i did , cuz there are forks that dont do that , and im getting worried because Im pretty sure it didnt "top out" a few weeks ago ...

Posted: Jul 16, 2021 at 2:07 Quote
went from 35% sag to 27-30% to make my bike more pedal-friendly

with the increased pressure lost a bit small bump compliance
on a monarch plus debonair instal one or two volume spacer will make it more supple over the top?

Posted: Jul 16, 2021 at 11:27 Quote
machuqueiro wrote:

on a monarch plus debonair instal one or two volume spacer will make it more supple over the top?
I had a Debonair can on a Monarch RT, and I added some spacers in the negative chamber, which did reduce sag a bit. Is that what you mean?

Is there an option to add compression damping to make if more pedal friendly?

Posted: Jul 16, 2021 at 13:08 Quote
brianl wrote:
machuqueiro wrote:

I had a Debonair can on a Monarch RT, and I added some spacers in the negative chamber, which did reduce sag a bit. Is that what you mean?

no, as now I'm using more pressure have lost some small bump compliance.
my question is if add tokens / volume spacers will gain some small bump compliance? or will make the shock just more progressive?

Posted: Jul 16, 2021 at 18:18 Quote
machuqueiro wrote:
brianl wrote:
machuqueiro wrote:

no, as now I'm using more pressure have lost some small bump compliance.
my question is if add tokens / volume spacers will gain some small bump compliance? or will make the shock just more progressive?
Often reducing air can volume hurts mid-stroke support but the Debonair can is supposed to help with that. After reducing the volume you need to run less pressure to make it softer off the top with similar bottoming resistance, so it it's free to to try and see. You just need to let out the air and remove the outer sleeve to add Debonair bands (unless you're talking about internal spacers).

My comment about damping is because Debonair cans, because of their larger negative chamber, tend to sag around 35%, so rather than fighting that with excessive pressure, add stability with compression damping, if it's adjustable.

Posted: Jul 18, 2021 at 19:42 Quote
Has anyone running a 38 found it to have any quirks or tendencies that I should be prepared for? I’ve got one coming and just want to make sure I get the most out of it.

Thanks

Posted: Jul 24, 2021 at 11:33 Quote
Quick question, can I use rock oil 7.5wt oil in fox forks? Specifically F-series model.

Posted: Jul 27, 2021 at 14:31 Quote
jimbomodder wrote:
Quick question, can I use rock oil 7.5wt oil in fox forks? Specifically F-series model.

You can but I wouldn't recommend it.

Your best bet is Fox's Green 10wt. It was the official replacement for their 7wt.

Posted: Jul 27, 2021 at 14:32 Quote
twonsarelli wrote:
Has anyone running a 38 found it to have any quirks or tendencies that I should be prepared for? I’ve got one coming and just want to make sure I get the most out of it.

Thanks

With how linear the air spring is off the top, run more pressure than recommended.

Posted: Jul 27, 2021 at 19:11 Quote
z-man wrote:
twonsarelli wrote:

Thanks

With how linear the air spring is off the top, run more pressure than recommended.

Awesome thanks. Should be arriving in the next couple of days. Stoked to see how it compares to the new 36 that I’ve been running all year.

Posted: Aug 13, 2021 at 5:07 Quote
doxey91 wrote:
I recently heard on a bike radar podcast with Chris Porter a trick to help tune some forks due to small negative air springs, by letting all the air out completely, so the fork is bottomed out and sliding a cable tie down the wiper seal. Then pumping the fork back up to create negative pressure in the lowers. I imagine this will give a small bit of suck down depending on the positive pressure used but I thought it was interesting and wondered is anyone here had tried it or had an opinion on it. I would go out and try it myself but currently waiting for a new rear wheel to arrive.

I have recently tested this theory and can confirm it feels pretty special well worth a try. I had to run slightly more air pressure than normal roughly 5psi but front end grip was sensational. My only gripe was the rear of the bike felt no where near as good. Also there was about 10-15mm of suck down however I run a 180 for on a stumpjumper Evo so probably works slightly in my favour.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.059609
Mobile Version of Website