Powered by Outside

Top 5 rear shocks

PB Forum :: Downhill
Top 5 rear shocks
Posted: Jul 20, 2011 at 8:18 Quote
jpzworldskater wrote:
Does anyone else come to threads like this when trying to purchase a new shock and then leave even more confused? That's how I feel, haha

Tell us about yourself.

By that I mean your weight, your style, your stomping grounds, and what bike you ride.

O+
Posted: Jul 20, 2011 at 8:48 Quote
sherbet wrote:
jpzworldskater wrote:
Does anyone else come to threads like this when trying to purchase a new shock and then leave even more confused? That's how I feel, haha

Tell us about yourself.
By that I mean your weight, your style, your stomping grounds, and what bike you ride.

6'3, 185 lbs, like to be flowy and go off the biggest jumps/drops i can find, but also enjoy steep rocky downhill, I ride Diablo and Highland a lot, and currently have a Iron Horse 7Point3 (which may need to go soon, unless a new rear shock will give it a better feel)

Posted: Jul 20, 2011 at 9:17 Quote
problem with Pinkbike is that people will usually consider what they own as being "the best". it's hard to quantify without having experience with all the tops shocks.

what rear shock do you have on your IH now?

Posted: Jul 20, 2011 at 9:29 Quote
I've ridden an older Avy for 5 years and loved it, Went to a CCDB and loved it even more. I lucked out since the factory settings worked well on my DHR and i just have to do some minor adjustments. I cant speak for other shocks since I haven't ridden them, but I love my CCDB

Posted: Jul 20, 2011 at 9:44 Quote
I've just gone to a CCDB on my Makulu and it feels stunning; I think mostly because it has such a monumental range of adjust so you can set it up exactly how you want which counts for a lot. I have ridden a prototype BOS for a season, an Elka stage 5 last season and the CCDB is comfortably better. That said the Elka stage 5 was phenomenal performance for value, in my opinion it felt much better than a RC4 at it's pretty cheap as top end shocks go.

O+
Posted: Jul 20, 2011 at 12:57 Quote
thereisnospoon wrote:
what rear shock do you have on your IH now?

A manitou metal...

O+
Posted: Jul 20, 2011 at 13:47 Quote
iceman8 wrote:
I've just gone to a CCDB on my Makulu and it feels stunning; I think mostly because it has such a monumental range of adjust so you can set it up exactly how you want which counts for a lot. I have ridden a prototype BOS for a season, an Elka stage 5 last season and the CCDB is comfortably better. That said the Elka stage 5 was phenomenal performance for value, in my opinion it felt much better than a RC4 at it's pretty cheap as top end shocks go.

Were you able to tune out bob without making the low-speed too rigid?

Posted: Jul 20, 2011 at 14:01 Quote
Yeah, the Makulu pedals really well to start off with though so it was never really a problem. I run my low speed super soft with quite a large ramp up for the high speed and have never felt like I'm loosing power if that makes sense. I know it's pinkbike standard chat to say your own set up is the best out there, and trust me I have had some w**k set ups but the makulu with CCDB and 40s really does feel as great as all the reviews say. Anyway that is savagely off topic; I would say CCDB, BOS then Elka for my top 3 but value wise I would say Elka then CCDB

O+
Posted: Jul 20, 2011 at 14:03 Quote
Want an Elka for my Highline , the DHX feels like crap unless its opened all the way up. I'd have a hard time passing up a deal on a CCDB also...

Posted: Jul 27, 2011 at 6:11 Quote
I'm running the Vivid Air and it's really good.
Better and lighter than my Vivid 5.1 and Ti

A really good upgrade from the Vivid

Posted: Jul 29, 2011 at 14:28 Quote
I ride for marzocchi and I got an opportunity to ride there new air Roco world cup and I love it!!!! I was very skeptical to how it would preform but marzocchi just came out with the new design and asked if I'd ld like to test it out and give them feed back and I was super impressed! It's alot like a vivid air but cools a little faster and it's lighter than the vivid air. I think it's been my favorite shock I've ever ridden!

Posted: Jul 29, 2011 at 20:15 Quote
tobiebiker wrote:
I ride for marzocchi and I got an opportunity to ride there new air Roco world cup and I love it!!!! I was very skeptical to how it would preform but marzocchi just came out with the new design and asked if I'd ld like to test it out and give them feed back and I was super impressed! It's alot like a vivid air but cools a little faster and it's lighter than the vivid air. I think it's been my favorite shock I've ever ridden!
Do you know when it will be available?

Posted: Jul 29, 2011 at 20:22 Quote
naturaltalent wrote:
tobiebiker wrote:
its available nowj

Posted: Jul 29, 2011 at 20:24 Quote
tobiebiker wrote:
naturaltalent wrote:
tobiebiker wrote:
its available nowj
lol, i am going crazy then, i thought you ment a new prototype one.

Posted: Jul 29, 2011 at 20:25 Quote
naturaltalent wrote:
tobiebiker wrote:
nah haha its a sick shock youll really like it if you get it

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011916
Mobile Version of Website