Powered by Outside

Transition Sentinel

PB Forum :: Transition
Transition Sentinel
Posted: Jun 8, 2020 at 23:01 Quote
whiteranger3 wrote:
Edsev wrote:
whiteranger3 wrote:
Anyone got some time in on the v2? curious to hear thoughts, most of the reviews are from major mags/sites.

I had a full weekend on the Sentinel V2, and had some time on the V1 last year.

Hence, my impression is limited and very subjective but hoepfully my thoughts gonna help you.

I am 186 cm and had both bikes in L available.
Overall I would say that the V2 is more balanced than the V1 (uphill/downhill)

Uphill:
Was suprised that the steeper seat angle improved uphill feeling even more. I had no problem with even the steepest sections on my home trail. Only thing I would change on my bike is the saddle.

Downhill:
The feeling heading downhill improved a lot in my eyes, especially because geometry changed a bit in my favor. I have longer legs so I appreciate slighty more stack to get a more relaxed position for my back. But this might only be an issue for people having long legs like me (92 cm inseam).
Generally, you realize immediatly the slacker head angle and how it enhances your safety perception on the trail. I already appreciated this stability with the V1 but with the V2 this feeling intensified. I did not have enough time to figure out the cause for this better feeling, but personally I liked a lot that the rear has now 150mm. Despite being described in a lot of tests as speed focused (which is true for sure), I did not miss any versatility or playfulnes on the trail.

Overall I could obtain a very positive impression.
I hope this answers your question partiallyWink

Best

I’m glad you commented on the stack height, because I have long legs too so looking forward to a more neutral position. I went for the XXL because I’m 6’7 with a 37” inseam.

You seem to agree that it’s a better all arounder, which is great to hear because that’s what I’m looking for.

How is it on more mellow trails? Dull and boring, or still fun?

This size seems absolutely reasonably at your height.

I tried a Yeti SB150 for some time as well. It was remarkable how much more of a race orienteted bike feeling this was. So in case racing and speed is your only focus, this might be an option for someone searching a new bike. However, on the uphill both bike were similarly well.
The Sentinel is much more lively and responsive on no matter trail, what totally is what I was looking for. For me this meant just more fun overall on the Sentinel. I rode some flatter, mellower trails but given the responsive and playful feeling I appreciated in comprison to other bikes in this category (never tested the capra 29 however), so couldn‘t find any negative riding impression
In the end I found exactly the balanced do-it-all bike I searched with the V2.

O+
Posted: Jun 9, 2020 at 7:42 Quote
Edsev wrote:
whiteranger3 wrote:
Edsev wrote:

I had a full weekend on the Sentinel V2, and had some time on the V1 last year.

Hence, my impression is limited and very subjective but hoepfully my thoughts gonna help you.

I am 186 cm and had both bikes in L available.
Overall I would say that the V2 is more balanced than the V1 (uphill/downhill)

Uphill:
Was suprised that the steeper seat angle improved uphill feeling even more. I had no problem with even the steepest sections on my home trail. Only thing I would change on my bike is the saddle.

Downhill:
The feeling heading downhill improved a lot in my eyes, especially because geometry changed a bit in my favor. I have longer legs so I appreciate slighty more stack to get a more relaxed position for my back. But this might only be an issue for people having long legs like me (92 cm inseam).
Generally, you realize immediatly the slacker head angle and how it enhances your safety perception on the trail. I already appreciated this stability with the V1 but with the V2 this feeling intensified. I did not have enough time to figure out the cause for this better feeling, but personally I liked a lot that the rear has now 150mm. Despite being described in a lot of tests as speed focused (which is true for sure), I did not miss any versatility or playfulnes on the trail.

Overall I could obtain a very positive impression.
I hope this answers your question partiallyWink

Best

I’m glad you commented on the stack height, because I have long legs too so looking forward to a more neutral position. I went for the XXL because I’m 6’7 with a 37” inseam.

You seem to agree that it’s a better all arounder, which is great to hear because that’s what I’m looking for.

How is it on more mellow trails? Dull and boring, or still fun?

This size seems absolutely reasonably at your height.

I tried a Yeti SB150 for some time as well. It was remarkable how much more of a race orienteted bike feeling this was. So in case racing and speed is your only focus, this might be an option for someone searching a new bike. However, on the uphill both bike were similarly well.
The Sentinel is much more lively and responsive on no matter trail, what totally is what I was looking for. For me this meant just more fun overall on the Sentinel. I rode some flatter, mellower trails but given the responsive and playful feeling I appreciated in comprison to other bikes in this category (never tested the capra 29 however) I could find any negative riding impression
In the end I could find exactly the balanced do-it-all bike I searched with the V2.

Thanks for the insight! Sounds like it will be exactly what I’m looking for. Now to impatiently wait for it to ship Smile

Posted: Jun 9, 2020 at 14:08 Quote
I am as well waiting for the shipment of mine in L.
Would be happy to hear your thoughts once it arrived and if it turned out to be as expected! Smile

O+
Posted: Jun 9, 2020 at 17:55 Quote
Edsev wrote:
I am as well waiting for the shipment of mine in L.
Would be happy to hear your thoughts once it arrived and if it turned out to be as expected! Smile

Yea I’ll definitely be posting a review once I can get some time on it. It’s supposed to ship between June 12-18, so hopefully I’m able to get a couple rides on it by the end of June

O+
Posted: Jun 10, 2020 at 7:40 Quote
Hey Everyone, just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents. I have had a size large (im 5'10") sentinel V2 since the beginning of May. I'm really enjoying it. I came from a 2017 S-Works Stumpjumper 650B, and the Sentinel is better in almost every way. The transition seems more poppy, more stable at speed and more comfortable on steep trails. The stumpjuper seemed to have a bit more of a buttery smooth feeling, but the transition seems to pedal better. This is my first 29'r and so far I don't really see any downsides to the wheel size. It definitely carries speed better, rolls over janky roots better. At super low speeds the front wheel is a bit floppy, but if you are going that slow...you are doing it wrong. Sometimes I miss the suppleness of the stumpy, but the support the transition offers is the trade off. I would not hesitate to take the transition on long days and so far just about every PR I have on strava has fallen with the new bike.

O+
Posted: Jun 11, 2020 at 6:58 Quote
whiteranger3 wrote:
Anyone got some time in on the v2? curious to hear thoughts, most of the reviews are from major mags/sites.

I was lucky enough to snag one of the first batches in early May. I got the NX carbon build. I swapped out the fork for a Lyrik Ultimate and wheels for i9 Enduro S. I'm coming from an aluminum GX V1 Sentinel. I can say the new bike is noticeably better in almost every way. Climbs WAY better, probably in large part to the reduced weight going to carbon. I cleaned multiple climbs first try and every try since, that I used to be 50/50 in the past. The front wheel doesn't lift on the steep climbs as easily, probably due to the extra chainstay length. It is more lively, but still feels stable at speed. Super easy to pop and move around on the trail. One thing that doesn't feel as good is plowing straight through chunk. The back end dances around more than my V1 in this scenario. I am not running cushcore like I was on my V1, so this may have an effect. It could also be shock/spacer settings. Could also just be the lighter weight of the carbon? I am extremely curious to try a coil. It would be great to have the option to swap out for Moab trips and Deer Valley days. Not a lot of options in the 205x62.5 that fit in the frame though... This is the list I got from Transition:

Confirmed rear shocks without clearance problems…
All known inline (non reservoir) shocks
Fox DPX2
Fox Float X2
Fox DHX2
RockShox SuperDeluxe
Storia EXT
DVO Jade X
DVO Topaz T3
DVO Topaz 2
Known rear shock clearance problems with these shock models…
Marzocchi Van Rear Shock
Cane Creek DB Air or Coil
DVO Jade
PUSH 11.6 old version

Posted: Jun 11, 2020 at 8:28 Quote
Anyone know if the MRP Hazzard will fit the v2 at 205x62.5?

O+
Posted: Jun 11, 2020 at 9:50 Quote
Does anyone know of a bag that can attach to the extra mounts on the underside of the top tube? The best I can find is the Wolf Tooth Accessory Strap.

O+
Posted: Jun 12, 2020 at 10:12 Quote
Question about sizing: Seems most people who are my height (5'10'') have gone with a Large Sentinel. However, my current bike, a size Large Diamondback Release, (fits me fairly well, but if anything is slightly too big for me) has identical reach (451mm) and stem length (40mm) to the size Medium Sentinel (450mm reach and 40mm stem length).

So that makes me think a medium would fit me best. I know the sizing question has been beat to death, but am I missing something, or any reason not to go with the medium?

O+
Posted: Jun 12, 2020 at 10:20 Quote
If your comfy on that size go for it. If I may distill down the reasons for sizing up or down when you are 5 10 like I am as well.

Size up if...
You want your bike to be extra stable at speed
Your used to a longer reach bike
Your previous bike had a reach longer than the size M (easier to go up than down in reach)
Your wing span is larger than your height

Size down it...
You don't care as much about plow ability and want a playful flickable bike
Your previous bike had a reach similar to size M
Your wing span is t-Rex like

I'm sure I am missing something here. I am really happy on the size L and find it very playful and flickable but the perfect Sentiel to me would have around 465mm reach. I will probably go with a smaller stem to test this theory eventually

Posted: Jun 12, 2020 at 11:45 Quote
Ldawson11 wrote:
Question about sizing: Seems most people who are my height (5'10'') have gone with a Large Sentinel. However, my current bike, a size Large Diamondback Release, (fits me fairly well, but if anything is slightly too big for me) has identical reach (451mm) and stem length (40mm) to the size Medium Sentinel (450mm reach and 40mm stem length).

So that makes me think a medium would fit me best. I know the sizing question has been beat to death, but am I missing something, or any reason not to go with the medium?

Also think about the effective toptube length. If the sentinel has a much steeper seat tube angle then the bike may feel cramped when peddaling.

O+
Posted: Jun 12, 2020 at 13:42 Quote
I just picked up my new Cascade Components LT link for the V1 Sentinel. I'm excited to now have a more progressive suspension so that I can add a coil if I want. I am going to try to get it installed tonight. I will post pictures if I get it done.

Posted: Jun 12, 2020 at 18:41 Quote
EKrum wrote:
I'm sure I am missing something here.

Pretty good summary. Arm length is more closely tied to stem length, though, and frame reach to torso length. For example, a rider with a crazy short torso and long arms may want a modest reach with a longer stem than what's typical.

EDIT: oatkinso pointed out my reply is open to misinterpretation. My intention was to say your summary was a pretty good summary and I wanted to focus on the statement "I'm sure I am missing something here". Nothing was missed, only an adjustment is needed to account for the relationship between arm length and stem length.

O+
Posted: Jun 12, 2020 at 19:40 Quote
Ldawson11 wrote:

I feel like the effective top tube is a really important spec to look at in sizing. I went up 30mm in reach when going to a L Sentinel from a Stumpjumper, but the top tube is almost identical. The Stumpjumper felt longer when seated than the Sentinel. The longer reach makes the Sentinel more stable at speed, also feels more balanced fore and aft, but actually feels more comfortable while climbing.

O+
Posted: Jun 12, 2020 at 20:07 Quote
tmittanck wrote:
whiteranger3 wrote:

I was lucky enough to snag one of the first batches in early May. I got the NX carbon build. I swapped out the fork for a Lyrik Ultimate and wheels for i9 Enduro S. I'm coming from an aluminum GX V1 Sentinel. I can say the new bike is noticeably better in almost every way. Climbs WAY better, probably in large part to the reduced weight going to carbon. I cleaned multiple climbs first try and every try since, that I used to be 50/50 in the past. The front wheel doesn't lift on the steep climbs as easily, probably due to the extra chainstay length. It is more lively, but still feels stable at speed. Super easy to pop and move around on the trail. One thing that doesn't feel as good is plowing straight through chunk. The back end dances around more than my V1 in this scenario. I am not running cushcore like I was on my V1, so this may have an effect. It could also be shock/spacer settings. Could also just be the lighter weight of the carbon? I am extremely curious to try a coil. It would be great to have the option to swap out for Moab trips and Deer Valley days. Not a lot of options in the 205x62.5 that fit in the frame though... This is the list I got from Transition:

Confirmed rear shocks without clearance problems…
All known inline (non reservoir) shocks
Fox DPX2
Fox Float X2
Fox DHX2
RockShox SuperDeluxe
Storia EXT
DVO Jade X
DVO Topaz T3
DVO Topaz 2
Known rear shock clearance problems with these shock models…
Marzocchi Van Rear Shock
Cane Creek DB Air or Coil
DVO Jade
PUSH 11.6 old version

Great to hear! Thanks for the insight. I’m okay with a little less stability as a trade off for more playfulness. Excited to get my NX build

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012722
Mobile Version of Website