2021 patrol date???

PB Forum :: Transition
2021 patrol date???
Posted: Feb 16, 2022 at 13:35 Quote
If its any use

I've come from a Large 2019 stumpy 27.5 (not the evo) and a 22 Levo S4, still own both. Im 6ft. lanky arms and legs

Stumpy L always felt extremely cramped to me with its 455 reach, not only when seated but when riding down trails, lacked stability too, very fidgety bike even on a superdeluxe ultimate and 160mm Pike Ultimate's. I nearly went with an S4 Evo before buying the Levo

S4 Levo fits me perfectly. 477 reach. I thought for a long time about what I wanted to get after the Stumpy and the Levo was on paper just what I wanted.

So I went for a Large Patrol based on similar geo numbers. Annoyingly it feels a little smaller when seated than I expected for the 475 reach, It isn't cramped but it isn't as roomy as the Levo. Might be the seat angle?, Stood up that goes away and it fits like a glove, rides similar to the Levo really. IIt really is a superb piece of kit. Its not what I'd class as an enduro bike either (it quite simply isnt a big bike) but Im still at 160/160. Going to try 170mm 38s soon enough and no doubt get the rear to 170

Bought the Patrol as a park shitter as well, in my opinion its never going to be an enduro or downhill big bike.

I did consider a Spire but thought the wheelbase would be too long for trails I ride, ill probably buy a V10 in future for bigger park riding depending on how the patrol feels with a bit more travel.

Rides and handles almost as I expected

O+
Posted: Feb 16, 2022 at 14:53 Quote
Mike172 wrote:
If its any use

I've come from a Large 2019 stumpy 27.5 (not the evo) and a 22 Levo S4, still own both. Im 6ft. lanky arms and legs

Stumpy L always felt extremely cramped to me with its 455 reach, not only when seated but when riding down trails, lacked stability too, very fidgety bike even on a superdeluxe ultimate and 160mm Pike Ultimate's. I nearly went with an S4 Evo before buying the Levo

S4 Levo fits me perfectly. 477 reach. I thought for a long time about what I wanted to get after the Stumpy and the Levo was on paper just what I wanted.

So I went for a Large Patrol based on similar geo numbers. Annoyingly it feels a little smaller when seated than I expected for the 475 reach, It isn't cramped but it isn't as roomy as the Levo. Might be the seat angle?, Stood up that goes away and it fits like a glove, rides similar to the Levo really. IIt really is a superb piece of kit. Its not what I'd class as an enduro bike either (it quite simply isnt a big bike) but Im still at 160/160. Going to try 170mm 38s soon enough and no doubt get the rear to 170

Bought the Patrol as a park shitter as well, in my opinion its never going to be an enduro or downhill big bike.

I did consider a Spire but thought the wheelbase would be too long for trails I ride, ill probably buy a V10 in future for bigger park riding depending on how the patrol feels with a bit more travel.

I totally agree that when seated the Patrol feels a bit more cramped than expected, but when standing, it feels great. While it's not as mushy as my 2020 Gambler, I'd argue that due to it's geo, it holds its own well in rough dh tracks. It's particularly awesome at jumping and ripping the guts out of corners--for those reasons I'd opt for the size that's more appropriate to your body size. If you're looking for an all-out fall line destroyer, go with the Spire, Norco Range, or something similar.

O+
Posted: Feb 16, 2022 at 15:38 Quote
Mike172 wrote:
If its any use

Yeah I'm on the 21 Evo S3 which fits me really well for trail riding, but I could definitely ride a bigger bike. The geo for a medium patrol isn't all that much different from my S3 Evo and I'm trying to get a bike that's more purpose built for bike park so the medium geo looks good, just depends if it fits me or not. I've ridden a Large Sentinel in the past and don't have any complaints with the sizing on it and its not too far off from the Large patrol. I've parking lot tested both medium and large spires and felt like I could ride either, but haven't been able to find a patrol to try out.

O+
Posted: Feb 16, 2022 at 15:38 Quote
kingch24 wrote:
Mike172 wrote:
If its any use

Yeah I'm on the 21 Evo S3 which fits me really well for trail riding, but I could definitely ride a bigger bike. The geo for a medium patrol isn't all that much different from my S3 Evo and I'm trying to get a bike that's more purpose built for bike park so the large geo looks good, just depends if it fits me or not. I've ridden a Large Sentinel in the past and don't have any complaints with the sizing on it and its not too far off from the Large patrol. I've parking lot tested both medium and large spires and felt like I could ride either, but haven't been able to find a patrol to try out.

Posted: Feb 16, 2022 at 23:55 Quote
maybe this helps

i am 177cm tall and came of an s3 specialized enduro 2020. i went with a large bc i wanted something longer than the spesh enduro.
went from a 464 reach to a 475 reach and i really like it. and the 1268 wheelbase doesnt feel that long. in short, the bike feels stable and playful

Posted: Feb 17, 2022 at 3:54 Quote
kingch24 wrote:
I'm sure this has been discussed at length, but I'm looking for frame sizing input. I'm 5'9" (really 5'8" and 1/2) and have been riding medium sized bikes. Currently on a 21 SJ Evo S3 with 450mm reach. The patrol will be purpose built park bike and shuttle day bike. Will run a coil for sure and step up the travel to 170/170, maybe a cc link in the future. I have learned with 29ers that I prefer to size down to maintain more playfullness, but the Patrol being a mullet I wonder if sizing up to a Large would give it the stability and maintain playfulness. Anyone my size on a Large?
I am same height and coming off an S2 stumpjumper evo (465 reach) to a medium Patrol and have found the transition perfect. You can also use an offset headset to extend if you want to but I have found the 455 reach of the patrol in high to be just right.

O+
Posted: Feb 19, 2022 at 11:14 Quote
stonedbiker420 wrote:
maybe this helps

i am 177cm tall and came of an s3 specialized enduro 2020. i went with a large bc i wanted something longer than the spesh enduro.
went from a 464 reach to a 475 reach and i really like it. and the 1268 wheelbase doesnt feel that long. in short, the bike feels stable and playful

That’s good info. I’m about 175cm so I’m wondering if a Large with a 32mm stem and/or reach adjust will be the sweet spot. I want something longer as well and the medium isn’t really any longer than my Evo in the slack position. The large gives me that length but I’m hoping the 27.5 rear and shorter chainstay will keep some playfulness.

Posted: Feb 19, 2022 at 12:25 Quote
What are the frame bearings like on Transition?

Enduro should hold up well enough for a year. I noticed a tonne of grease around the bearings so I assume they are greased up nicely to offer a barrier

I'll try keep an eye on it over winter. Just noticed some gritty noises from the suspension. May strip it all down but I'm only 3 rides in with it so don't want to do that every couple of weeks

Posted: Feb 25, 2022 at 1:07 Quote
Rode the bike at 170/160 last night. Much improvement over an already incredible bike and actually it now feels like the bike I expected it to be

Ill probably get the itch to try 170mm out back at some point but it rides REALLY well at 170/160.

Does anyone get internal cable routing rattle? I can hear it banging against the frame over chunder, minor annoyance ill try shove something in the downtube.

O+
Posted: Mar 6, 2022 at 1:50 Quote
Mike172 wrote:
Rode the bike at 170/160 last night. Much improvement over an already incredible bike and actually it now feels like the bike I expected it to be

Ill probably get the itch to try 170mm out back at some point but it rides REALLY well at 170/160.

Does anyone get internal cable routing rattle? I can hear it banging against the frame over chunder, minor annoyance ill try shove something in the downtube.

Curious how the bike rides differently with 170 up front? Obviously more margin for error on big hits but with same % sag and slightly higher front end does much else change?

O+
Posted: Mar 6, 2022 at 1:52 Quote
Anyone have issues with the stock headset? I swear there's some play/knocking on mine despite it being tight. I have a threaded OneUp EDC and have checked several times, it's definitely tight, any tighter and I'll be binding the bearings. Have heard a few reports around the internet of these FSA headsets dying early, or Fox 38 bushing problems.

Posted: Mar 6, 2022 at 2:40 Quote
gramboh wrote:
Anyone have issues with the stock headset? I swear there's some play/knocking on mine despite it being tight. I have a threaded OneUp EDC and have checked several times, it's definitely tight, any tighter and I'll be binding the bearings. Have heard a few reports around the internet of these FSA headsets dying early, or Fox 38 bushing problems.
the headset has been a pain for me and I have a Zeb so fairly confident it's the FSA. I think with the 1.5 there is more room for things not seating properly with the spacer. I had to take it apart and reassemble, was able to get it where it doesn't have play but found it works lose if the stem is tightened to torque specs.

Posted: Mar 6, 2022 at 6:34 Quote
gramboh wrote:
Mike172 wrote:

Curious how the bike rides differently with 170 up front? Obviously more margin for error on big hits but with same % sag and slightly higher front end does much else change?

Just prefer the extra height. Head angle. The way the bike handles

I'll probably get called an idiot but I don't like how the 38s behave at 160mm. Not just on the Patrol

O+
Posted: Mar 6, 2022 at 8:42 Quote
spudsmtb wrote:
gramboh wrote:
the headset has been a pain for me and I have a Zeb so fairly confident it's the FSA. I think with the 1.5 there is more room for things not seating properly with the spacer. I had to take it apart and reassemble, was able to get it where it doesn't have play but found it works lose if the stem is tightened to torque specs.

I’ve also had issues with the headset and the threaded EDC. Adding spacers above the stem helped tighten the situation.

O+
Posted: Mar 6, 2022 at 20:21 Quote
Mike172 wrote:
gramboh wrote:
Mike172 wrote:

Just prefer the extra height. Head angle. The way the bike handles

I'll probably get called an idiot but I don't like how the 38s behave at 160mm. Not just on the Patrol

Fair enough, how do they 38's feel different at 160 and 170? Definitely not gonna call you an idiot, suspension is so much by feel/preference so I am always curious to hear what people like. This is the only pair of 38's I've had and have only run them at 160. I had 2019 36 Factory GRIP2 at 160mm on previous bike and am liking the extra beef on the 38's.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012600
Mobile Version of Website