Sketchy things people have done to keep riding!

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Sketchy things people have done to keep riding!
Posted: Sep 21, 2009 at 9:32 Quote
I mangled my front wheel yesterday in a little crash - the wheel was a curve. My cousin tried to straighten it out on a rock, but we couldn't make much of a difference. Since I had V-brakes, we unhooked them and used duct tape to keep them away from the wheel, and I rode out with rear brake only and a bent front wheel.

O+
Posted: Sep 21, 2009 at 15:00 Quote
anotherbikerguy wrote:
I mangled my front wheel yesterday in a little crash - the wheel was a curve. My cousin tried to straighten it out on a rock, but we couldn't make much of a difference. Since I had V-brakes, we unhooked them and used duct tape to keep them away from the wheel, and I rode out with rear brake only and a bent front wheel.

I'm sorry if I'm being a dick, but that's not sketchy, at all. There are a shit load of people ride WITHOUT brakes here, and they've probably had wobbly wheels now and then.

Here's another one I thought of: Bought a Pike used a quite a while ago and the steerer tube was wayy to long. We didn't have a saw and we wanted to go riding and we couldn't find enough headset spacers, sooo...we took an internal BB spacer thing and hammered it on there haha

Heres a pic: (That is also the 'SS Tensioner' I mentioned before, and the back wheels is missing a spoke I think)
photo

Posted: Sep 21, 2009 at 15:29 Quote
TheDanish wrote:
My rear tire had a hole on the side so the tube was popping through. I rode on it for 3 weeks with some electric tape over it until I bought a new tire. (Specialized Chunder)
next time put a playing card inside the tire where the hole is. this is the most entertsining thread on pinkbike. for me anyway

Posted: Sep 21, 2009 at 15:43 Quote
make shift front maxle axle innards for about a week.

Posted: Sep 21, 2009 at 16:24 Quote
evilrydr wrote:
anotherbikerguy wrote:

I'm sorry if I'm being a dick, but that's not sketchy, at all. There are a shit load of people ride WITHOUT brakes here, and they've probably had wobbly wheels now and then.

Here's another one I thought of: Bought a Pike used a quite a while ago and the steerer tube was wayy to long. We didn't have a saw and we wanted to go riding and we couldn't find enough headset spacers, sooo...we took an internal BB spacer thing and hammered it on there haha

Heres a pic: (That is also the 'SS Tensioner' I mentioned before, and the back wheels is missing a spoke I think)

Stop putting down people for what they post. It is kind of sketchy how is it not. Its cool to see what people have done to keep riding. And if anything yours is less sketch then his.

O+
Posted: Sep 21, 2009 at 20:23 Quote
mtbrider71 wrote:
evilrydr wrote:
anotherbikerguy wrote:

Stop putting down people for what they post. It is kind of sketchy how is it not. Its cool to see what people have done to keep riding. And if anything yours is less sketch then his.

Well it does depend what he's riding, I'll give him that. DH Trails w/ rear brake only IS sketchy but just rear brake in general is not. And I never said mine was the sketchiest thing ever but it's kinda scary riding park with 2 inches of steerer tube above the stem...

O+
Posted: Sep 21, 2009 at 20:36 Quote
evilrydr wrote:
mtbrider71 wrote:
evilrydr wrote:

Well it does depend what he's riding, I'll give him that. DH Trails w/ rear brake only IS sketchy but just rear brake in general is not. And I never said mine was the sketchiest thing ever but it's kinda scary riding park with 2 inches of steerer tube above the stem...
i rode dj's for a couple weeks with a shit load of steertube not that sketchy

Posted: Sep 21, 2009 at 21:06 Quote
Anyway guys lets stop bashing eachother and just respect the sketch.

Posted: Sep 21, 2009 at 21:33 Quote
mtbrider71 wrote:
Anyway guys lets stop bashing eachother and just respect the sketch.
Well said.

O+
Posted: Sep 21, 2009 at 21:57 Quote
broke wrist racing
when i went to have my cast put on i took one of the grips off my bike an brought it with me.
Molded the hand/palm area of cast to grip. kept riding for the next 6 weeks Smile

.....arthritis is for communist's and pussys! Big Grin

Posted: Sep 21, 2009 at 21:59 Quote
g-off7 wrote:
broke wrist racing
when i went to have my cast put on i took one of the grips off my bike an brought it with me.
Molded the hand/palm area of cast to grip. kept riding for the next 6 weeks Smile

Brilliant!

Posted: Sep 22, 2009 at 8:41 Quote
hoboslicer wrote:
nosirrom wrote:
freerider4ever20015 wrote:

no it wasnt useless,it worked for the whole day and the chain only came off once on the cwmcarn dh trails

It came off, that means it didn't work.
yeah f*ck you ninja it did work(the only reason why the chain came off is because there was no bottom roller and it came off there)and the cable ties didnt even show signs of wear.

WOOOO, I'm not the one who said it didn't work, all I said was that i was confused. Besides, a chain guide and bash guard are two totally different things.

Posted: Sep 23, 2009 at 16:56 Quote
i had a sh*t hole old 26 inch mountain bike that i used to jump for fun but i destroyed the front wheel so we put a 16inch front wheel on it and rode it like that, the bb was about an inch from the ground and you had to get someone to push you to the jumps. We ended up destroying the bike so badly that it had no grips or brakes and the way to change the gears was by pulling the cable on the top tube and holding it in the right place

Posted: Sep 23, 2009 at 17:45 Quote
tylerdonovan wrote:
i had a sh*t hole old 26 inch mountain bike that i used to jump for fun but i destroyed the front wheel so we put a 16inch front wheel on it and rode it like that, the bb was about an inch from the ground and you had to get someone to push you to the jumps. We ended up destroying the bike so badly that it had no grips or brakes and the way to change the gears was by pulling the cable on the top tube and holding it in the right place

16!!! Eek

Posted: Sep 25, 2009 at 22:49 Quote
Well I did nothing to fix my problem cause I couldn't. On my BMX my right crank snapped off so I just pumped my bike with 1 crank all the way home.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012820
Mobile Version of Website