PB Forum :: Downhill
Specialized Status
O+
Posted: May 23, 2015 at 16:44 Quote
moniex wrote:
SintraFreeride wrote:
moniex wrote:
Great thanks.

Just took delivery of my new-to-me status frame in small. Bearings seem sweet, shock fitted turns out to be a fox dhx 5.0 in a 8.5 x 2.5 size.

Any good?

Thought I need a 8.75 x 2.75?

Happy to change shocks, still looking at the monarch plus rc3 high volume m/m tune (air shock will save me fiddling about with springs), which is a 222 x 66.

Also found a dhx 5.0 for sale in a 222 x 70 used, but I'll need to get a suitable spring.

I weight about 59kg (without kit!), so not sure what would suit.

Any advise?

Simone

The normal size is 8.75x2.75. Remove the spring from the fox dhx 5.0 in a 8.5 x 2.5 s and check that the seat stay brace does NOT hit the frame at full compression. If it doesn't (which I doubt) then you can stick with it as it will only change the geometry of the bike slightly making the headangle slacker and the bb lower (not a bad thing in my book). As for spring rate get yourself a 350lb or 400lb with a 375lb being ideal (if you manage to fine one).

Thanks for that, will give that a go (if I can get the spring undone, seems a bit tight). Also found a cheap VAN RC new in the right size (just over £100), any good compared to the dhx? I prefer to just ride and not fiddle too much.

Simone

If the DHX fits (doesn't hit the frame) stick with it. It is a better shock than the VanRC.

Posted: May 24, 2015 at 12:04 Quote
SintraFreeride wrote:
moniex wrote:
SintraFreeride wrote:

The normal size is 8.75x2.75. Remove the spring from the fox dhx 5.0 in a 8.5 x 2.5 s and check that the seat stay brace does NOT hit the frame at full compression. If it doesn't (which I doubt) then you can stick with it as it will only change the geometry of the bike slightly making the headangle slacker and the bb lower (not a bad thing in my book). As for spring rate get yourself a 350lb or 400lb with a 375lb being ideal (if you manage to fine one).

Thanks for that, will give that a go (if I can get the spring undone, seems a bit tight). Also found a cheap VAN RC new in the right size (just over £100), any good compared to the dhx? I prefer to just ride and not fiddle too much.

Simone

If the DHX fits (doesn't hit the frame) stick with it. It is a better shock than the VanRC.

I use DHX 5.0 with 400lbs spring, its a bit soft for my 74kgs, but I'm still in my winter-form, so now more cardio and less junkfood, target is 67-68kgs. Smile Anyway, DHX 5.0 is not a "modern" shock, but it does the job very well. I'd go for it, if its in good condition. Simple shock, easy to setup, easy to maintain, a non-racer downhiller doesn't really need better imo.

Posted: May 25, 2015 at 22:03 Quote
Just finished rebuilding this one. Pretty dialed at 36 lbs and 15 oz

photo

Posted: May 26, 2015 at 12:21 Quote
Does flipping the shock make it plusher.

Posted: Jun 1, 2015 at 9:00 Quote
Hi all,

Does the marzocchi WC air in 222x70 fit the status frame? Thought I heard something about the schrader valve getting in the way of the link? My frame is a small.

Also, anyone got any shocks for sale in 222x70 size?

Cheers

Simone

Posted: Jun 1, 2015 at 9:05 Quote
I have a ccdb air for sell

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1774316/

photo

Posted: Jun 6, 2015 at 4:35 Quote
Has anyone heard or seen anything about the 2016 Status?

The current bike is on it's 4th season so it would be totally reasonable to expect an update. Maybe 650b wheels, 12x150 rear end, updated geometry.

Anyone know if something like this might be happening or will it just be new paint?

Posted: Jun 6, 2015 at 5:08 Quote
mmckechnie wrote:

The current bike is on it's 4th season so it would be totally reasonable to expect an update. Maybe 650b wheels, 12x150 rear end, updated geometry.

Anyone know if something like this might be happening or will it just be new paint?

Leave it at 26." But it would be nice to see an update to 12x150 or at least 12x142, something a bit more common. And at least give us a bash guard.
But remember, if they update it to much it may compete with the demo. cant have that now can we.

Posted: Jun 6, 2015 at 5:59 Quote
ProChargedZ28 wrote:
mmckechnie wrote:

Leave it at 26." But it would be nice to see an update to 12x150 or at least 12x142, something a bit more common. And at least give us a bash guard.
But remember, if they update it to much it may compete with the demo. cant have that now can we.

definitely leave it at 26, but the updated rear end would be really nice, like the average dh size at 12x150

O+
Posted: Jun 6, 2015 at 6:35 Quote
ctmtb98 wrote:
ProChargedZ28 wrote:
mmckechnie wrote:

definitely leave it at 26, but the updated rear end would be really nice, like the average dh size at 12x150

I'd like more tire clearance on the seat stays so you can fit a 2.5 without rubbing and a 12x135 or 12x142 rear axle. 150mm rear qxles are too wide in my opinion, they increase the chance of a rock hitting your dérailleur.

O+
Posted: Jun 6, 2015 at 13:02 Quote
I think Specialized will probably keep the status' current 26" wheels, because it creates a clear distinction between the status and the demo in Specialized's lineup.

Posted: Jun 6, 2015 at 13:04 Quote
The-dirt-farmer wrote:
I think Specialized will probably keep the status' current 26" wheels, because it creates a clear distinction between the status and the demo in Specialized's lineup.

true, anyone hear any rumors?

Posted: Jun 6, 2015 at 17:33 Quote
The-dirt-farmer wrote:

True. Sort of like how Trek has their Session available in 26" for park riding and 650b for DH/race. Could be a similar approach with Specialized. Status for bike parks, Demo for racing and more natural DH terrain.

Posted: Jun 6, 2015 at 17:57 Quote
Hey, quick question, I'm lookin at a 2012 status and I'm wondering, are the red stripes on the frame painted, or decals under clear coat? Or is it possible to pull them off of the bike? Thank you

O+
Posted: Jun 7, 2015 at 1:56 Quote
mmckechnie wrote:
The-dirt-farmer wrote:

True. Sort of like how Trek has their Session available in 26" for park riding and 650b for DH/race. Could be a similar approach with Specialized. Status for bike parks, Demo for racing and more natural DH terrain.

Well then please explain the new 650b Enduro with a 180mm boxxer? Where does that sit in the Demo to Status scale?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 2.059640
Mobile Version of Website