Posted: Jun 29, 2023 at 9:27 Quote
Hub colour is rad. Paint or anodized?

That dent looks nasty!

O+
Posted: Jun 29, 2023 at 11:46 Quote
yetiboyjay wrote:

That dent looks nasty!

fancy wheels definitely add to the bike. I have higher engagement hubs than stock and its definitely better on the climbs. I also tried the bike with narrower than stock rims and CK hubs and the bike felt way faster on the ups..

Posted: Jun 29, 2023 at 17:29 Quote
jesse-effing-edwards wrote:
yetiboyjay wrote:

That dent looks nasty!

fancy wheels definitely add to the bike. I have higher engagement hubs than stock and its definitely better on the climbs. I also tried the bike with narrower than stock rims and CK hubs and the bike felt way faster on the ups..

They're powder coated. Onyx hubs engagement is super nice, instant and soft. Major reason I got them was for the soft engagement. I feel a bit more of the chain growth when bouncing around in the parking lot but at least when it happens its consistent and soft.

And yeah that dent Frown

O+
Posted: Jun 29, 2023 at 17:46 Quote
Dent adds character.

Posted: Jul 8, 2023 at 14:14 Quote
Just got a Ripmo AF deore. Switched the Z1 coil fork out for a Rockshox Lyrik Select straight away, and up sized the rotors to magura 203mm. I had high expectations for this bike from everything I had read online and seen via YouTube............After riding it I was was blown away. This bike makes you want to go hard. Push the limits and try to bring out it's potential. Very happy with my purchase. Only mod I see doing in the future is maybe a faster rolling rear tire like a Maxxis Ardent. This bike is a screaming deal for 2600$, and pictures don't do it justice.

O+
Posted: Jul 9, 2023 at 12:50 Quote
faster rolling tires make a huge difference. Starts to climb a lot more like a trail bike. That said, I now use DD tires as I just don't have patience for flats, but faster rolling Dissector feels pretty good.

Posted: Jul 13, 2023 at 10:37 Quote
I’ve enjoyed my ripmo for the last 3 years. Lyrik, cascade, push 11-6, and onyx rear. Absolutely overbiked but enjoy it.

I have my buddy looking into getting one, now. So, what’s the latest thoughts on the z1 coil fork? Rear shock?
We’re on Colorado front range, if it helps understand our terrain.
Thanks
-rb

Posted: Jul 13, 2023 at 11:00 Quote
reginald68 wrote:
I’ve enjoyed my ripmo for the last 3 years. Lyrik, cascade, push 11-6, and onyx rear. Absolutely overbiked but enjoy it.

I have my buddy looking into getting one, now. So, what’s the latest thoughts on the z1 coil fork? Rear shock?
We’re on Colorado front range, if it helps understand our terrain.
Thanks
-rb

Rode my ripmo on the front range today. It's the bike I recommend to everyone from novice to expert. Definitely the best all-rounder I've owned

O+
Posted: Jul 13, 2023 at 12:39 Quote
Z1 coil fork is plush and feels great.
Downside is that it’s a heavy chunker of a fork.

Bomber air shock on the rear is quite good. Rides like a Fox Float X IMO.

O+
Posted: Jul 13, 2023 at 12:40 Quote
This is a solid 4th season for me on the Ripmo AF, but I'm saying goodbye in August, and switching to a Capra mullet. Deals are super good right now, and with my mostly Winch-and-Plummet riding here in Sea-to-Sky coastal BC, something squishier and smashier should treat me well. It's been a good ride with the trusty RAF.

Posted: Jul 13, 2023 at 12:59 Quote
mammal wrote:
This is a solid 4th season for me on the Ripmo AF, but I'm saying goodbye in August, and switching to a Capra mullet. Deals are super good right now, and with my mostly Winch-and-Plummet riding here in Sea-to-Sky coastal BC, something squishier and smashier should treat me well. It's been a good ride with the trusty RAF.

What kind of service have you done in four years? That’s a lot of hard riding!

O+
Posted: Jul 13, 2023 at 13:56 Quote
For most of my riding the RIPMO has been rad AF. I ride it in the park (now with a 38 170mm and heavier coil) for the summers on blues and blacks I have a blast on it, although sometimes wonder if it's rated for that kinda stuff, haha. Even on easier trails I have tonnes of fun. I would bet temped to put my lighter wheels/tires on it as that made it come alive on the climbs, but as I have another shorter travel bike I keep it more beastly. I too think of moving on to something a bit bigger as it does spend a lot of time in the park, but if I did so it would just be for novelty's sake, not really necessity. The 38 on the front definitely helps.

Hard to think anyone but an XC rider or gnarly steep tech smasher wouldn't enjoy this bike. It's a jack of all trades, master of fun.

O+
Posted: Jul 13, 2023 at 14:53 Quote
Circe wrote:
What kind of service have you done in four years? That’s a lot of hard riding!

- Routine clevis bushing clean/re-grease (every couple months), other bushing pivots twice per season.
- Link bearings never replaced, because I spent half the time on the stock link and the other half on the Cascade Link.
- DVO Fork and Shock rebuilds at home, once per season. Fork lowers twice per year.
- Freehub clean/lube a couple times
- Replaced DUB BB after the 3rd season
- New chain every year
- New cables whenever needed
- Obv. lots of tire replacements

Came as the NX build with Diamond/Topaz and KS dropper. Ended up with Onyx (170) and Jade (longer-travel mode), Saint Brakes, One-Up 210 dropper, and Shimano shifter/derailleur to complement the rest of the NX stuff that just lasts and lasts (although switched to 11spd XT/Deore stuff just this season).

O+
Posted: Jul 13, 2023 at 14:58 Quote
jesse-effing-edwards wrote:
For most of my riding the RIPMO has been rad AF. I ride it in the park (now with a 38 170mm and heavier coil) for the summers on blues and blacks I have a blast on it, although sometimes wonder if it's rated for that kinda stuff, haha. Even on easier trails I have tonnes of fun. I would bet temped to put my lighter wheels/tires on it as that made it come alive on the climbs, but as I have another shorter travel bike I keep it more beastly. I too think of moving on to something a bit bigger as it does spend a lot of time in the park, but if I did so it would just be for novelty's sake, not really necessity. The 38 on the front definitely helps.

Hard to think anyone but an XC rider or gnarly steep tech smasher wouldn't enjoy this bike. It's a jack of all trades, master of fun.

Even in long-shock mode with the 170 Onyx, it still leaves something to be desired when things get steep and rowdy. I don't ride it in the bike park (DH bike for park and true DH bike trails), but we've got tonnes of rowdy stuff in our regular terrain. I wouldn't say the RAF gets overwhelmed, but there are improvements to be gained in the steep and rough. Part of that is amount of rear travel, but it's also due to the fairly linear leverage curve of the RAF and slight lack of frame stiffness. I'm definitely willing to sacrifice some pedaling performance for gains in those departments.

I ended up getting the XL Capra MX, which gives me a bit more reach over the Large RAF, slightly longer stays, and a chance to try out the mullet.

Posted: Jul 14, 2023 at 3:35 Quote
I'm into my 4th summer on my RAF. Its been very good allraounder and excellent for service longevity. Started life as NX, Diamond, but replaced most components straight away. Diamond was upgraded to Onyx last Oct so very keen to trying this in the Alps in a couple of months time. I've added Cascade link and got custom tune on the JadeX to increase the comp damping. Feels very good now and rarely bottoms out. The bearings in the Cascade link arent great. I've just changed the upper bearings for 2nd time (2years), although they did still have a little life in them. I also use Mobil marine grease in them to preserve. The lower bearings are still good though. Bushings fine. With only 2 sets of bearings to change, its the easiest FS I have owned to do this on. GXP BB replaced a few times. Chains+cables changed yearly.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011716
Mobile Version of Website