Powered by Outside

Spindrift 2021

PB Forum :: Propain Bikes
Spindrift 2021
Posted: Aug 26, 2021 at 5:54 Quote
Sweet06 wrote:
Enduro75 wrote:
Hi, I am currently looking for a new "enduro bike" and the spindrift interest me. What i like the most (and what i try to do the most) is DH with a lift access and enduro (whitout). I especially like very steep and technical tracks. But i would like to race enduro with it. what do you think about that? (maybe it does climb well enough?)

I also sometimes do trail/single track riding and i usually go to the bike park with my bike, which is about an hour of road.
Is the spindrift at least ok for that?

In short, i'm looking for a bike that can do what i described for the next season and that would be fun to ride at whistler the season after that.

So what do you think? is the spindrift a good choice for me?

For the moment my other choices are bikes like the yt capra or the devinci spartan....

Thanks! Smile

The Spindrift is the bike you need Smile

I used it as an enduro bike for 3 months with around 35km and 1000 / 1200 D+ and no issue with that versus my old enduro (commencal meta 27.5 2019). But I build it for enduro purpose 180/180 around 15kg with pedal and air shocks.

thanks good to know!

interesting that you compare the spindrift to the meta because my friend got one. In your opinion which one is better for downhill/ climbing and which one would you use for enduro racing? Is the spindrift better in every aspect?

Posted: Aug 26, 2021 at 7:17 Quote
Enduro75 wrote:
Sweet06 wrote:
Enduro75 wrote:
Hi, I am currently looking for a new "enduro bike" and the spindrift interest me. What i like the most (and what i try to do the most) is DH with a lift access and enduro (whitout). I especially like very steep and technical tracks. But i would like to race enduro with it. what do you think about that? (maybe it does climb well enough?)

I also sometimes do trail/single track riding and i usually go to the bike park with my bike, which is about an hour of road.

In short, i'm looking for a bike that can do what i described for the next season and that would be fun to ride at whistler the season after that.

For the moment my other choices are bikes like the yt capra or the devinci spartan....

Thanks! Smile

I used it as an enduro bike for 3 months with around 35km and 1000 / 1200 D+ and no issue with that versus my old enduro (commencal meta 27.5 2019). But I build it for enduro purpose 180/180 around 15kg with pedal and air shocks.

thanks good to know!

interesting that you compare the spindrift to the meta because my friend got one. In your opinion which one is better for downhill/ climbing and which one would you use for enduro racing? Is the spindrift better in every aspect?

You can check my opinion few page back but in summary:
- The spindrift is lighter than my Commencal
- The climbing position is better and easier on steep climb thanks to the 29inches wheel and long chain stay, I was impressed how well the bike react on climb and on sprint, it dont pump at all and that very appreciable
- Really good at downhill thanks to big wheel and long bike but not the smoothest bike I think
- For jump, and big berm on bike park it is a pure machine !!!

I love this bike and I would recommend it for one bike to do it all (I have to pair of tire and shock to have a enduro or DH bike)

Posted: Aug 28, 2021 at 7:39 Quote
Enduro75 wrote:
Sweet06 wrote:
Enduro75 wrote:

Thanks! Smile

thanks good to know!

ok thanks again. i want one now Big Grin

Posted: Aug 29, 2021 at 13:02 Quote
I have my spindrift now, allu, mullet, M size.
Basic specs: coil, mt5 with 200 rotors, gx, Zeb R.
No weird noises, very silent att all.
I taked out the 350lb coil and put 650 lb since I weight 100kg.
feels very good, coil it is very very sensitive, zeb it is perfect, i just have my first ride today, a lot of rocks and very steep trails with some small jumps, and feels like every is more easy and pleasent so I did more and better, I can lay to side the bike more and it corner very good, I gain a lot of confort and confidence.
also it climb great, great seat position and no pedal bob att all if you dont sprint.
more than happy, great bike, let me have more ride on it and will tell you more.

Posted: Sep 5, 2021 at 2:45 Quote
Just about to push the button on an XL 29er AL spindrift.
How is the rear disc clearance on the AL version, any watch out’s on the bike i should maybe bring up with propain.
Will use it for uplift days, all mountain ( hopefully the mega) enduro and some local mellow trails.
Currently on a remedy 8 so looking forward to a bit of a bigger bike. Hopefully get it before the summer as well .
See lots of happy reviews of them.
B

Posted: Sep 6, 2021 at 5:02 Quote
Bmg1 wrote:
How is the rear disc clearance on the AL version, any watch out’s on the bike i should maybe bring up with propain.
Will use it for uplift days, all mountain ( hopefully the mega) enduro and some local mellow trails.
Currently on a remedy 8 so looking forward to a bit of a bigger bike. Hopefully get it before the summer as well .
B

I've the AL 29er in Large with Magura MT7's - no issue with rear disc clearance. For uplift + all mountain it's a really nice bike - for local mellow trails it's a lot of bike to pedal and turn, but it works.

Posted: Sep 6, 2021 at 5:07 Quote
for the ones with the standard "propain" hubs:

I noticed a bit of rear wheel play, after checking the pivots took out the rear wheel. On one side there's a threaded nut which was quite loose.
After tightening it with a socket the wheel seemed to spin less freely. Loosened it up a bit: play has gone and wheel seems to spin fine.

Is this the purpose of the threaded nut? (just like on a crankset)
Is there some kind of sweet spot you have to aim for?

Thx!

Posted: Sep 6, 2021 at 5:56 Quote
KoenR wrote:
for the ones with the standard "propain" hubs:

I noticed a bit of rear wheel play, after checking the pivots took out the rear wheel. On one side there's a threaded nut which was quite loose.
After tightening it with a socket the wheel seemed to spin less freely. Loosened it up a bit: play has gone and wheel seems to spin fine.

Is this the purpose of the threaded nut? (just like on a crankset)
Is there some kind of sweet spot you have to aim for?

Thx!
Here some background info and rebuild info on the propain hubs: https://www.mtb-news.de/forum/t/propain-naben.884795/page-2

Posted: Sep 6, 2021 at 13:09 Quote
KoenR wrote:
Bmg1 wrote:
B

I've the AL 29er in Large with Magura MT7's - no issue with rear disc clearance. For uplift + all mountain it's a really nice bike - for local mellow trails it's a lot of bike to pedal and turn, but it works.

Thanks

Posted: Sep 7, 2021 at 11:22 Quote
Air or coil , what would you recommemd. Just choosing my bits before i order .
Also im 6ft 3 , test rode a large trek slash and felt i could go a tad longer in reach and wheelbase . So going xl spindrift i think. Want something as stable as possible for big long mountain descents

Posted: Sep 7, 2021 at 15:25 Quote
Bmg1 wrote:
Also im 6ft 3 , test rode a large trek slash and felt i could go a tad longer in reach and wheelbase . So going xl spindrift i think. Want something as stable as possible for big long mountain descents

Coil all day..

Posted: Sep 7, 2021 at 21:59 Quote
So I did an unboxing video of my propain spindrift with some friends:

https://youtu.be/e1Pr996Yl8g

I hope you enjoy spanish unboxing.

XD

Posted: Sep 7, 2021 at 23:11 Quote
Dini2k wrote:
Bmg1 wrote:

Coil all day..

agree, very impressed with the coil (fox on mine)

Posted: Sep 10, 2021 at 0:01 Quote
Hi guys, French rider speaking here, so sorry for the English!
I'm about to order my new bike, but I don't know which one to choose between the TYEE CF or the SPINDRIFT CF, both 29" bikes with fox factory suspensions (36/38 for the fork and X2 for the shock), GX drivetrain, magura MT7 brakes and Newmen SL A30 rims

I'm coming from a giant reign 2 from 2015 so either bike's going to make a huge step up for me

I'm riding mostly enduro trail, some bike parks once in a while, but I need to climb to go on my favourite enduro spot or handcrafted downhill trail (no shuttle, about 45min of climbing), that's the tricky part!

I've heard that the spindrift and the tyee are both fantastic climbers thanks to the PRO10 linkage, but the spindrift is a little bit heavier, around 500 grams more for the same size and with an equal configuration

In both cases, the bike will be set with "enduros" components

What do you guys can advise me about the choice I have? Do some of you have compare both bike, or SD with an other bike, and can tell me about which one to choose?

I'm 178cm with 86cm inseam length so I think i'll go for the L size no matter the bike i'll choose
I'm more into the spindrift, first of all because of the cracks problems happening with tyee frames and the cable routing problems also on the tyee, also i'm pretty heavy (85kg without gear and i ride pretty aggressivly) and from what i've read on the internet, the fox 38 should be stiffer for me (maybe that's better?)
The handcrafted downhill trail i ride have a lot of jump, drop and a lot of rocks and roots all around the trail, wich bike will suit better this type of trail and what i do with my bike?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the big post

Posted: Sep 10, 2021 at 0:29 Quote
Get the sd, full fat

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011399
Mobile Version of Website