Powered by Outside

Post Your Road Bikes (Read 1st post for guide)

PB Forum :: Road Cycling and Touring
Post Your Road Bikes (Read 1st post for guide)
Posted: Oct 13, 2023 at 0:21 Quote
You'll get used to it. The further south you go in Italy, the more challenging traffic becomes.

I've done several gran fondos in Rome, the main thing to watch out for are the cobbles and overall road condition. Due to the high amount of traffic and the temperature, the cobbles basically get a polished surface.

Gran fondos in Italy in general have a fast start so you'll be cornering at about 45 / 50km p/h on those slippery cobbles before you leave the city and hit the hills.

These shots are from 2014 mind you, sock game was different back then haha.

photo

photo

Posted: Oct 13, 2023 at 0:25 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:

I've heard Italian drivers can be a bit wild? Any good stories?

Well, roads are rather narrow in some places and speeding is part of the culture. The most controversial one I've encountered so far is getting pushed off the road by a car with a bike rack full of road bikes on the roof.

You'd assume they'd know better right?

Overall, you need to be careful but still assertive. Own your place on the road otherwise they'll overtake you first chance they have and you're the one at risk.

As per usual, phones are a major reason for accidents here too.

Posted: Oct 16, 2023 at 6:50 Quote
Just tested my camera mount on my short ride if anyone is bored.

I'm cruising, and was just testing the clip on the brake cable.

Temporary for now, until I have the money to buy a GoPro, and also ride longer rides.

Views: 53    Faves: 0    Comments: 13

Posted: Oct 16, 2023 at 7:37 Quote
I've had Go Pro's and DJI's action cameras in the past and never really ended up using them as I initially intended.

Despite going downhill with 85km p/h the action camera always makes it look slow due to the wide angle FOV.

I wouldn't bother if I were you.

Sample video here, if it works:

https://vimeo.com/manage/videos/726697127

Posted: Oct 16, 2023 at 7:38 Quote
memento-mori wrote:
I've had Go Pro's and DJI's action cameras in the past and never really ended up using them as I initially intended.

Despite going downhill with 85km p/h the action camera always makes it look slow due to the wide angle FOV.

Ok, I wasn't aware of that.

That's shitty, and I'd have assumed they would catch the speed etc. I just wanted to record some of my rides, but I won't waste the money if it's pointless.

The camera I'm using is one I bought from eBay a year ago or so. Just a cheap one.

Posted: Oct 16, 2023 at 7:41 Quote
It does depend a lot on how you mount it. The lower you get to the ground, the higher the speed appears to be.

In the video above the camera was mounted underneath my Garmin using a Go Pro mount type connection. It was roughly 10cm above my front tire so quite low.

Posted: Oct 16, 2023 at 7:47 Quote
mace-the-amazing wrote:
memento-mori wrote:

Ok, I wasn't aware of that.

That's shitty, and I'd have assumed they would catch the speed etc. I just wanted to record some of my rides, but I won't waste the money if it's pointless.

The camera I'm using is one I bought from eBay a year ago or so. Just a cheap one.

GoPro works okay. Newer (Hero 7 and up) have decent image stabilization. If you mount the camera higher (such as on your helmet) it will look slower than if you mount it lower. GoPro with a chest mount it looks pretty decent, but getting the angle set properly is a bit of a trick. The chest mount will give good impression of speed and also see the handlebars in the shot so it's a fairly immersive POV experience.
GoPro (and any action camera) always makes things look less steep, less rocky, less gnarly and less impressive. The only time it shines is when approaching a cliff edge or something exceptionally narrow. Cruising, high speed down a steep, winding road or trail looks tame and is overall not as satisfying (to me) as one would hope..

Posted: Oct 16, 2023 at 7:54 Quote
Thanks for the info, both of you.

Mori, that's crazy speeds. I don't get anywhere near those speeds on my rides. Probably 40mph max on descents.

And I'm in no rush for a GoPro. Will probably get one next year, just before spring. Gotta use my money for other things for now.

I just tested the camera clip-on mount, and to see how it would record my short ride.

O+
Posted: Oct 16, 2023 at 8:39 Quote
the gopro effect is always depressing haha. The more you use one you do start to learn when it works and when it doesnt. When you first get one and start using it be prepared to be a little dissapointed to start though.

I picked up an oval chainring and swapped to a 10-44 rear cassette.

Bigger cassette and new oval chainring

Posted: Oct 16, 2023 at 9:08 Quote
memento-mori wrote:

Sample video here, if it works:

https://vimeo.com/manage/videos/726697127

I second every part of this... identical experiences myself.

Posted: Oct 17, 2023 at 20:29 Quote
Stills can be fun on a GoPro. This was shot in the early morning, so the slow shutter speed helped to add a sense of movement to the image.

photo

Posted: Oct 18, 2023 at 0:16 Quote
Yeah that’s a nice snap but not worth spending several hundreds for imo.

Posted: Oct 18, 2023 at 7:03 Quote
If you want the pictures, it’s worth it! lol

That was shot on my old GoPro 3, which can be found for really cheap on the used market. Any knockoff would probably work fine as well, you just have to understand the limitations of the camera and get creative.

Posted: Oct 18, 2023 at 7:50 Quote
singlespeedtoday wrote:

That was shot on my old GoPro 3, which can be found for really cheap on the used market. Any knockoff would probably work fine as well, you just have to understand the limitations of the camera and get creative.

That is a nice snapshot.

A cheap GoPro can also help to serve as evidence in the event of an accident.

Posted: Oct 18, 2023 at 9:49 Quote
BenLow2019 wrote:
singlespeedtoday wrote:

That is a nice snapshot.

A cheap GoPro can also help to serve as evidence in the event of an accident.
This is the reason I run the Cycliq cameras on my road bike... I realized pretty much immediately after buying a GoPro that my riding isn't nearly exciting enough for anyone else to want to watch it and I'd rather just go ride than watch it myself so, pretty pointless. I can stop and take pictures of anything that really catches my attention so, just no need for me. But after dealing with all the attorney bullshit after getting hit having a 'dashcam' recording is priceless.

All that said... while it's not been used for the originally intended purpose of recording rides, if you're just generally outdoorsy, GoPro's are totally worth owning. While it's only seen a handful of bike rides, I've taken it kayaking a ton of times, took it fishing in Alaska, taken it out hunting and shooting, strapped it to my dog once and let him go wild diving through the bushes, loaned it to a buddy who went skydiving... it's been useful for sure.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012053
Mobile Version of Website