What annoys you when you're out building?

PB Forum :: Trail Building
What annoys you when you're out building?
Posted: Jul 1, 2021 at 7:50 Quote
photo

LMAO Bentonville has started to pave a ton of trails. I blame IMBA. this "trail" is +/- 20ft wide prepped and ready for concrete. Kills me lolol

Posted: Jul 1, 2021 at 8:36 Quote
ibishreddin wrote:
photo

LMAO Bentonville has started to pave a ton of trails. I blame IMBA. this "trail" is +/- 20ft wide prepped and ready for concrete. Kills me lolol

Thats pretty bad. Paved trails are worse for the tires and can be quit sketchy. Plus it takes away the "mountain bike trail" factor.

Posted: Jul 2, 2021 at 4:00 Quote
well thats pure bullshit. i know wear and tear takes maintenance and that can be anyoing but concrete aint the solution and if it is that section of trail is poorly designed.

Posted: Dec 22, 2021 at 9:03 Quote
When you are very obviously working, have dismount signs up, yet riders still rip through your unfinished berm littered with tools and a dangerous root.

Posted: Dec 23, 2021 at 2:43 Quote
Luneec wrote:
well thats pure bullshit. i know wear and tear takes maintenance and that can be anyoing but concrete aint the solution and if it is that section of trail is poorly designed.
The old school BMX trails boys would mix the odd bag of quickcrete into a barrow when shaping a lip, to keep it rock hard. But actually paving trails is too far. Have a look at BPW and Dyfi, you can create long lasting year round trails by hardpacking shiggles/little rocks

Posted: Dec 23, 2021 at 9:34 Quote
hgardner wrote:
Luneec wrote:
The old school BMX trails boys would mix the odd bag of quickcrete into a barrow when shaping a lip, to keep it rock hard. But actually paving trails is too far. Have a look at BPW and Dyfi, you can create long lasting year round trails by hardpacking shiggles/little rocks

Actually a good idea as an alternative to rock plate lips also seen in northwest arkansas.

Posted: Jan 7, 2022 at 10:17 Quote
When bears shit all over the trails. Like six giant piles of shit. Does a bear shit in the woods? No, it shits right in the middle of my freshly groomed trail.

Posted: Jan 10, 2022 at 8:39 Quote
So there I was …I thought I was alone, resurrecting a trail that hasn’t been used in years. Overgrown with blowdown trees along the route.
I set my bike and backpack further up the trail (30M+) and began my 4th day of cleanup. Moved a few rocks, cut a blowdown and pulled some thorny weeds when eventually I reached my bike. Time for a drink and snack break…so I thought.
Further up the trail I noticed a glove, then a jacket. I reached down to grab my pac…it was gone. Wait, someone took my stuff and dropped their jacket and glove. I ran up the trail. It was my jacket and glove, and a few other things spread up the abandoned trail. What is going on here? Then it dawned on me. A bear.
He had taken my pack sack while I wasn’t looking. My bike tools were gone, my food was gone, and my iPhone was gone. After a few minutes of frantically searching a small area I realize I needed help. I jumped on my bike and headed back out.
I met two mtb’ers at the exit of this hidden trail and explained what had just happened. I asked them to keep an eye out for my stuff and a bear. Then he appeared …at the exit …probably 400+lbs and didn’t care about us at all. He kept walking to another trail. Since I don’t speak Bear I couldn’t ask where my stuff was. I wanted my iPhone, packsac, tools and stuff back.
Anyways, with the help of “Find my Phone “ and a ping from my son-in-laws phone, we located my iPhone about 30m off the trail through some thick brush. Found my bike tools first, then my iPhone, then a sock, then some energy bar wrappers and finally my pac. My packsac was destroyed and had bear saliva inside and out.
I never leave my phone in my pack anymore. I’ve also had a number of run-ins, before and after this event, with this bruin. He’s the father of a number of cubs each year and this mountain seems to be his territory. My latest encounter with him was a staring contest, on a trail, which I lost. He’s a nice Bear …I hope.

Posted: Jan 10, 2022 at 23:00 Quote
Scary shit dude!

Posted: Jan 11, 2022 at 7:45 Quote
Winnie just wants to help dig!

Posted: Jan 14, 2022 at 8:51 Quote
ibishreddin wrote:
Winnie just wants to help dig!
He’d be a good digger …but all those energy bars he could eat. Wow .

Posted: Jan 17, 2022 at 2:11 Quote
When there's an iceberg rock....it looks small above the surface but goes about 3 foot under ground

Posted: Jan 20, 2022 at 8:57 Quote
Really blows my story about crashing into a badger out the water lol

I suppose the odd bear is worth it for the terrain you guys get over the pond, but I'm glad we don't have them here, I would have needed my brown pants

Stihldog wrote:
So there I was …I thought I was alone, resurrecting a trail that hasn’t been used in years. Overgrown with blowdown trees along the route.
I set my bike and backpack further up the trail (30M+) and began my 4th day of cleanup. Moved a few rocks, cut a blowdown and pulled some thorny weeds when eventually I reached my bike. Time for a drink and snack break…so I thought.
Further up the trail I noticed a glove, then a jacket. I reached down to grab my pac…it was gone. Wait, someone took my stuff and dropped their jacket and glove. I ran up the trail. It was my jacket and glove, and a few other things spread up the abandoned trail. What is going on here? Then it dawned on me. A bear.
He had taken my pack sack while I wasn’t looking. My bike tools were gone, my food was gone, and my iPhone was gone. After a few minutes of frantically searching a small area I realize I needed help. I jumped on my bike and headed back out.
I met two mtb’ers at the exit of this hidden trail and explained what had just happened. I asked them to keep an eye out for my stuff and a bear. Then he appeared …at the exit …probably 400+lbs and didn’t care about us at all. He kept walking to another trail. Since I don’t speak Bear I couldn’t ask where my stuff was. I wanted my iPhone, packsac, tools and stuff back.
Anyways, with the help of “Find my Phone “ and a ping from my son-in-laws phone, we located my iPhone about 30m off the trail through some thick brush. Found my bike tools first, then my iPhone, then a sock, then some energy bar wrappers and finally my pac. My packsac was destroyed and had bear saliva inside and out.
I never leave my phone in my pack anymore. I’ve also had a number of run-ins, before and after this event, with this bruin. He’s the father of a number of cubs each year and this mountain seems to be his territory. My latest encounter with him was a staring contest, on a trail, which I lost. He’s a nice Bear …I hope.

Posted: Jan 26, 2022 at 7:21 Quote
hgardner wrote:
Really blows my story about crashing into a badger out the water lol
I suppose the odd bear is worth it for the terrain you guys get over the pond, but I'm glad we don't have them here, I would have needed my brown pants

A badger? I’m gonna google that.
If they are anything like a hiker with blaring music through earbuds whilst in the middle of the trail …then I’d need a protective shield and a masters degree in psychology. I’d rather kiss a bear.
Anyways, a new season of riding, bridge building and trail resurrection. This winter wasn’t as harsh as last year so the cougars weren’t pushed down to our area like they were last year.…but frequent shoulder checks are still necessary when you’re alone.

Posted: Mar 20, 2022 at 13:02 Quote
When your building buddy backs out, again.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015320
Mobile Version of Website