Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
Posted: May 25, 2019 at 17:04 Quote
Trisnpod wrote:
What's going on with this rotor? It came on a bike I bought yesterday and it really doesn't look healthy. Front one looks fine though. The back brake wasn't working very well (cable brakes, cables full of crap and not taking up slack so lever pulls to bar without moving the brake) so perhaps its just cos it hasn't been used recently and has corroded?
Wtf rotor:
photo
Happy rotor:
photo

Those look like AliExpress Chinese knock off rotors they are shit to Begin with

Posted: May 25, 2019 at 17:13 Quote
cyberoptixs wrote:
Trisnpod wrote:
What's going on with this rotor? It came on a bike I bought yesterday and it really doesn't look healthy. Front one looks fine though. The back brake wasn't working very well (cable brakes, cables full of crap and not taking up slack so lever pulls to bar without moving the brake) so perhaps its just cos it hasn't been used recently and has corroded?
Wtf rotor:
photo
Happy rotor:
photo

Those look like AliExpress Chinese knock off rotors they are shit to Begin with

Bope Schmeck

Posted: May 25, 2019 at 17:33 Quote
cyberoptixs wrote:
riish wrote:
While we're on the topic- is there a reccomended thickness to replace rotors at? I've had my ice-tecs for a good few years, wondering at what point (if any) the performance starts to drop off.

I think you are supposed to replace at 1.5mm thickness

Different manufacturers have different minimum thicknesses. It's usually printed on the rotors themselves.

Posted: May 25, 2019 at 21:08 Quote
seraph wrote:
cyberoptixs wrote:
riish wrote:
While we're on the topic- is there a reccomended thickness to replace rotors at? I've had my ice-tecs for a good few years, wondering at what point (if any) the performance starts to drop off.

Different manufacturers have different minimum thicknesses. It's usually printed on the rotors themselves.

That's a Shimano thickness it's printed on the side of my rotor

O+
Posted: May 25, 2019 at 21:24 Quote
cyberoptixs wrote:
riish wrote:

I just go by a visual inspection. If they appear to be noticeably thin I replace them.

Posted: May 25, 2019 at 21:50 Quote
ThunderChunk wrote:
cyberoptixs wrote:
riish wrote:

I just go by a visual inspection. If they appear to be noticeably thin I replace them.

im the same way with my women.

O+
Posted: May 25, 2019 at 22:22 Quote
cyberoptixs wrote:
ThunderChunk wrote:
cyberoptixs wrote:

im the same way with my women.

Hahahaha

Posted: May 25, 2019 at 23:57 Quote
cyberoptixs wrote:
seraph wrote:
cyberoptixs wrote:

Right but like I said, different manufacturers have different minimum thicknesses. My comment was for the masses.

Posted: May 26, 2019 at 6:40 Quote
seraph wrote:
cyberoptixs wrote:
seraph wrote:

Right but like I said, different manufacturers have different minimum thicknesses. My comment was for the masses.

Ahh yea sorry man. I had a brain fart lol

Posted: May 26, 2019 at 7:55 Quote
im about to change travel/swap air shaft on a 26" pike (with a t4 serial), going from 150mm to 130mm.
can anyone chip in if this is the correct spring and that it'll work without having to get anything else:

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/rockshox-pike-debonair-upgrade-kit-2014-2017/rp-prod171709?utm_source=affiliate-window&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_campaign=yieldkit&utm_term=YieldKit+GmbH+-+Content&utm_content=Sub+Networks&awc=2698_1558881970_ef9e3a02c8050deacf34d31b95b727dd

i can see the foot nut looks different, is that gonna be a problem?

Posted: May 26, 2019 at 9:05 Quote
noisette wrote:
im about to change travel/swap air shaft on a 26" pike (with a t4 serial), going from 150mm to 130mm.
can anyone chip in if this is the correct spring and that it'll work without having to get anything else:

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/rockshox-pike-debonair-upgrade-kit-2014-2017/rp-prod171709?utm_source=affiliate-window&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_campaign=yieldkit&utm_term=YieldKit+GmbH+-+Content&utm_content=Sub+Networks&awc=2698_1558881970_ef9e3a02c8050deacf34d31b95b727dd

yea that wont work debonair only works on the new forks ... if you are lowering it just put on 20mm worth of spacers on the air shaft and correct the oil volume in the fork and you should be good

Posted: May 26, 2019 at 9:35 Quote
cyberoptixs wrote:
noisette wrote:

yea that wont work debonair only works on the new forks ... if you are lowering it just put on 20mm worth of spacers on the air shaft and correct the oil volume in the fork and you should be good
you cant lower a pike with spacers...

And yes, provided your fork is from the right year, that kit will have everything

Posted: May 26, 2019 at 10:12 Quote
Nobble wrote:
cyberoptixs wrote:
noisette wrote:

This is true. By using spacers the neg transfer port won’t line up correctly with the piston.

Posted: May 26, 2019 at 19:10 Quote
Nobble wrote:
cyberoptixs wrote:
noisette wrote:

And yes, provided your fork is from the right year, that kit will have everything

thanks, and that's why why i mentioned the t4 from the serial number, would stand to reason that it's a 2014, right?

Posted: May 26, 2019 at 19:39 Quote
Does anyone know if an axle is sold to convert a Shimano saint or zee to a 135x10 bolted? Was hoping I could use a Shimano hub on my next build as I have built up a good discount on Shimano tec.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.027561
Mobile Version of Website