For comparison - reach figures

Medium Capra - 42.2
Medium Spec enduro - 42.1
Medium SC Nomad - 41.5
Medium Tranny Patrol - 43.2
17.5 Trek Slash - 43.4

So its pretty much ballpark with a not of the 'nu school' designs

Brilliant.

How about comparing it with some actual 'nu school' geometry bike though? The only one remotely trying is the new Patrol.

Medium Strive Race: 448mm
Medium Mondraker Dune: 459mm
Medium Giant Reign: 444mm

The issue isn't really for smaller riders, as they can size up a frame size to create the same effect, as bikes come with a low ST & standover now. It's when you reach 5'10 or more (other than odd exceptions) you can't go for an XL, as they don't make one.

Which they seem to be addressing, as mentioned on Dirt.

JasenK wrote:
Even though I wrote reach, what I meant (the key measurements) are horizontal TT length and stack. The steep seat tube gives the Capra a cramped feel as this dimension is def on the shorter size, plus the stack is low also (great for the "attack" position".

Exactly this. It feels cramped as it pushes you forward onto the bars, especially with the the lower stack height.

I still can't work out (well, I can - advertising) why Dirt rave so much about the Capra, Jones is one of the worst people for complaining about bikes being too small & here is an, average at best geometry & he has barely mentioned it, yet other bikes of similar sizes are borderline unrideable as they are too small.

Maybe i'm just a bit bitter due to a bad experience.

Posted: Feb 3, 2015 at 2:37 Quote
HuckersNeck wrote:
Karve wrote:
For comparison - reach figures

Medium Capra - 42.2
Medium Spec enduro - 42.1
Medium SC Nomad - 41.5
Medium Tranny Patrol - 43.2
17.5 Trek Slash - 43.4

So its pretty much ballpark with a not of the 'nu school' designs

Brilliant.

How about comparing it with some actual 'nu school' geometry bike though? The only one remotely trying is the new Patrol.

Medium Strive Race: 448mm
Medium Mondraker Dune: 459mm
Medium Giant Reign: 444mm

The issue isn't really for smaller riders, as they can size up a frame size to create the same effect, as bikes come with a low ST & standover now. It's when you reach 5'10 or more (other than odd exceptions) you can't go for an XL, as they don't make one.

Which they seem to be addressing, as mentioned on Dirt.

JasenK wrote:
Even though I wrote reach, what I meant (the key measurements) are horizontal TT length and stack. The steep seat tube gives the Capra a cramped feel as this dimension is def on the shorter size, plus the stack is low also (great for the "attack" position".

Exactly this. It feels cramped as it pushes you forward onto the bars, especially with the the lower stack height.

I still can't work out (well, I can - advertising) why Dirt rave so much about the Capra, Jones is one of the worst people for complaining about bikes being too small & here is an, average at best geometry & he has barely mentioned it, yet other bikes of similar sizes are borderline unrideable as they are too small.

Maybe i'm just a bit bitter due to a bad experience.

I don;t want to wade into the moaning about sizing (again), but a point I made earlier in this thread, is that I feel the pro model has had its steerer cut much too short. For anyone who feels that the bike pushes them forward into the bars, my recommendation woud be that perhaps the bike's sizing is fine, you just need to raise your bars - either by putting spacers underneath the stem, or buy higher rise bars. From there you can play slightly with the roll of the bars too.

This all just means that you're pushed further back, putting you in a "better" position while descending i.e: Not feeling like you're pitched over and riding the bike a bit further off the middle to back.

Posted: Feb 3, 2015 at 4:06 Quote
As above....yes, and yes!!

Steer cut to short, yes, but should have just run with a far more conventional stack (again, at least 10 - 15mm), then you don't need to space up the stem. The bars are actually quite high rise (35mm on old Comp 1 I had I think).

When everyone is moving to shorter stems seems like YT going longer for 2015? Longer TT please.....needs to be at least 20mm, probably much more, so can go to even shorter stem! I also feel exactly the same as HuckersNeck (feckwit journs, complained in one test about Spicy sizing Vs Capra without realised it was a MEDIUM Spicy they were riding, and large Spicy is significantly bigger than large Capra...and as said, didn't bitch about relatively tiny Capra), but do need to add again that plenty feel the opposite and happy with sizing!!

I think you'll see next gen bikes for other manufacturers following Mondraker and moving to significantly longer TT and thus 10 - 20mm stems.... YT Capra 2016??

Posted: Feb 3, 2015 at 4:13 Quote
Hi all I know the issue with size is an important one (5 foot 10 and ride a large but can we see some videos/pictures of people having fun on there bikes. Hears one of me with a silly crash in it
Views: 956    Faves: 0    Comments: 4

Posted: Feb 3, 2015 at 5:27 Quote
JasenK wrote:

Steer cut to short, yes, but should have just run with a far more conventional stack (again, at least 10 - 15mm), then you don't need to space up the stem. The bars are actually quite high rise (35mm on old Comp 1 I had I think).

When everyone is moving to shorter stems seems like YT going longer for 2015? Longer TT please.....needs to be at least 20mm, probably much more, so can go to even shorter stem! I also feel exactly the same as HuckersNeck (feckwit journs, complained in one test about Spicy sizing Vs Capra without realised it was a MEDIUM Spicy they were riding, and large Spicy is significantly bigger than large Capra...and as said, didn't bitch about relatively tiny Capra), but do need to add again that plenty feel the opposite and happy with sizing!!

I think you'll see next gen bikes for other manufacturers following Mondraker and moving to significantly longer TT and thus 10 - 20mm stems.... YT Capra 2016??

I dont think you can get much shorter than 25-30mm in a conventional stem, because of the bar/steerer interference. Bolt on would be different of course .

Posted: Feb 3, 2015 at 6:30 Quote
MDodd wrote:
JasenK wrote:

I dont think you cant get much shorter than 25-30mm in a conventional stem, because of the bar/steerer interference. Bolt on would be different of course .

Mondraker centre stem has 10mm reach....but may be a bit too extreme for some as they have backed off to 30mm stems now I think?!

O+
Posted: Feb 3, 2015 at 6:38 Quote
BaconFat wrote:
ninenailspete wrote:
So my Capra turned up yesterday - the last of the 2014 Capra Pros. It's got the old style dropout (before the redesign) ...

I wouldn't let the old chain stay worry you as it was actually the mech. hanger that was responsible for the cracking issues. They did a redesign which was a belt and braces approach to the problem. If you have the new hanger then you shouldn't have any problems and if you do they will sort it under warranty. Mine is the old stay but new hanger and had no issues.

Thank you! So just to make sure, this is the old style chainstay with the new style dropout, and this setup generally hasn't been giving people any problems?

Dropout on 2014 YT Capra Pro

Dropout on 2014 YT Capra Pro

O+
Posted: Feb 3, 2015 at 6:51 Quote
shaun1140 wrote:
How can you complain about the brakes being Avid, when the spec for the 2014 Pro as been Avid's
Guides have only ever been shown on the 2015 model. Or did I miss something?

I wasn't complaining - I just wanted to check how other people's bikes have been specced. Everyone else I know who's ordered a 2014 Capra got it with SRAM Guides instead of the original Avids, so I wanted to check what others have been receiving. No great shakes either way...

O+
Posted: Feb 3, 2015 at 6:53 Quote
MDodd wrote:
ninenailspete wrote:
So my Capra turned up yesterday - the last of the 2014 Capra Pros. It's got the old style dropout (before the redesign) and Avid brakes (rather than Guides). I wouldn't have bought it if I'd known it had the cracky back-end - surely they wouldn't have redesigned the bike if it wasn't a problem?

Has anyone else been getting old stock?

Was the bike one of the Outlet bikes, or was it ordered as a normal one ?

I bought it as one of the normal €3999 bikes, not outlet.

Posted: Feb 3, 2015 at 6:58 Quote
Honestly why do you want to keep a bike that cost you some thousands Euros and it is obviously a returned bike unless of course you think that they have forgotten it in a closet for months and once they found it they sent it to you?

The previous design is just a damage waiting to happen and I can understand to some degree the guys who have it and use it without an issue but you just received it. A 2014 old design most probably returned model in early 2015!

It is your money my friend but don't try to feel better for something that YT recognized as a bad design and redesigned. Just send it back and demand a redesigned one or a 2015 model.

Posted: Feb 3, 2015 at 6:59 Quote
ninenailspete wrote:
MDodd wrote:
ninenailspete wrote:
So my Capra turned up yesterday - the last of the 2014 Capra Pros. It's got the old style dropout (before the redesign) and Avid brakes (rather than Guides). I wouldn't have bought it if I'd known it had the cracky back-end - surely they wouldn't have redesigned the bike if it wasn't a problem?

Has anyone else been getting old stock?

Was the bike one of the Outlet bikes, or was it ordered as a normal one ?

I bought it as one of the normal €3999 bikes, not outlet.

Technically as regards the brakes it was sold as advertised, as the online spec always had just the Avids. YT might sort you out though if you ask nicely.

Posted: Feb 3, 2015 at 8:53 Quote
Hi all.

I'm sure this has been done to death, but I cant find much online.
I'm thinking of dropping my hard earned on a Large Capra Al 2. Website says it's suitable for 184 to 196cm tall. I'm 188 (6'2).
I've heard they come up short. Any 6'2 plus riders on large Capra's?! Help!

Posted: Feb 3, 2015 at 9:07 Quote
loving my capra, with added 32t oval chainring
photo

O+
Posted: Feb 3, 2015 at 9:15 Quote
Can't help you with that myself , I'm 5'7" and Medium fits me well .YT have an XL on the way though so don't rush to squeeze into a Large http://dirtmountainbike.com/news/first-look-yt-capra-aluminium-2015.html#7vyj7pHKomOjHSSz.97
Liambass wrote:
Hi all.

I'm sure this has been done to death, but I cant find much online.
I'm thinking of dropping my hard earned on a Large Capra Al 2. Website says it's suitable for 184 to 196cm tall. I'm 188 (6'2).
I've heard they come up short. Any 6'2 plus riders on large Capra's?! Help!

Posted: Feb 3, 2015 at 9:15 Quote
For all you Pro Race buyers, i have just seen a £6.5k Nomad build with Deville FCV's on,
they look like 170 Devilles with a Fox C,T,D dial on the r/h leg.
So i should think you will be getting them.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016876
Mobile Version of Website