Powered by Outside

Automotive General discussion.

PB Forum :: Off-Topic
Automotive General discussion.
Posted: Jul 30, 2023 at 1:14 Quote
It is an incredible piece of shit

That's coming from a dude with a mk2 golf sitting in parts in his garage, honestly these cars last heaps in europe and even here they're considered bad

Posted: Jul 30, 2023 at 4:53 Quote
Yep, those Audi chains are an engine out job, and even just removing the engine looks like a headache. lots of connectors on the harness and a lot of coolant lines. I like chains because they're low maintenance, but when I have replaced them (GM 3.6L V6 ecotec, aka the rattletec), made me think maybe belts aren't such a bad idea lol There is a reason I drive a 1hz, easiest belt ever and the rest is gear driven, and not much to go wrong.

Air suspension itself is also an expensive fix, not so much labour, just parts. Best advice is just don't buy an old Audi in general, plastic pipes for cooling systems are a terrible idea and they are extremely complex cooling systems with a lot of components that degrade over time.

Mk2 golfs are simple, that's just old car things. daily driving 30 year old cars, things are going to break. my e30 was like that too, always something to do on it.

Come to think of it my LandCruisers like that too lol Have to weld up a brace under the steering box soon as its cracked at the chassis. Common issue, apparently.

Posted: Jul 30, 2023 at 5:02 Quote
jespinal wrote:
DO NOT GET AN ALLROAD

Unless you can do the timing chain yourself it's a 5k fix because audi thought that it would be a good idea to put it in the back of the engine, also the air ride is prone to failure.

thanks for the warning bro..! I appreciate you looking out. It's my father's wife's car. She just got a brand new one and this comes to me at a price I cannot refuse. Wink

I'm not super fond of a tiny turbocharged grenade motor, but at least the chain for the 2.0L is in front like most 'normal' engines. LOL
Looks like Audi's V8, Veedubs VR6 engine, and BMW's N47/B47 had timing chains in the back of those. I'd like to throat punch the engineering team who thought that was a good plan.

I swear those people have never been forced to deal with their designs when they don't work as intended. "Zee chain system very rrrrobust. Use plastic guides that are stiff like German cock in zee middle of vinter. I say vee poot zee timink chains in zee back of zee engine. Ya ya...never have to touch, eet run forever ....like scared rabbit run from hunter....!"

yes please....let's sandwich mission-critical plastic parts between two major heat sources. Rolleyes

This is a 2016 so it's also supposed to have the updated rings and shit to deal with the nightmarish oil consumption concerns that plagued the 2012 and earlier engines. So they say....

The belt-driven water pump IS on the backside of the timing cover which is a bit f*cked up. Both jobs are going to suck complete ass when I do them, but I do all that work myself. Car has just over 60k on it, so all this is gonna need done as soon as I get it up here.

I'm not too afraid of SLS work, only the costs associated with it. My e39 wagon had air ride and I did a shit ton of work on it. Both rear air tanks, both rear air springs, complete r/r of the air suspension compressor, valves rebuilt, etc.... but it was such a benefit in that car that I would not have had that car any other way.

Posted: Jul 30, 2023 at 21:13 Quote
yo13bo wrote:
Yep, those Audi chains are an engine out job, and even just removing the engine looks like a headache. lots of connectors on the harness and a lot of coolant lines. I like chains because they're low maintenance, but when I have replaced them (GM 3.6L V6 ecotec, aka the rattletec), made me think maybe belts aren't such a bad idea lol There is a reason I drive a 1hz, easiest belt ever and the rest is gear driven, and not much to go wrong.

Air suspension itself is also an expensive fix, not so much labour, just parts. Best advice is just don't buy an old Audi in general, plastic pipes for cooling systems are a terrible idea and they are extremely complex cooling systems with a lot of components that degrade over time.

Mk2 golfs are simple, that's just old car things. daily driving 30 year old cars, things are going to break. my e30 was like that too, always something to do on it.

Come to think of it my LandCruisers like that too lol Have to weld up a brace under the steering box soon as its cracked at the chassis. Common issue, apparently.

Super common issue, couple of friends ended up having that crack...

Im saying Fit and getting an air locker for the front of the patrol... and I used to think bikes were expensive...

Also building a vertical bike rack soonish with the rear bumper and quarter chop

Posted: Jul 30, 2023 at 21:19 Quote
photo

Doing bar work also... so most likely will build something for the rear and a vertical one to support part of the roof rack weight (RTT is quite hefty)

Me on IG

Posted: Jul 31, 2023 at 3:43 Quote
I always thought having a vertical bike mount on the spare wheel on a Y60 Patrol would be great. I do think a quarter chop is great for clearance and longevity on them, too, seen them start rusting in that section pretty often, so gets rid of that area where mud builds up and starts rusting the inside of the quarter.

Yeah bikes are f*cking cheap compared to this shit, the list of stuff I want to do to my 105 series is just under 10k and thats a pretty basic list, thats just scrub bars and sliders, rear bar, rear locker, tyres and upgraded panhards and tie rod.

Modern cars are built to last to the end of warranty and that's it, seen it time and time again where there is zero consideration for replacing wear items. Again, why I drive a 25 year old car lol 460k km and plenty left in it.

Posted: Sep 10, 2023 at 19:09 Quote
@itschris, you have my dream SUV right there! After I saw one mashing down a mountain in Glacier below our local ski mountain Mt. Baker I was in love.

Posted: Oct 2, 2023 at 19:50 Quote
bryandickson wrote:
Yeah it's super weird. So after getting my truck back, f*ck is it ever slow compared to before. Not the same at all. We're now thinking that when I bought it that it must've had a tune still on the ECM...even though I was told it doesn't. So I may have stacked tunes on it...not good. Fuel mileage is sooo much worse now too it's f*cked. Need to get it tuned again soon.
Shit man, guess it's better than not running at all but still

Posted: Oct 3, 2023 at 3:14 Quote
Yeah. Bryan you should get some dyno time for sure.

Posted: Oct 3, 2023 at 4:25 Quote
second this, im curious whats going on with it

Posted: Oct 3, 2023 at 17:17 Quote
Holy shit you guys who dont bike are still here eh

Posted: Oct 3, 2023 at 17:55 Quote
I barely ride anymore haha

Posted: Oct 5, 2023 at 5:00 Quote
its-chris wrote:
I barely ride anymore haha

hahaha...same here. I really try to get out but I spend ways too much time maintaining shit or fixing broken shit.

shit......If I could charge my family just for the vehicle maintenance/repairs. lol

between that, and working for the race team, I could probably make a comfortable living. lol

Posted: Oct 5, 2023 at 5:04 Quote
we had a solid finish for both cars at the last two events.....

Road America's up next ! tup

https://teamsahlen.com/

Posted: Oct 6, 2023 at 14:41 Quote
You gonna be at petite Le Mans?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.030325
Mobile Version of Website