All you Orange riders get in here!

PB Forum :: Post Your Ride
All you Orange riders get in here!
Posted: Mar 27, 2017 at 6:09 Quote
Loving the stealthy build Kale! tup

So I'm in need of some advice that I may get shot at for but here goes. I acquired ScotJ's Orange 5 over a year ago and am now starting to get it built up. The problem being is I have a very limited budget in which to do so, I have been offered a set of 650b wheels and tyres for free for her instead of having to buy a set (I can't sell these free ones as they are a long term loan off a mate).

My problem herein lies, the Orange I have is a 2012 model so is the 26" Five and not the 650b model. Could I get away with running the 650b wheels without issue? I'm not so concerned about contact when bottoming out because I run a pretty stiff coil setup but would geometry be adversely affected? Furthermore could I rectify this issue with offset bushings if necessary?

O+
Posted: Mar 27, 2017 at 10:42 Quote
nope geo would/should not be affected as you have the same increase front and rear Smile

I do recal shit tyre clearance though, so on 650 setup you'd probably have to run stupid small rear tyre?

Posted: Mar 27, 2017 at 12:26 Quote
I will double check tyre clearance as that's a very valid point tup

I was worried about BB height but I think it'll be ok with offset bushings.

Rad.

Posted: Mar 28, 2017 at 2:22 Quote
rAtty-c wrote:
I will double check tyre clearance as that's a very valid point tup

I was worried about BB height but I think it'll be ok with offset bushings.

Rad.

The 5 is one of the most popular frames to install Offset Bushings in actually - we're producing a bunch for them today in fact! If you're upgrading to 650b wheels then they'll certainly help to maintain a lower BB height.

Here's an image pulled from our site as a rough guide.

photo

Jeron @ Offset Bushings

Posted: Mar 28, 2017 at 6:24 Quote
I dont think it will work im afraid, first of all you will raise the BB, which as above could be resolved by fitting offset bushes (to some degree) but i think the tyre will come very close (if not touch ) the seat tube when the suspension is fully compressed. Why not stick the wheels in the frame with a tyre and give it a go....

O+
Posted: Mar 28, 2017 at 11:49 Quote
yeah and it's not that five it's the 12 one, but i should do about the same thing, like russyh said, just fit the rear and see what it's like

Posted: Mar 29, 2017 at 0:52 Quote
Scotj009 wrote:
yeah and it's not that five it's the 12 one, but i should do about the same thing, like russyh said, just fit the rear and see what it's like

It's just a general image to give customers an idea of the effect Offset Bushings have Smile

Posted: Mar 29, 2017 at 14:29 Quote
I have these off sets on my 2013 Five.

Awesome!!!!

O+
Posted: Mar 29, 2017 at 23:52 Quote
jezzah wrote:
Scotj009 wrote:

It's just a general image to give customers an idea of the effect Offset Bushings have Smile

Yeah it's really cool to see companies using computer generated images and movements more and more, great idea!

Posted: Mar 30, 2017 at 2:19 Quote
I live the idea of slackening the head angle further on my 2017 Five. Would love to see how it handles at around 64deg. Offset bushes would lower the BB even further and in my opinion the BB height is about spot on if not a little too low on the current model five. Great for railing corners, but not so great for my expensive pedals as with even the moments lapse in concentration you end up smashing the shit out of them. Thinking about a slackset headset, but cant be arsed with the hassle of swapping out the hope unit.

Posted: Mar 31, 2017 at 4:53 Quote
rAtty-c wrote:
Loving the stealthy build Kale! tup

So I'm in need of some advice that I may get shot at for but here goes. I acquired ScotJ's Orange 5 over a year ago and am now starting to get it built up. The problem being is I have a very limited budget in which to do so, I have been offered a set of 650b wheels and tyres for free for her instead of having to buy a set (I can't sell these free ones as they are a long term loan off a mate).

My problem herein lies, the Orange I have is a 2012 model so is the 26" Five and not the 650b model. Could I get away with running the 650b wheels without issue? I'm not so concerned about contact when bottoming out because I run a pretty stiff coil setup but would geometry be adversely affected? Furthermore could I rectify this issue with offset bushings if necessary?
I know it's a different frame but I put 650s in my 224 when I had it. Was tight but just about fitted. Best thing to do would be to fit them with tyres, take the coil off and compress the shock. that's how I made sure mine cleared.

Posted: Mar 31, 2017 at 4:58 Quote
Oh, whilst I'm here...it's been a while.
photo

O+
Posted: Mar 31, 2017 at 10:49 Quote
Looking sick as usual gary tup

Had any problems with all your 36s?

Posted: Mar 31, 2017 at 11:12 Quote
Scotj009 wrote:
Looking sick as usual gary tup

Had any problems with all your 36s?
Nope, they've been good. Gave them a lowers service a couple of months back and now feel even better.

Posted: Mar 31, 2017 at 11:33 Quote
So as Gary posted his pink passion wagon. Thought I would post a new pic of my 2017 Five.

photo

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.016696
Mobile Version of Website