E-MTB The best thing since sliced bread!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
E-MTB The best thing since sliced bread!
O+
Posted: Mar 24, 2021 at 14:25 Quote
bocomtb wrote:
Let me help remove the temptation of the evil e-MTBs which have hold of your soul:

photo

Hahahaha, nice.

O+
Posted: Mar 24, 2021 at 14:27 Quote
onyxss wrote:
bocomtb wrote:
jbrown-15 wrote:

because opinions are like a*sholes and everyone has one....lol

I agree with you though, just the typical ebike hate that most ebike owners are use too by now.
eBikes keep evolving yet the haters say the same old things.

I've still yet to meet someone throw shade at me in real life for riding my eMTB. Usually people are practically begging to give it a spin.

E-mopeds are still the same in essential thing which bothers "haters" - its a bike with motor attached to assist pedaling. So there is no "evolving" in this idea, just motors are becoming smaller, more powerful etc.
Anyway, this thread should be moved to eMtb forum group newly created. As it turns out again and again, separation is the best way to make everyone happy.
Like on street, motorized vehicles are separated from pedestrians and bikes. Win-win. E-news filter is greatly appreciated, e-pinkbike.com would be best - i.e. Gmbn has separate video channels for e and normal bikes.
E-stuff is a new category and should be treated like that, most hate is happening when you try to blend it in to some of the existing categoties, but you cant - its not bike, its not classic motorbike. Its quite simple, its something new Smile

Sound alot like segregation..... Or people could just quit being douchebags and mind their own business.

Posted: Mar 24, 2021 at 15:42 Quote
bocomtb wrote:
Let me help remove the temptation of the evil e-MTBs which have hold of your soul:

photo

I wish Pinkbike had the like button for the forums.

Posted: Mar 27, 2021 at 13:20 Quote
bocomtb wrote:
jbrown-15 wrote:
bocomtb wrote:
If you don't think E-MTBs are the best thing since sliced bread then why are you even in this thread?

because opinions are like a*sholes and everyone has one....lol

I agree with you though, just the typical ebike hate that most ebike owners are use too by now.
eBikes keep evolving yet the haters say the same old things.

I've still yet to meet someone throw shade at me in real life for riding my eMTB. Usually people are practically begging to give it a spin.

Same here, I've been riding emtbs for 4 years now and never get any hate out on the trails. Most wish they had one.

Posted: Mar 27, 2021 at 13:29 Quote
DonLopez wrote:
If it has a motor, then by definition it is motorized. Call it what you want: E-bike, motorized bicycle, or motorbike. Personally it think they should be called E-moped bikes, and I don’t want a motor and pedals on the same machine. If you want an E-moped bike, go get one and enjoy it. I prefer my gas eating KTM if there is a motor on the bike.
By the way, KTM makes an E-motorbike that will out run that gas eating 450 and Tesla makes electric cars that out run muscle cars. I’ll move over for you on your Moped going uphill if you’ll move over for me going down.

I wish people still thought ebikes were slow downhill like you do. When I got my first levo 4 years ago it was really fun watching people refuse to move on climbs thinking they could lose me on the upcoming DH part of the trail. The look on their faces was priceless

Posted: Mar 27, 2021 at 14:32 Quote
Why is this not in e-mtb forum group? Moderators move. ..

Posted: Mar 27, 2021 at 14:56 Quote
E mtbs are fun to have a go on especially the first time but I don't wish I had one. Yea they are fun when you first get on one in turbo mode, turn the cranks 10 degrees and you are already doing 10mph, basically the cranks are more of an on off switch at least on the e7000, a guy I know with an e bike spends most of the time just ratcheting the cranks in boost mode lol getting the motor to kick in between coasting. They are fun in the same way accelerating a motorbike from a stop or any other motorised transport that pulls you with no human effort is fun, like a toy. And yea they are good at helping you up the hill. But past the speed cap they down right suck. I was biking with my mate from work, granted flat terrain, but on road especially you are soon up to 15mph on any bike, my bike wanted to keep going but he struggles the instant the motor cuts out. I never even realised I must be cruising around at 20+ mph most of the time on my bike until I looked at him and was wondering why we were going so slow on flat ground when he has an e bike, he goes this is the max until it cuts off...I was like what? This is 15mph already? Not to mention maybe it's the fact I have high quality hubs with good bearings, but just coasting downhill my bike pulls away, past 15mph it's game over as far as I'm concerned. Actually the guy I know with the e bike was surprised I just effortlessly cruise up the hill...he doesn't know much about bikes, just owns an e bike cos he thought why not, but he had a go on my Yeti with oval chainring and was shocked how easy it goes up hill too, he was adament it must be the oval chainring haha XD, obviously it's not as easy as an e bike in boost mode but it's bloody good enough for me to not have to put up with the drawbacks everywhere else. Bloody 13 grand for the latest Levo and you're capped at 15mph then feel like your pedalling two bikes beyond that, no thanks. As far as I'm concerned E bike are only goof for winching you up the hill in steep places where there is no uplift. On flatter XC type terrain they are no good, average speeds exceed the motor cut off limit and you can bloody well tell soon as it cuts out what you are trying to move around, and if I want to go on a day trip on my bike say just go for miles and miles on xc type terrain what am I gonna do when I'm 30miles away and the battery is dying. People think you don't or shouldn't do this type of riding on an enduro bike, but even today I must have done about 35miles just pottering about to a few places over the course of about 3 hours. I use my enduro bike for everything and all riding, if I did only downhill I'd get a downhill bike, and for all around riding a normal bike is better as you can maintain a higher average speed for longer and not have to worry about any flat batteries either.

O+
Posted: Mar 27, 2021 at 17:28 Quote
I'm interested in a norco range vlt. But some bike parks, trails, forest service only allow class 1 ebikes. I can't any info on what this bike class is.
Is there a better way to categorize this bike

Posted: Mar 28, 2021 at 1:39 Quote
Bikeparks opening up in England tomorrow, got monday - wednesday booked. Will be getting 3 times more runs than the pedal only riders (walkers :lolSmile ) for the same price.
I love that I can spend all day actually riding my bike rather than the majority of the day pushing it uphill.
#e-winning

Posted: Mar 28, 2021 at 2:19 Quote
How do you spend 'all day' when you're battery is flat in a few hours? And if you go to Revolution or BPW you can get a Land Rover up to the top which is miles faster than biking up so in fact in places with lift access normal bikes are faster and get more runs in if the ebiker chooses not to use the uplift too.

But yea I'm more figuring out this all day bit, I've got a 3kg 1/8 scale brushless rc car (basically a toy) that flattens a a 200 watt hour equivalent battery setup in 10 - 15 minutes, so doubt those 500 watt hour batteries are pushing you up hills all day, or do you have to keep it in e bike mode 20% of the time and the rest switch it off and heavy pig mode? XD

Posted: Mar 28, 2021 at 2:37 Quote
I'm not going to either of them 2 places, as they aren't open.
Multiple batteries.
Enjoy your toy car.

Posted: Mar 28, 2021 at 4:29 Quote
Which is exactly the point I made earlier in effect. You are stuck to doing laps of the same trail and going back to your car to swap out the battery after a couple hours. What if you want to go on a day out bike ride through the country side in the summer with a few mates, maybe stop off for a few beers here or there, truly making the day of it or go abroad exploring trails or backpacking with your bike, it's a hell of a lot of money to spend on a bike that is only useful for lapping short uphill and downhill bikeparks for a few hours where there is no uplift and is capped at 15mph... Imo the trails where the ebike comes in handy is too specific to put up with the drawbacks to battery longevity, speed cap and weight. Sounds like most e bikers are just solo riding alone doing repeat laps of short non lift access downhill centres.

So when e bikers are slagging off normal bikes / bikers all the time acting like ebikes are superior in every way think about that for a minute. There is no need for either side to slag each other off, both types of bikes have their advantages but lets be realistic about the pros and cons of both.

Posted: Mar 28, 2021 at 4:52 Quote
That's fine. I'm talking specifically about riding UK bikeparks. I have zero interest in bikepacking or bimbling around the countryside.
You do not need to buy one if it doesn't suit your preferred riding style.
They suit my preferred riding very well indeed and cost isn't an issue.

Posted: Mar 28, 2021 at 5:09 Quote
That's fair enough. What gets my back up is this shit throwing contest from both sides. One saying ebikes are for lazy weak people and are motorcycles, the other claiming normal bikes are antiquated and everyone is jealous they don't have an ebike. My reason for buying an enduro bike is I do a lot of regular xc type trails locally and enjoy spending the day out on my bike particularly in summer, then I take the same bike to Llandegla, Revolution or BPW and if I'm lucky the odd trip away to the alps..an e bike won't suit my needs for long days out and a DH bike is overkill and I don't go often enough to Revolution or the Alps to be worth having a DH and trail bike, so the regular Enduro bike hit's the nail on the head for me, light and comfortable enough for long rides and capable enough for the park.

Posted: Mar 28, 2021 at 5:23 Quote
Good stuff. We all buy the bike that's most suited to what we ride.
So for the thread title, hell yes, an ebike is the best thing since sliced bread for my preferred and most accessible riding.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011069
Mobile Version of Website