2021 patrol date???

PB Forum :: Transition
2021 patrol date???
O+
Posted: Sep 17, 2022 at 21:56 Quote
For the people running 2023 Super Deluxe Ultimate Coils on the new Patrol, what coils and what body weight are you? Also what is your shock tune? I can only find one tune for sale at retail (linear rebound, LC (low compression)) which I ordered.

Posted: Sep 18, 2022 at 3:07 Quote
kingch24 wrote:
Anyone got ETA on new patrol carbon? My LBS is thinking maybe December for fames and spring for full builds. Does this sound right?

I've put a deposit down, have been told either December or January. Fingers crossed for Xmas!

Posted: Sep 18, 2022 at 16:09 Quote
We have several frames on order and are slated to get 2 of them in October and another in December. We have not ordered any completes in carbon though we DO have 2 medium raw alloy GX on the way and should have them in the shop this coming week.

Posted: Sep 20, 2022 at 0:35 Quote
gramboh wrote:
For the people running 2023 Super Deluxe Ultimate Coils on the new Patrol, what coils and what body weight are you? Also what is your shock tune? I can only find one tune for sale at retail (linear rebound, LC (low compression)) which I ordered.

low 90s (varies a little - about 93KG kitted) can't make my mind up between 450 and 500 lbs. 550 is too much. I think 500lbs is right for pedalling efficiency and keeping the head angle a little steeper/responsive but still swap between them as I prefer the 450 for sensitivity - trying 450 with higher HBO currently

I don't do big bike park jumps though, the above is for riding natural or badly worn out trails with smaller jumps (6-10ft probably)

Stock tune out the box (whatever that is)

FWIW I am very happy with it

O+
Posted: Sep 20, 2022 at 16:01 Quote
Mike172 wrote:
gramboh wrote:

low 90s (varies a little - about 93KG kitted) can't make my mind up between 450 and 500 lbs. 550 is too much. I think 500lbs is right for pedalling efficiency and keeping the head angle a little steeper/responsive but still swap between them as I prefer the 450 for sensitivity - trying 450 with higher HBO currently

I don't do big bike park jumps though, the above is for riding natural or badly worn out trails with smaller jumps (6-10ft probably)

Thanks dude, super helpful. I'm 97kg give or take nekkid, probably riding weight probably around 100-102kg with shoes, helmet etc. so I think the 550# I ordered should be a good starting point. Calculators online were showing me 550-600lbs depending on sag (28-33%) and I found a cheap 600# used on Amazon so have that coming as well, can always sell it and grab a 500 if I decide 550# is too much or maybe go third party for a more specific weight. Stoked to get the shock and see how HBO works, the thought of being able to go down a bit on spring for better grip (say toward 33% sag instead) and using HBO to manage bottom out is really appealing. I mostly ride tech and prioritize grip. The trails I ride have drops and some jumps but I am not hitting anything huge and only do a handful of park days a year with proper jump lines.

I think there's only one tune sold by RS in the retail channel. I've asked the local RS experts what they think about it on a Patrol, can always get it changed when I get the shock serviced. I suspect I might also go up to 65mm stroke/170mm travel (which requires full rebuilt and a new part cuz of HBO) and bump fork to 170mm too next spring.

Posted: Sep 21, 2022 at 1:29 Quote
gramboh wrote:
Mike172 wrote:
gramboh wrote:

Thanks dude, super helpful. I'm 97kg give or take nekkid, probably riding weight probably around 100-102kg with shoes, helmet etc. so I think the 550# I ordered should be a good starting point. Calculators online were showing me 550-600lbs depending on sag (28-33%) and I found a cheap 600# used on Amazon so have that coming as well, can always sell it and grab a 500 if I decide 550# is too much or maybe go third party for a more specific weight. Stoked to get the shock and see how HBO works, the thought of being able to go down a bit on spring for better grip (say toward 33% sag instead) and using HBO to manage bottom out is really appealing. I mostly ride tech and prioritize grip. The trails I ride have drops and some jumps but I am not hitting anything huge and only do a handful of park days a year with proper jump lines.

I think there's only one tune sold by RS in the retail channel. I've asked the local RS experts what they think about it on a Patrol, can always get it changed when I get the shock serviced. I suspect I might also go up to 65mm stroke/170mm travel (which requires full rebuilt and a new part cuz of HBO) and bump fork to 170mm too next spring.

Interesting on the rebuild with a travel change did RS themselves say that?

I went with 62.5mm because thats all the was at the time (the shaft is marked with 62.5mm too). I wont bother changing it for the sake of 5mm of travel but I figured I could chop the travel spacer out of the bottom without issue like the old ones.

O+
Posted: Sep 22, 2022 at 8:54 Quote
Mike172 wrote:
gramboh wrote:
Mike172 wrote:

Interesting on the rebuild with a travel change did RS themselves say that?

I went with 62.5mm because thats all the was at the time (the shaft is marked with 62.5mm too). I wont bother changing it for the sake of 5mm of travel but I figured I could chop the travel spacer out of the bottom without issue like the old ones.

I picked it up from a few tech videos, the Pinkbike article on the launch of the 2022 RS shocks mentions it to. It's because of HBO, because it's position sensitive (last 20% coil, 25% air), the length of the shock shaft impacts where HBO circuit is working, so cutting out spacers at best impairs or reduces function of HBO. Supposedly the different length shafts will be/are available at SRAM/RS service centres and to aftermarket tuners so they can swap it over during a rebuild. Since I'm 160/160 now and 60mm was available I went that way but definitely want to bump up to 170/170 next year I think. Will to sacrifice the climbing impact of a 170 fork for a nicer ride.

Posted: Sep 22, 2022 at 12:17 Quote
Interesting thanks. It's definitely a better bike at 170mm. Becomes an absolute truck though

O+
Posted: Sep 29, 2022 at 11:55 Quote
Got the SD Ultimate Coil installed yesterday and did a test ride with a couple shuttle laps on Seymour (steep tech, pretty dry and loose right now) and wow, first impressions are extremely positive. 550lbs coil on currently (215lbs naked) with a 600lbs coming. I honestly haven't even had time to check sag yet, mounting the shock was finnicky with the stupid trunnion screws so I was already late meeting my buddy. Damper settings neutral on LSC/HSC, +1 HBO and rebound 6 out from closed which was just a guess from bouncing on it and a relatively high spring rate.

Bike feels so much more settled and stable in rough terrain than the factory X2 (which I tried a bunch of different setups on). The plush magic carpet feeling out back is so nice, and results in more chassis stability which I didn't anticipate, but basically it feels like my weight is staying more in the middle of the bike and bars/fork are staying higher as I am not putting as much weight onto the fork through compressions which results in more confidence descending. Only hit a few drops on trail but bottom-out felt comparable to my X2 running max volume spacers, and this is with HBO at +1, could still ramp it up another setting. Definitely a smoother bottom-out that what my DHX2 Factory felt like on my previous trail and downhill bikes.

Can't wait to get more laps on this thing!

Posted: Dec 10, 2022 at 10:56 Quote
Anyone running 205x65 coil for 170mm rear travel but keeping the fork 160 in the hi setting? Does anything weird happen with this setup? Sorry havent done too much digging.

O+
Posted: Dec 10, 2022 at 11:41 Quote
mtbma wrote:
Anyone running 205x65 coil for 170mm rear travel but keeping the fork 160 in the hi setting? Does anything weird happen with this setup? Sorry havent done too much digging.

Yep, got a super deluxe coil on.
Nothing weirds happened - but I can’t recommend switching to coil enough!

O+
Posted: Dec 13, 2022 at 8:14 Quote
Hi All,
Anyone had any dealings or bought anything from starbike.com as they seem to have some good deals on the SD Ultimate coils at the moment?? cheap springs to.
Simon

Posted: Feb 22, 2023 at 10:22 Quote
mtbma wrote:
I'm running a 65mm DHX2 with the stock 160mm Z1 at the front, feeling wonderful. Depending on how you set it up, I run it with a 400# spring (18-19mm sag at the shock, about the same I was running with the 60mm Float X), so it's similar for pedaling and regular riding, but has a little extra travel before bottoming out on big hits or big compressions. And it's a DHX2 so I've played a bit with all the knobs, but the fox-recommended base settings were pretty close to ideal for me.

O+
Posted: Mar 4, 2023 at 5:56 Quote
Lando406 wrote:
sorryiamtheboss wrote:
I have the GX build and love it, very little I want to change about it. One thing I am pondering is the rear wheel engagement on the Stans Neo Durasync, I really notice it on the trails and would love a quicker engagement. I'm no expert so I could be wrong but it looks like I could swap out the freehub for a Stans Speedsync and halve the engagement from 10 degrees to 5 - all for about £100.

Does anyone feel the same as me? And would this (relatively) cheap upgrade be a better alternative to looking at a new rear wheel?

Yeah, the Stans hubs that come on the GX build suck. I know a handful of people who have killed that hub within a couple weeks. Your money is better spent on buying a higher quality hub.

Were you able to swap between the two? My durasync has died and I have a speedsync I could get but I'm unsure if they're interchangeable with one another.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011776
Mobile Version of Website