Single Ring All Mountain Set Ups...What works best?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Single Ring All Mountain Set Ups...What works best?
  • Next Page
Posted: May 3, 2011 at 13:05 Quote
i dont know, its too worn to have any recogniseable logos and at this point in time i cannot be arsed to count the teeth. i shall do so sometime in the near future.

Posted: Aug 6, 2011 at 12:52 Quote
Hi guys! i ride an Intense Tracer Vp and a Cannondale Prophet. I mainly ride red grade trails like, Cwmcarn Twrch Trail, Cannock Chase' Monkey trail, The Wall and Whites Trail at Glyncorrwg. would i be ok with a 32 or 34t single ring up front with a 9 speed rear cassett? wanna lop off some weght and keep it simple. i can ride Cwmcarn Twrch in middle cog fine without the need to touch the granny gear.

Posted: Aug 6, 2011 at 13:31 Quote
I ride a 1x9 on both my bikes, both with 36t chainring and 11-34t cassette. One is an XC race bike and the other is a 4x/AM hardtail and i find it perfect for my riding although it can be a little tough on some of the steeper XC climbs but you get used to it with careful power transfer etc. Anyway I really recommend it Smile Salute

Posted: Aug 6, 2011 at 15:56 Quote
Barnseyhcxc wrote:
I ride a 1x9 on both my bikes, both with 36t chainring and 11-34t cassette. One is an XC race bike and the other is a 4x/AM hardtail and i find it perfect for my riding although it can be a little tough on some of the steeper XC climbs but you get used to it with careful power transfer etc. Anyway I really recommend it Smile Salute

yeah i was thinking of going with 34t up front. i'm reasonably fit. but not sure if i'm fit enough for a 36t to be fair. :S

Posted: Aug 6, 2011 at 16:01 Quote
I can see what you mean but you don't want to run out of gears on the decents, that was my main worry.

Posted: Aug 6, 2011 at 16:22 Quote
i'm a bit lazy to be fair and like to coast down the decents and try to get a good flow (as soon as i run out of gearing of course) lol

Posted: Aug 6, 2011 at 17:34 Quote
On my next bike I'm thinking of doing this setup as well, right now I only really use my 34t ring anyways.

Posted: Aug 9, 2011 at 8:54 Quote
greendarthtater wrote:
On my next bike I'm thinking of doing this setup as well, right now I only really use my 34t ring anyways.

What kinda riding you do though? I mainly ride trail centres, and wondering if 34t will be fine for getting me up (without killing me) and down the trails? :S

Posted: Aug 9, 2011 at 9:04 Quote
34t is a good ring. You'll be able to push it anywhere with a 32t in the back, and if you really can't then get a 36t for the back.

Posted: Aug 9, 2011 at 9:53 Quote
notenufbikes wrote:
greendarthtater wrote:

What kinda riding you do though? I mainly ride trail centres, and wondering if 34t will be fine for getting me up (without killing me) and down the trails? :S
i ride 1x9 on my trance i use it for everything, it has a 34t up front and it does the job , the only problem i have had the frame has no tabs for a chain guide so i have to use a bb mount which is a pain in the bum to get right i have had to over space the bb to get it close to being right

Posted: Aug 9, 2011 at 16:07 Quote
max14221 wrote:
notenufbikes wrote:
greendarthtater wrote:

i ride 1x9 on my trance i use it for everything, it has a 34t up front and it does the job , the only problem i have had the frame has no tabs for a chain guide so i have to use a bb mount which is a pain in the bum to get right i have had to over space the bb to get it close to being right

i think i'm gonna go for 34t on either my Prophet or Tracer VP. i think my fitness should be good enough. i already have the Superstart chain guide and bb mount bash guard from my previous E-13 srs guide. so will give that set up a try soon-ish. Smile

Posted: Aug 9, 2011 at 17:09 Quote
notenufbikes wrote:
greendarthtater wrote:

I ride some pretty steep stuff. It's all really technical and rooty where I live, and the hills are steep enough that some people can't ride them on granny. The Downhills aren't big, but I can even ride roads in 8th gear.

Posted: Aug 10, 2011 at 0:49 Quote
greendarthtater wrote:
notenufbikes wrote:
greendarthtater wrote:

I ride some pretty steep stuff. It's all really technical and rooty where I live, and the hills are steep enough that some people can't ride them on granny. The Downhills aren't big, but I can even ride roads in 8th gear.

Sounds like you got some real big mountain terrain there Mr Greendarthtater. Since i mainly ride trail centres over here, there sculpted to the landscape and designed to be ridden by most people depending on the grade of the trail.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.021901
Mobile Version of Website