Pinkbike will be undergoing scheduled maintenance on May 29 at 9pm PST for up to 6 hours. We apologize for any inconvenience caused during this time.
Powered by Outside

General DH Discussion

PB Forum :: Downhill
General DH Discussion
O+
Posted: May 3, 2012 at 20:47 Quote
umm doesnt it just bolt directly to the crank? i dont think ive ever aligned my chainring

Posted: May 3, 2012 at 20:54 Quote
My chainring is aligned with my 6th gear. Honestly though, I wouldn't worry about it... 9/10spd chains have a pretty wide range of lateral movement so it's more or less a a non-issue.

Posted: May 3, 2012 at 20:56 Quote
Cmontjumper wrote:
umm doesnt it just bolt directly to the crank? i dont think ive ever aligned my chainring

yea it bolts right on the crank arm, but adding or removing spacers to the cranks move the ring inner or further out, that is what im referring to

Posted: May 3, 2012 at 21:02 Quote
downhiller900sl wrote:
iggys wrote:
I have 2 bb spacers on the driveside and I run my chainring on the inside tabs of my crankarm.

all right but, what im supposed to align the chainring with?
I think you're overthinking it... it's really not that hard on a single ring DH bike. Back in the day when some DH bikes had 73mm BB and 150mm rear ends it was a problem but now that everything is running an 83mm BB with a 150mm rear end you'd almost have to try to screw it up.

Posted: May 3, 2012 at 21:13 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
downhiller900sl wrote:
iggys wrote:
I have 2 bb spacers on the driveside and I run my chainring on the inside tabs of my crankarm.

all right but, what im supposed to align the chainring with?
I think you're overthinking it... it's really not that hard on a single ring DH bike. Back in the day when some DH bikes had 73mm BB and 150mm rear ends it was a problem but now that everything is running an 83mm BB with a 150mm rear end you'd almost have to try to screw it up.
ok, im asking because i have never built a bike from scratch, i always bought complete bikes that came built (im not saying that pre-built bikes have a correct chainline) but i never cared, now that im building mine, i dont want to mess up in anything Smile

Posted: May 16, 2012 at 21:35 Quote
right i think this needs discussion!
sram made 9 speed which was good then up to 10 speed which is alright but then monster specialized ran an awesome micro gearing 6 speed thing that would be awesome to have!
i hate my 10 speed that i upgraded to ghosts all the time and have the best cables etc and setup and maintained at the shop often

i think the market needs a 6 speed drivetrain just for dh and ds type usage, which will allow solid shifts each time, design of stronger chains not these skinny arsed 10sp ones,
less is more i think!Salute

Posted: May 16, 2012 at 22:20 Quote
goonrider wrote:
sram made 9 speed which was good then up to 10 speed which is alright but then monster specialized ran an awesome micro gearing 6 speed thing that would be awesome to have!
i hate my 10 speed that i upgraded to ghosts all the time and have the best cables etc and setup and maintained at the shop often

i think the market needs a 6 speed drivetrain just for dh and ds type usage, which will allow solid shifts each time, design of stronger chains not these skinny arsed 10sp ones,

I still like a good old fashion 9 speed system, haven't tried 10 speed though so can't really say, but I think 6 speed would be too little.

Posted: May 16, 2012 at 22:37 Quote
benthirlwell wrote:
goonrider wrote:

I still like a good old fashion 9 speed system, haven't tried 10 speed though so can't really say, but I think 6 speed would be too little.
i mean for a racing point of view, racing products for racers,
don't know about you but i have been racing dh for 6 years so far and i think there is a need for it at the high level we now are at for dh racing

Mod
Posted: May 17, 2012 at 9:56 Quote
goonrider wrote:

limit screw. spacers, if need be, back plate. there's literally nothing wrong with a skinny chain. They can make them stronger for sure, but that adds weight...

Posted: May 17, 2012 at 21:05 Quote
isaacds wrote:
goonrider wrote:

limit screw. spacers, if need be, back plate. there's literally nothing wrong with a skinny chain. They can make them stronger for sure, but that adds weight...

now that i went from a 38 to a 34 ring i think i will be going from 9V to 7V or 6V as im getting clearance and i dont use the highest gears often

O+
Posted: May 20, 2012 at 15:05 Quote
USPS lost my old frame.. no clue what to do now. anyone experience shipping problems before? i guess im out 1300 and a frame?

Posted: May 20, 2012 at 15:09 Quote
Cmontjumper wrote:
USPS lost my old frame.. no clue what to do now. anyone experience shipping problems before? i guess im out 1300 and a frame?

You didn't get insurance?

O+
Posted: May 20, 2012 at 15:43 Quote
J-Carmichael wrote:
Cmontjumper wrote:

i did, but its only 300 bucks. would have been rediculous to get it through customs if it was any higher. its going to chile

Posted: May 20, 2012 at 15:44 Quote
Cmontjumper wrote:
J-Carmichael wrote:
Cmontjumper wrote:

i did, but its only 300 bucks. would have been rediculous to get it through customs if it was any higher. its going to chile

wow man, that sucks...

O+
Posted: May 20, 2012 at 15:46 Quote
hopefully the shipping is just lagging... but 5 days past when it was supposed to arrive :/

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.018077
Mobile Version of Website