100 FOOT DROP!! SERIOUSLY!!

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
100 FOOT DROP!! SERIOUSLY!!
Posted: Oct 1, 2007 at 12:53 Quote
downthehill wrote:
this mans the shit rocks for brains and steel for balls

lmao wat???

Posted: Oct 1, 2007 at 12:54 Quote
If the landing is ligitamitly "perfect" the angle the smoothness the condition of the dirt if it's to hard or soft. Those all have a play and If the landing is "Perfect" I would say it's possible. They probably even had a physics geek work it out to see if it's possible

Posted: Oct 1, 2007 at 12:54 Quote
id rather see steve romaniuk do it then bender. steve would prob actually land it too.

Posted: Oct 1, 2007 at 12:55 Quote
Look, I've always been a fan of bender. He's one of the reasons I got into the sport. Him and Randy Spangler and those guys. Anyway, the only thing worse than actually attempting to land 100 footer, is saying it and not doing it. I mean I respect the guy, and I honestly think 100 is not even possible or smart, or safe, but if hes just talkign and then never does it, then thats just lame. I mean I keep hearing about it, but now I see people quoting him on saying it so I guess its serious.

If it is, I hope its something that is strangely huckable and has this perfect landing, and that he either pulls it off or walks out without any serious injuries.

I respect the guy, he has done tons for the sport. He does not need to go that far, at least not that fast. I mean I would have thought people would have to huck 50, 60, 80 and land, before an 100 ft attempt, but oh well.

Good luck Bender

Posted: Oct 1, 2007 at 12:57 Quote
He blatently wants to die. Confused

Posted: Oct 1, 2007 at 13:03 Quote
so much misinformed info in this thread.
josh bender is a trailblazer in mountainbiking, without him we would be years behind.
josh does not ride for karpiel anymore hes on a ellsworth now
the 100 footer, if true is completly possible, the jaw drop was just not a good landing.

Posted: Oct 1, 2007 at 13:04 Quote
He might have made that drop...Whatever..dude really has some suicidal balls...Madder

Posted: Oct 1, 2007 at 13:05 Quote
I think it's lame romaniuk signed with mongoose wtf?

Posted: Oct 1, 2007 at 13:05 Quote
brad-maxwell wrote:
josh bender is a trailblazer in mountainbiking, without him we would be years behind.
the 100 footer, if true is completly possible, the jaw drop was just not a good landing.

how is there misinformed info in this thread ?

Posted: Oct 1, 2007 at 13:07 Quote
last year i almost killed myself on a 7 meters gap and thought that i wouldn't be able to ride hard again.. something similar happened to bender on his 35 foot gap last year too..

the difference between bender and me(apart from the difference of how big the gaps are) is that i'm still riding hard but with respect, bender has no respect to nothing! hope he can attempt that drop and tell a good story!

Posted: Oct 1, 2007 at 13:09 Quote
I am wondering at what point he reaches terminal velocity as if he can land a bike once reaching terminal velocity then skies the limit for the size of drop.

If any geekier people than me wish to work it out then use Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/6/e/3/6e306f943fc864e7ee41a1b3a7f16172.png
Another thing to remember is that people have fallen from thousands of feet up and survived due the gradient of the slope they hit:

[Quoten]I.M. Chisov
Lt. I.M. Chisov was a Russian airman whose Ilyushin IL-4 bomber was attacked by German fighters in January of 1942. Falling nearly 22,000 feet, he hit the edge of a snow-covered ravine and rolled to the bottom. He was badly hurt but survived.

Alan Magee
Alan Magee, a gunner on a B-17 with the 303rd Bomb Group of the U.S. 8th Air Force, was on a mission to St. Nazaire, France in January of 1943, when his bomber was set aflame by enemy fire. He was thrown from the plane before he had a chance to put on his parachute. He fell 20,000 feet and crashed onto* the skylight of the St. Nazaire train station. His arm was badly injured, but he recovered from that and other injuries.
*At first the descriptions of the incident made it appear that he had fallen through the skylight but it appears now that he hit the angled skylight and landed on the roof of the train station. We continue to investigate.

Nicholas Alkemade
In March of 1944, Nicholas Alkemade was the tail gunner in a British Lancaster bomber on a night mission to Berlin when his plane was attacked by German fighters. When the captain ordered the crew to bail out, Alkemade looked back into the plane and discovered that his parachute was in flames. He chose to jump without a parachute rather than to stay in the burning plane. He fell 18,000 feet, landing in trees, underbrush, and drifted snow. He twisted his knee and had some cuts, but was otherwise alright.[/Quoten]

So go for it Bender you nutter and have fun trying Smile

Posted: Oct 1, 2007 at 13:10 Quote
freer1ders wrote:
I am wondering at what point he reaches terminal velocity as if he can land a bike once reaching terminal velocity then skies the limit for the size of drop.

If any geekier people than me wish to work it out then use Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/6/e/3/6e306f943fc864e7ee41a1b3a7f16172.png
Another thing to remember is that people have fallen from thousands of feet up and survived due the gradient of the slope they hit:

[Quoten]I.M. Chisov
Lt. I.M. Chisov was a Russian airman whose Ilyushin IL-4 bomber was attacked by German fighters in January of 1942. Falling nearly 22,000 feet, he hit the edge of a snow-covered ravine and rolled to the bottom. He was badly hurt but survived.

Alan Magee
Alan Magee, a gunner on a B-17 with the 303rd Bomb Group of the U.S. 8th Air Force, was on a mission to St. Nazaire, France in January of 1943, when his bomber was set aflame by enemy fire. He was thrown from the plane before he had a chance to put on his parachute. He fell 20,000 feet and crashed onto* the skylight of the St. Nazaire train station. His arm was badly injured, but he recovered from that and other injuries.
*At first the descriptions of the incident made it appear that he had fallen through the skylight but it appears now that he hit the angled skylight and landed on the roof of the train station. We continue to investigate.

Nicholas Alkemade
In March of 1944, Nicholas Alkemade was the tail gunner in a British Lancaster bomber on a night mission to Berlin when his plane was attacked by German fighters. When the captain ordered the crew to bail out, Alkemade looked back into the plane and discovered that his parachute was in flames. He chose to jump without a parachute rather than to stay in the burning plane. He fell 18,000 feet, landing in trees, underbrush, and drifted snow. He twisted his knee and had some cuts, but was otherwise alright.[/Quoten]

So go for it Bender you nutter and have fun trying Smile

yeah but how do you know he has the right slope for the drop??

Posted: Oct 1, 2007 at 13:10 Quote
bender pioneered the red bull rampage - so you owe him basically for crankworx, slopestyle and all the other large shit that people do.
so all you haters stop being losers saying 'oh he cant ride blah blah' HES OLD SCHOOL!

now back to the 100ft drop! i hope that he does it and walks away!!

i hate to see the man go down what with all the crashes he's already sustained.

Posted: Oct 1, 2007 at 13:11 Quote
I was always told that when free falling an object reaches terminal velocity after 30 feet of dropping

Posted: Oct 1, 2007 at 13:11 Quote
foxmtbing wrote:
brad-maxwell wrote:
how is there misinformed info in this thread ?
oh its there go look for it.

ex the guy who said he rides for karpiel

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.018224
Mobile Version of Website