Powered by Outside

Tyres tyres tires tyres tyres

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Tyres tyres tires tyres tyres
Posted: Mar 29, 2015 at 2:19 Quote
panaphonic wrote:
I wouldn't call the magic Mary trailstar great on wet roots. Highroller2 is a great allround hardcore option. Charge for dry and or rocky but bewarned it does have a wicked grip gap.. Magic Mary works best in any soft conditions. The Butcher control is a good allrounder and very predictable but doesn't quite have the edge grip of the others and is smaller than a 2.4 ardent.

In my experience the HD trailstar is the best for slimy rocks and roots and that was on a 29er but I'm told that it's not good for sticky mud. We don't get sticky mud here so that's probably why I thought it was a great winter option.

Since you are looking to progress your skills I would think it best you get a tire that is very predictable rather than looking for the most aggressive option. Not knowing your speed or specific local conditions it's hard to know what would work best.
I'm not that fast at descending, around average, so I'm looking for a confidence booster. The trails in Ireland are usually wet and slippery, and in races the trails are frequently churned into a thick mud. I was considering a HD, but mud needs to be quickly shed on my local trails.

Posted: Mar 29, 2015 at 13:24 Quote
NotDannyHart wrote:
panaphonic wrote:
I wouldn't call the magic Mary trailstar great on wet roots. Highroller2 is a great allround hardcore option. Charge for dry and or rocky but bewarned it does have a wicked grip gap.. Magic Mary works best in any soft conditions. The Butcher control is a good allrounder and very predictable but doesn't quite have the edge grip of the others and is smaller than a 2.4 ardent.

In my experience the HD trailstar is the best for slimy rocks and roots and that was on a 29er but I'm told that it's not good for sticky mud. We don't get sticky mud here so that's probably why I thought it was a great winter option.

Since you are looking to progress your skills I would think it best you get a tire that is very predictable rather than looking for the most aggressive option. Not knowing your speed or specific local conditions it's hard to know what would work best.
I'm not that fast at descending, around average, so I'm looking for a confidence booster. The trails in Ireland are usually wet and slippery, and in races the trails are frequently churned into a thick mud. I was considering a HD, but mud needs to be quickly shed on my local trails.
Your budget may not support this, but if I was racing, I'd have two or more different tires on hand to suit different conditions. If you can get Schwalbes for a decent price (say $50US), it would be worth having a MM and HD front, but around here they're $100cdn, so I can get two Specialized tires for the price of one Schwalbe. Yes they are cheap on the German websites but shipping does add to my cost.

Posted: Mar 29, 2015 at 13:37 Quote
I've an Ardent 2.4 I can use for really dry days, but I doubt I'll use it often. I'd also be running tubeless, so swapping tyres would mean on the night before the race at home. Or I could use tubes...

Posted: Mar 29, 2015 at 16:07 Quote
If you can stand the 1200gram weight and fine Intense Spikes in 2.25" flavour- they glue to everything and are a really really aggressive mud tyre.

I happen to have a mint set for sale if anyone is interested...?

Posted: Mar 29, 2015 at 16:09 Quote
Ooops I missed the 29" part of info!

;(

26" is not dead you hear me! ;-d

Posted: Mar 30, 2015 at 11:37 Quote
NotDannyHart wrote:
I've an Ardent 2.4 I can use for really dry days, but I doubt I'll use it often. I'd also be running tubeless, so swapping tyres would mean on the night before the race at home. Or I could use tubes...
Yeah, tubeless with sealant makes tire changes more difficult, but if you have a "all round" tire mounted, and on race day it pisses rain, like you said you could just mount up your mud tire with a tube.

What's the Specialized Butcher priced like in your area? Around here it's cheaper than any of the others on your list.

Posted: Mar 30, 2015 at 11:51 Quote
brianl wrote:
NotDannyHart wrote:
Yeah, tubeless with sealant makes tire changes more difficult, but if you have a "all round" tire mounted, and on race day it pisses rain, like you said you could just mount up your mud tire with a tube.

What's the Specialized Butcher priced like in your area? Around here it's cheaper than any of the others on your list.

I don't really understand the idea that tubeless tires take longer to change. I'm definitely faster with tubeless than with tubes.

Posted: Mar 30, 2015 at 14:32 Quote
panaphonic wrote:
brianl wrote:
NotDannyHart wrote:

I don't really understand the idea that tubeless tires take longer to change. I'm definitely faster with tubeless than with tubes.
My first time removing a tubeless specific tyre took me 2 hours Redface

Posted: Mar 30, 2015 at 14:40 Quote
Are mud tyres supposed to be really skinny so they can slice in the mud? Like 2.0" skinny?

Posted: Mar 30, 2015 at 14:52 Quote
NotDannyHart wrote:
Are mud tyres supposed to be really skinny so they can slice in the mud? Like 2.0" skinny?

yes to try and dig in, as opposed to floating and sliding around on top

Posted: Mar 30, 2015 at 16:33 Quote
Alrighty so if I put Onza Ibex/High Roller 2 up front 2.4 Ardent rear for my damp everyday riding, and then on a pissing rain day put the Onza Ibex/High Roller 2 on the back and a 2.0 Dirty Dan or something up front. Is this a good combo?

Posted: Mar 30, 2015 at 16:49 Quote
NotDannyHart wrote:
Alrighty so if I put Onza Ibex/High Roller 2 up front 2.4 Ardent rear for my damp everyday riding, and then on a pissing rain day put the Onza Ibex/High Roller 2 on the back and a 2.0 Dirty Dan or something up front. Is this a good combo?

Just buy 2 specialized purgatory or a vigilante and high roller.

Posted: Mar 31, 2015 at 12:41 Quote
panaphonic wrote:
brianl wrote:
NotDannyHart wrote:

Notice I said "tubeless with sealant". I wish UST tires were still available since I hardly ever get punctures but most "tubeless" tires nowadays are "tubeless ready" and need sealant.

Posted: Mar 31, 2015 at 13:26 Quote
brianl wrote:
panaphonic wrote:
brianl wrote:

Notice I said "tubeless with sealant". I wish UST tires were still available since I hardly ever get punctures but most "tubeless" tires nowadays are "tubeless ready" and need sealant.

Yeah I use sealant and tubeless ready too. When swapping tyres I scoop it out of the old tyre and put it in the new tyre and then top it up with new Stan's if needed. I'm twice as fast not having to worry about the tube or unscrew the valve.

Posted: Apr 1, 2015 at 11:39 Quote
panaphonic wrote:
brianl wrote:
panaphonic wrote:

Yeah I use sealant and tubeless ready too. When swapping tyres I scoop it out of the old tyre and put it in the new tyre and then top it up with new Stan's if needed. I'm twice as fast not having to worry about the tube or unscrew the valve.
I just started tubeless last Fall so I've been dreading tire changes, nice to know it's not a big deal.
I'm using Orange Seal and it stayed liquid through the Winter, so I don't have Stan's Snot to deal with.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.018678
Mobile Version of Website