"slopestyle" Good Or Bad

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
"slopestyle" Good Or Bad
O+
Posted: Feb 6, 2008 at 9:51 Quote
skid wrote:
I personally am really bored of it. Endless tricks to me all look the same after a while. In a way it scares me because when something get popular it always get ruined in some way usually due to money. luckily. it doesn't matter to much because no matter how many people "slopestyle" kids are around they won't get in my way while I'm deep in the woods blasting around in the rocks and trees. but that just my opinion. to each his own. or her own.

i agree slopestyle is really repetitive its its all the same tricks but in different combinations like i give cerdit to the people that can backflip superman and tail 360. but like you said nothing beats flying through narrow spaced trees and riding hand built trails like in the north shore region. the sport has deffinatly been publicized alot but if slopestyle is what a rider wants to do then let them thats there choice.

O+
Posted: Feb 6, 2008 at 10:02 Quote
I love to watch slopestyle, but I respect DH racers, and love big mountain epicness. Its all good, in all its different diciples, but I hate that DH racing and classic steeps and drops are being overlooked. Also all the technical shore stuff we do here....I know a lot of the slopestylers that can't ride the shore. It just seems strange that they dirtjump all day but don't also head to the mountains....

Posted: Feb 6, 2008 at 10:24 Quote
To make a long answer short, slopestyle is to this generation of riders what freeriding was to the previous generation. The only real difference is that slopestyle is not as accessible to everyone, so I wouldn't be to concerned about it having too much long lasting effect on the sport as a whole.

Posted: Feb 6, 2008 at 10:50 Quote
ezekiel82 wrote:
To make a long answer short, slopestyle is to this generation of riders what freeriding was to the previous generation. The only real difference is that slopestyle is not as accessible to everyone, so I wouldn't be to concerned about it having too much long lasting effect on the sport as a whole.

Indeed!

To my eyes, slopestyle is more of a mediatic event. More or less what the Rampage was to freeride back in the day. Although we didn't end up with hundred of kids wanting ''rampage'' bikes.

10 years ago I was a grom working in a bike shop. I saw the freeride trend grow and the bikes they were marketing then are the same they are marketing now. Other than the sur-abondance of white parts...

Posted: Feb 6, 2008 at 13:51 Quote
minerva554 wrote:
andyjacko123 wrote:
tbh i think slopestyle is nothing. its just dirt jumping on a bigger scale. i think slopestyle was created by bike companys to get more money for 'slopestyle' bikes

That is just ignorant. I agree that it is dirt jumping on a bigger scale for the most part these days, but it is the evolution of the riders that have brought it to this point and the bike companies are just adapting to the riders needs/wants.

Yea and its not like making SS bikes are bringing in a shit-ton more income for the bike companies.

Posted: Feb 6, 2008 at 15:49 Quote
Ericbikesalot wrote:
minerva554 wrote:
andyjacko123 wrote:
tbh i think slopestyle is nothing. its just dirt jumping on a bigger scale. i think slopestyle was created by bike companys to get more money for 'slopestyle' bikes

That is just ignorant. I agree that it is dirt jumping on a bigger scale for the most part these days, but it is the evolution of the riders that have brought it to this point and the bike companies are just adapting to the riders needs/wants.

Yea and its not like making SS bikes are bringing in a shit-ton more income for the bike companies.

I firmly believe manufacturers are creating the demand. It is not like riders interested in doing Slopestyle don't already have a wide array of parts to choose from without needing the word ''slopestyle'' stamped on them...

The oldest of us will remember the Cannondale/freeride saga.

Like I said before, go back 10 years and I bet I can find 100 parts to build a dozen bikes that would be more than competitive on today's slopestyle courses.

Posted: Feb 14, 2008 at 12:44 Quote
There's lots of trendy/fashionable new companies starting up that make 'slopesyle' bikes (think - Transition bikes) that all the kids want, kiddies are always dumn enough to follow these trends and don't have the responsibilities (work/family e.t.c.) that adults do and so therefore can go risking their limbs doing big-ass stunts everyday.

Slopestyle is more of an age related trend that appeals to younguns (as stated earlier by 'nishnash') and as a result you have a lot of kids with overpriced single speed fs rigs that will be 'out-of-date' in bike fashion terms within a year or two - Lots of kids only ride for a few years now and then move on to partying and binge drinking, the mfr's are latching onto this and making quick-sell trendy looking bikes, as long as true mtb'ers don't let it bother them, we can only benefit from the flow of money into the industry.

Posted: Feb 14, 2008 at 12:46 Quote
it draws large crowds and gets more people intrested in mountain biking so its good

Posted: Feb 14, 2008 at 12:49 Quote
I don't really understand why commercialization is bad for the sport...

Posted: Feb 14, 2008 at 12:53 Quote
If you want the sport to grow, you have to get it out there get some media so it's good. Look 20 yrs. ago with skateboarding, it was small and then contests started and now its massive. Hopefully one day freeride mountain biking will take its place.

Posted: Feb 14, 2008 at 12:54 Quote
Exactly. Freeriding is still a pretty young sport, and it's got loads of time to evolve.

Posted: Jul 6, 2008 at 15:33 Quote
i think its a trend that kids think oh look i could do a 360 drop if i had that bike for example 2 years ago when i got my bike i read all the mags and saw advertiz mants for crank worx so i got a 7.3 now im converting it to a dh bike because i now realize im not going to 360 road gaps (nwd Cool and i thought i wanted to be a pro slope style rider and now i realize what it takes to be pro is insane and its not worth the injuries and the low income and the ceas of the in come after about 40
i also think that its a great way to get moeny into the companys so they can desine better bikes for the normall rider but i also completley respect slope style riders i just dont think its the progression of the sport for every one
sorry for the rant hope fully its understandible

Posted: Jul 6, 2008 at 18:24 Quote
Slopestyle is what all people(even people that dont bike) want to watch and it helps them discover more about mountain biking

FL
Posted: Jul 6, 2008 at 18:35 Quote
sayin slopestyle is "bad" or "stupid" is ignorant. dirt jumpers could say the same about dh racing. they are different diciplins. differnt concepts. dirt jumpers have slopestyle to show their skill, and dhers have dh races. and i think they put "slopestyle bikes" in a new category, cuz ppl sure wouldnt wanna do stuff that big on hard tails, so they added a small back shock. slopestyle is sweet imo, and so is dh racing. but everyone can be entitled to their own opinions on what type f riding tey like, but dont hate on the other types then. thats my 2 cents

Posted: Jul 6, 2008 at 18:51 Quote
konastuff06rider wrote:
sayin slopestyle is "bad" or "stupid" is ignorant. dirt jumpers could say the same about dh racing. they are different diciplins. differnt concepts. dirt jumpers have slopestyle to show their skill, and dhers have dh races. and i think they put "slopestyle bikes" in a new category, cuz ppl sure wouldnt wanna do stuff that big on hard tails, so they added a small back shock. slopestyle is sweet imo, and so is dh racing. but everyone can be entitled to their own opinions on what type f riding tey like, but dont hate on the other types then. thats my 2 cents

Thank you for not being a complete and total fuuk head like most of the people on this forumn. ^^^

Good god, quit bitching about how you think slopestyle is a trend, as long as the people are on their bikes and having fun shut the heck up. Go ride your downhill trails and have fun, I like slopestyle, and have fun on it cause i am on my bike, and yes i know this might sound suprising to you slopestyle nazi's but i like to ride trails to. Its not like people who ride sloepstyle hate trails, i'm sure half of them if not more enjoy riding trails just like the rest of you. If you are real bikers you would understand that just being on your bike is a good time so quit complaining about where these people ride their bikes.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.210440
Mobile Version of Website