YT Jeffsy 29 FAQ

PB Forum :: YT Industries
YT Jeffsy 29 FAQ
O+
Posted: Aug 22, 2018 at 9:33 Quote
Rance wrote:
Finally got my hand (broken wrist unfortunately) on my Al Comp. As I will have some time before I can ride, I thought I might as well proactively sought out some of the common issues reported.

I want to add to the grease in the frame link bearings. I don't want to risk damaging my bike, so do I need to get hold of a press tool like that in the link (along with relevant bearing attachments) or is there an alternative?

I've never done frame linkages myself before, but want to start now. Looking at the exploded diagram, I'm guessing I will need three different bearing size push adaptors????

http://www.rapidracerproducts.com/products/tools/bpet.html

But if you have to pull them.... https://www.ebay.com/itm/132506645354

Posted: Aug 22, 2018 at 9:46 Quote
As ever, you guys are awesome. Thanks for this. Have also just had the latest x-rays and the cast is off so should hopefully be riding soon!

Posted: Aug 26, 2018 at 1:23 Quote
[Quote=

No need to pop the bearings out. Use a dental pick to remove the bearing seals and pack with grease.[/Quote]

when you remove the bearing seals, do you clean out the old grease before adding new grease? if so, what solvent do you recommend,?

O+
Posted: Sep 6, 2018 at 15:35 Quote
can we add BB options added to the list?

FL
Posted: Sep 7, 2018 at 7:48 Quote
mijaresfrank wrote:
[Quote=

No need to pop the bearings out. Use a dental pick to remove the bearing seals and pack with grease.

when you remove the bearing seals, do you clean out the old grease before adding new grease? if so, what solvent do you recommend,?[/Quote]

No I just packed it with fresh grease.

Posted: Sep 7, 2018 at 17:25 Quote
alexdesignz wrote:

Hope PF41 fits. Was there much info in the main thread about others that also work?

O+
Posted: Sep 7, 2018 at 17:48 Quote
gbeaks33 wrote:
alexdesignz wrote:

Hope PF41 fits. Was there much info in the main thread about others that also work?

Thanks, but would be great as a list in the faq

Posted: Sep 12, 2018 at 11:07 Quote
alexdesignz wrote:
gbeaks33 wrote:
alexdesignz wrote:

Thanks, but would be great as a list in the faq

Fair enough. Added to the list.

O+
Posted: Sep 13, 2018 at 13:30 Quote
Can we add this fix I posted in the first 29 thread regarding the lower pivot creak/popping. Ive seen it fix a handful of bikes now.

bigquotesThis is a post I made another place regarding the creak/noise coming from down low/BB area. Before running out and dropping $$$ on a new BB/Crank setup check this out.

Dug deeper into my 2018 Jeffsy 29 CF Pro Race today, was sort of pissed at this mysterious creak and pop Ive had from my bike outa the box on the first ride couple weeks ago.

-Confirmed noise with 2 different riders in my driveway via some tests. Hops, braking, suspension loading etc.

-Also confirmed it with off the bike tests just bouncing on seat, no pressure on crank, and even removed the seat at one point...replicated noise.

-Noise was centered at bottom of bike, main pivot area. MISTAKE FOR BOTTOM BRACKET from Day 1.

FIX = pulled crank arm then accessed lower 8mm swingarm bolt/axle and found it was bone dry everywhere (this is a non bearing pivot btw just a thru-axle). I will add the upper swing arm bolt is a bearing type after inspection. I Cleaned, lubed (syn grease) all mating surfaces on the arm, the axle itself, and inner area inside the arm including the non sprocket side tab. Globbed some synthetic waterproof grease on ziptie and fed it in, and spread it around. Re-Installed axle again, and Re-torqued to 20nm.

Zero noise, performed same tests, same riders, etc. I could of swore this was a Bottom Bracket issue, and I was wrong

Posted: Oct 3, 2018 at 19:16 Quote
Added this awesome list from zsandstorm to the front page.

bigquotesFree (ish)
1----Remove the orange tags from your spokes (jeez, man)
2----Remove most, if not all, of the volume spacers from your shock.
2a--While you're in there, put a fresh coat of suspension grease on sliding surfaces
3----Stick a zip tie in between the fork stanchion and the seal, and drip some fork oil in there
3a--Rockshox forks are notoriously underlubricated when new, so you might consider a complete fork service
4----Tubeless (cost of Stan's and tape)

Upgrades under $150/each

5----Frame protection tape (Depending on the kind, between USD$30 and USD$150)
6----DebonAir air spring upgrade for your fork (USD$40)
7----Grips that have literally any degree of comfort (USD$30)
8----Workable water bottle system (see Jeffsy 29 FAQ page) (USD$50 or less)
9----Change brake pads to CL (USD$20 per wheel)
10---Better Tires (USD$100)
11--XTR Shifter (USD$80)
12--XTR Rear Derailleur ($135)

Major Upgrades

13---Rear Shock. Personally, I'd suggest either a coil or a DVO Topaz. (USD$400+)
14---Custom wheelset (USD$750+)
15---Carbon cranks (USD$350).......but why?
16---Carbon handlebar (USD$150)........also why?

Posted: Oct 5, 2018 at 11:53 Quote
Out of interest, from a racing point of view (Enduro-ey and weird long distance XC races which are mostly descents and flats with some very technical bits), what would you recommend prioritising upgrading on the Al Comp: wheels or shock/fork?

Posted: Oct 5, 2018 at 12:37 Quote
Rance wrote:
Out of interest, from a racing point of view (Enduro-ey and weird long distance XC races which are mostly descents and flats with some very technical bits), what would you recommend prioritising upgrading on the Al Comp: wheels or shock/fork?

For me it was the wheels. But they were 22mm ID dt Swiss m1700s back then. They're more useful 30mm id now, I think. Wheels take a beating on enduro race environments. Suspension is important, of course, but for me I struggle to find a benefit of the really high end suspension bits compared to the middle tiered stuff.

Posted: Oct 6, 2018 at 0:23 Quote
Rance wrote:

For me it is wheels, every bike I have managed to either buy a set of carbon hoops for or switch over from another bike has improved the ride immensely. If you can't go to carbon the Dt XM1501 are light, strong and the hub bearings will last for a while even after a season of slop.

Posted: Oct 6, 2018 at 16:09 Quote
Hello,great to find this resource and would appreciate some advice and/or information on replacing my rear shock on my 2018 Al comp Jeffsy. I'm finding hard to figure out where to get the correct hardware to fit another shock. Do other manufacturers shocks fit with the stock hardware? Cane creek does not list the front 17.4 mm spacers as a option.DVO, Fox et al makes it hard to figure out what I would need!

Posted: Oct 8, 2018 at 3:29 Quote
Of that upgrade list, what are the CL brake pads?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.020507
Mobile Version of Website