Powered by Outside

Newest Tallboy vs. last gen ?

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
Newest Tallboy vs. last gen ?
O+
Posted: Jun 28, 2020 at 10:43 Quote
Jrflurry wrote:
It’s a completely different bike. To me it’s actually a little odd they even call it a “Tallboy” it’s so different. I’m in no way saying it’s bad it just seems to be built for more aggressive trail riding. I beefed up my TB3 with a 140mm fork and a DPX2 shock to get a little more rowdy and it still pales in comparison to the new TB4.
Personally, where I’m located in Michigan, the TB3 is a better fit as we are pretty flat around here. The TB3 pedals a bit better for XC(ish) stuff. Also, I like the ability to quickly swap the 27.5+ to 29er depending on my plans. Now if I lived somewhere with bigger hits, drops, or DH I’d pick up the new TB4 frame in a heartbeat.

Can you shed light on what size DPX2 you got to work on your TB3? I'd like to do the same but am unable to get any first hand info.

Thanks!

Posted: Jul 14, 2020 at 6:05 Quote
gmoss wrote:
Anyone spent any time on the new TB yet? I am curious how it compares to the previous generation.

So I have yet to ride the TB but rode most of its competitors. At first I rode them like an XC bike and I hated it. Then I began to relax a little and ride them like the geometry wants you to. I sat up more on climbs and let the bike lead on the DH. I actually just ordered a TB4 so when I get it I will write back.

Posted: Jul 17, 2020 at 15:47 Quote
Sorry this is the main tallboy form I could find. I just picked mine up 2 days ago in ebony. My shop said they can do tire swaps for free. Any recommendations for the tallboy? I live in Phoenix and ride a lot of different stuff.

Posted: Jul 18, 2020 at 19:35 Quote
ryan-az wrote:
Sorry this is the main tallboy form I could find. I just picked mine up 2 days ago in ebony. My shop said they can do tire swaps for free. Any recommendations for the tallboy? I live in Phoenix and ride a lot of different stuff.

Can you post some pics? About to pull the trigger on ebony (now called glossy black) and want to see how it looks first. Thank you

Posted: Jul 18, 2020 at 21:42 Quote
Yeah I can. Mine comes in in a bout a week. Did they change the name?

Posted: Jul 18, 2020 at 21:59 Quote
Thanks. Yeah, I guess they thought it would be better to steer away from the ebony name to be more PC.

I found that they offered the V10 in Gloss Black a few years ago but not sure if the Tallboy will be the same. Really interested to see how much brown is in it in real life.

Hope you get yours soon. I would be ordering a frame only so no telling how long that is going to take.

O+
Posted: Jul 18, 2020 at 22:14 Quote
z71silverado78 wrote:
Thanks. Yeah, I guess they thought it would be better to steer away from the ebony name to be more PC.

I found that they offered the V10 in Gloss Black a few years ago but not sure if the Tallboy will be the same. Really interested to see how much brown is in it in real life.

Hope you get yours soon. I would be ordering a frame only so no telling how long that is going to take.

Frame only is going to take 2 months at least. Just order a complete...

Posted: Jul 18, 2020 at 23:18 Quote
I hope you get yours soon as well. I’m super excited to get mine and rip some trails.

Posted: Jul 19, 2020 at 10:36 Quote
z71silverado78 wrote:
ryan-az wrote:

Can you post some pics? About to pull the trigger on ebony (now called glossy black) and want to see how it looks first. Thank you

I can't believe they made that chicken sheet change. Nothing at all wrong with ebony as a color name. Good grief.

Posted: Jul 19, 2020 at 13:35 Quote
I totally agree. It’s literally just a name of a color.

O+
Posted: Jul 20, 2020 at 22:53 Quote
z71silverado78 wrote:
ryan-az wrote:

photo

O+
Posted: Jul 20, 2020 at 22:59 Quote
Talking to bike shops, the ebony/black ones seem harder to get. Depends on the build kit you want as well.

Posted: Jul 20, 2020 at 23:14 Quote
Thank you! Now I can stop refreshing these forum pages every hour. Even an outside pic - perfect. I am ordering mine in ebony/black tomorrow.

O+
Posted: Jul 20, 2020 at 23:30 Quote
z71silverado78 wrote:
Thank you! Now I can stop refreshing these forum pages every hour. Even an outside pic - perfect. I am ordering mine in ebony/black tomorrow.

Here's one more for the road:

photo

Posted: Jul 21, 2020 at 5:00 Quote
Need a good close up in the sun. Haha

Thanks for the pics.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.035408
Mobile Version of Website