PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
terrible bike shop experience, spent 200 dollars for nothing
  • Next Page
Posted: May 17, 2020 at 20:25 Quote
friendlyfoe wrote:
nsandstrom wrote:
They did give an estimate
https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=220175&pagenum=1

I see that a star ratchet is mentioned. is the hub a DT Swiss 240 or 350?
Mine makes that kind of sound as well, even newly serviced.

HAHA so he was told that they couldn't confirm if it was a linkage or BB creak and couldn't replicate it. He had them replace the BB anyway and wherever this squeak is coming from didn't go away. He also got a total list of all the parts they saw as needing replaced with a quote for labour, and then they went ahead with the work.

It's really hard to be nice about this. OP sounds pretty unreasonable.
im not mad about the creak, im mad about back wheel

Posted: May 17, 2020 at 20:37 Quote
just to clarify, i know it is my problem that the creaking is not fixed. i am not pleased because the shop never told me that the rear wheel is unfixable and that i should replace it. When they looked at the bike and send me their original 500 dollar work order, there is not any part that said i am replacing a rear wheel but there are other parts that still work fine that are being replaced.

after seeing that, i said i dont want the extra things and only want to fix my wheel and my bb because even if fixing the bb does not fix the creaking, it is still nessesary since they told me its pretty f*cked up.

they aggreed on that and told me that they will do a hub service with wheel truing included and bb swap.

since they never told me to replace my hubs, i have a feeling that they can fix my wheel, but after that i was dissapointed because the rear hub still sounds like ZZzzzzZZzzz and the rim is stil not strait.

Posted: May 17, 2020 at 20:42 Quote
Reaperactual wrote:
Exactly this. I knew nothing about bikes when I got my first one in 2015. Life have given me severe trust issues so I made up my mind from the start, to do all work by myself. Suspension service had me spooked out a bit, but after the first time I realised how easy it was. Now I wouldn't even think about leaving my bike to someone else.

My bb developed play. I removed cranks with crank puller, removed the bb with a bb removal tool and put it back together in about half an hour. Cost £12.

My headset kept coming loose so I used a screwdriver and hammer to carefully remove the cups, used a length of threaded bar, two nuts/washers to press in new bearing cups put back together. Cost £16 and took 1 hour and 40 minutes.

I needed new cartridge bearings in my front hub. I removed old bearings with a bearing puller, replaced with drifts and previous threaded bar and nuts/washers took 25 minutes. Cost £10.
i wish i was as smart as you, after posting i looked at amazon for tools and their price turned out to be way lower than what i expected. i feel like fixing the bike myself will save a lot of money over time

Posted: May 17, 2020 at 20:45 Quote
friendlyfoe wrote:
nsandstrom wrote:

HAHA so he was told that they couldn't confirm if it was a linkage or BB creak and couldn't replicate it. He had them replace the BB anyway and wherever this squeak is coming from didn't go away. He also got a total list of all the parts they saw as needing replaced with a quote for labour, and then they went ahead with the work.

at the end i mentioned that i was not pleased because of the rear wheel, not the creaking sound

Posted: May 17, 2020 at 20:50 Quote
HaggeredShins wrote:
Jolldizzle wrote:
I’ll say it since no one has yet, you are what bike shops call a nightmare. It’s sounds like you came in with your clapd out bike due to your lack of maintenance on it and are frustrated that a bunch of warlocks don’t work in the back performing miracles.

Didn't want to say it as bluntly but yes, this is what I wanted to write at first.

Moving along with the bluntness, OP if you're still reading this thread, do note that no mechanic on earth will do favors for a customer who's an ass. Please do read between the lines here.

Now none of us have any way to know how you actually approached the situation, but judging by your need for three separate threads to address your upset along with your general demonstration of knowledge (or lack of) about working on bikes, it isn't unreasonable to make assumptions that the shop didn't enjoy working with you any more than you them.
can you please tell me what i was doing wrong? the reason i asked to fix the leas amount as possible is because i am a student and cannot afford servicing the whole thing. after spending all the money i have ln fixing the bike, the rear wheel was still bent and hubs still does not sound right, that is why i am not happy

O+
Posted: May 17, 2020 at 21:00 Quote
danielchen wrote:
friendlyfoe wrote:
nsandstrom wrote:

at the end i mentioned that i was not pleased because of the rear wheel, not the creaking sound

Yup, I'd be pissed off too.

Talking about other bike shop crap. I remember the time my wife and I went in looking for a new bike for her. She was looking for a light weight med travel bike. They didn't have one so they started trying to sell her long travel bikes (which she already owns). Then they changed their sales tactic and suggested that she should try getting in better shape. The guy went on to extol the virtues of his own fitness and how he is on a heavier bike than all his riding pals, yet rides at the front of the pack. My wife was looking the guy wondering if he knew she runs 4:30 km's on her 15k runs and that her body fat is literally as low as it can go. She wasn't really keen to keep shopping there after they told her to work on her fitness.

Posted: May 17, 2020 at 21:05 Quote
rahrider wrote:
danielchen wrote:
friendlyfoe wrote:

Yup, I'd be pissed off too.

Talking about other bike shop crap. I remember the time my wife and I went in looking for a new bike for her. She was looking for a light weight med travel bike. They didn't have one so they started trying to sell her long travel bikes (which she already owns). Then they changed their sales tactic and suggested that she should try getting in better shape. The guy went on to extol the virtues of his own fitness and how he is on a heavier bike than all his riding pals, yet rides at the front of the pack. My wife was looking the guy wondering if he knew she runs 4:30 km's on her 15k runs and that her body fat is literally as low as it can go. She wasn't really keen to keep shopping there after they told her to work on her fitness.
i went to that shop before and asked if they have a all mountain hardtail (something like a santacruz chameleon) but they suggested me to get the trek marlin five, which is an entry level “xc” bike

Posted: May 17, 2020 at 21:15 Quote
rahrider wrote:
That sucks. I read your other thread when you got your quote. I'm a bit confused though. If you told them to only do a, b and c and they do it but they told you it needed D, E,F and g also done, why are you surprised that the bike still creaks? I don't mean to offend but I just don't understand. I also know how hard it can be to get rid of creaks. I've spent hours chasing down mystery creaks that would have cost me a fortune to get a shop to sort out. Also, what's up with the hub? Does it skip or catch? Or do you just not think it sounds right?
just to clarify so other people wont think i am a retard, they told me to do a, b, and c, i did b and c because i cannot afford doing a, and i am not pleased with the c which is my wheel and it has nothing to do with the creak. im not they type of “nightmare” you guys are talking about, i am a student with not much money left that wants to get the most out a used bike I bought

O+
Posted: May 17, 2020 at 21:53 Quote
danielchen wrote:
rahrider wrote:
That sucks. I read your other thread when you got your quote. I'm a bit confused though. If you told them to only do a, b and c and they do it but they told you it needed D, E,F and g also done, why are you surprised that the bike still creaks? I don't mean to offend but I just don't understand. I also know how hard it can be to get rid of creaks. I've spent hours chasing down mystery creaks that would have cost me a fortune to get a shop to sort out. Also, what's up with the hub? Does it skip or catch? Or do you just not think it sounds right?
just to clarify so other people wont think i am a retard, they told me to do a, b, and c, i did b and c because i cannot afford doing a, and i am not pleased with the c which is my wheel and it has nothing to do with the creak. im not they type of “nightmare” you guys are talking about, i am a student with not much money left that wants to get the most out a used bike I bought

I get it. When I was in your shoes I ran a fully rigid bike with a double chain ring and 8 speed cassette just to save money. That shit ran forever. Suspension is expensive and it wears out. Good luck keeping your rig running on a budget.

Posted: May 17, 2020 at 21:59 Quote
rahrider wrote:
danielchen wrote:
rahrider wrote:

I get it. When I was in your shoes I ran a fully rigid bike with a double chain ring and 8 speed cassette just to save money. That shit ran forever. Suspension is expensive and it wears out. Good luck keeping your rig running on a budget.
thanks man ur the only one here that understands my problem

Posted: May 17, 2020 at 22:18 Quote
danielchen wrote:
just to clarify, i know it is my problem that the creaking is not fixed. i am not pleased because the shop never told me that the rear wheel is unfixable and that i should replace it. When they looked at the bike and send me their original 500 dollar work order, there is not any part that said i am replacing a rear wheel but there are other parts that still work fine that are being replaced.

after seeing that, i said i dont want the extra things and only want to fix my wheel and my bb because even if fixing the bb does not fix the creaking, it is still nessesary since they told me its pretty f*cked up.

they aggreed on that and told me that they will do a hub service with wheel truing included and bb swap.

since they never told me to replace my hubs, i have a feeling that they can fix my wheel, but after that i was dissapointed because the rear hub still sounds like ZZzzzzZZzzz and the rim is stil not strait.

Based on your other thread where you posted what the shop told you, if you have a star ratchet you have a DT swiss hub. These hubs almost always make that slightly unbalanced noise. I have had and currently own multiple sets of 240s an 350s and the sound they make has no bearing on them working. Does it engage when you pedal? Cool, go ride.

Its hard to know what 'bent' means from your post but generally if a rim is legitimately bent, its trashed. Most bent rims can be brought back to a reasonable level of 'trueness' but a bent rim will never be straight again, ever. Does it roll? Cool, go ride!!

The bottom line is, if you spent 200 CAD above as you corrected me to have your wheel trued and hub serviced, that's not bad--the cost of replacing or relacing your wheel with new parts would dwarf that bill. I think the shop is just trying to do what they can for some seriously beat components.

On that note... What exactly isn't work about your bike? Perhaps that's a better use of time on the forum here since you have the attention of a bunch of long time mechanics and gearheads and I'm sure we'd all be happy to get you sorted out.

O+
Posted: May 17, 2020 at 23:18 Quote
The ZZZZzzzzzZZZZZzzzzz sound you describe could be normal if you have loud hub. My Chris king hubs (famous for being loud) often change pitch wavering up and down. I'm not sure if it's the weight of the valve or what. If it engages properly and doesn't catch or skip, I'd probably just ignore it. Fancy hubs are loud - that's why they cost more.

FL
Posted: May 17, 2020 at 23:44 Quote
Fantastic thread thanks everyone

Posted: May 17, 2020 at 23:58 Quote
My bb developed play. I removed cranks with crank puller, removed the bb with a bb removal tool and put it back together in about half an hour. Cost £12.

My headset kept coming loose so I used a screwdriver and hammer to carefully remove the cups, used a length of threaded bar, two nuts/washers to press in new bearing cups put back together. Cost £16 and took 1 hour and 40 minutes.

I needed new cartridge bearings in my front hub. I removed old bearings with a bearing puller, replaced with drifts and previous threaded bar and nuts/washers took 25 minutes. Cost £10.

i wish i was as smart as you, after posting i looked at amazon for tools and their price turned out to be way lower than what i expected. i feel like fixing the bike myself will save a lot of money over time.

I'm not claiming to be smarter than you or anyone. Intelligence has nothing to do with it. Just trying to show there are alternative options from bike shops.

Everyone who knows about bikes, maintenance and fixing starts out knowing nothing. Your half way there just having the right tools for the job. Trial and error, mistakes, wrong parts are all part of the learning curve but worth the journey for the sense of pride and reward of being self sufficient and not having to rely on someone else to fix it for you with disappointing results through not fully understanding what is involved.

FL
Posted: May 18, 2020 at 1:18 Quote
danielchen wrote:
rahrider wrote:
danielchen wrote:

thanks man ur the only one here that understands my problem

If the shop trued your wheel and you have alloy rims and it’s still not straight then there’s no reason to be upset for it not being straight. With alloy wheels it is almost always better that they are properly tensioned instead of straight, because if they are completely straight after significant use they usually don’t have proper spoke tension which will make them more out of true in the long run. In this situation overall, it seems that the bike shop is in the right and you are in the wrong for lack of knowledge.

On another note, for those complaining about shop customer service when trying to buy bikes, most shops will order bikes for you if the distributor they buy from has them in stock, and you ask for a bike they don’t have on the shop floor. If at that point they talk you out of buying a bike they have bad customer service, not before it.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011736
Mobile Version of Website