Powered by Outside

Hugene.......any good?

PB Forum :: Propain Bikes
Hugene.......any good?
Posted: Feb 3, 2022 at 12:12 Quote
Should have my Hugene next week, pretty stoked!

One thing to consider is a bearing in the top eyelet. There is a lot of rotation in that link and bushings tend to have a lot more stiction. That was something that made a massive difference on my previous bike (which also had a lot of link rotation) and I'm likely to give it a try again. The small bump sensitivity is day and night.

O+ FL
Posted: Feb 3, 2022 at 13:18 Quote
splitlit wrote:
Should have my Hugene next week, pretty stoked!

One thing to consider is a bearing in the top eyelet. There is a lot of rotation in that link and bushings tend to have a lot more stiction. That was something that made a massive difference on my previous bike (which also had a lot of link rotation) and I'm likely to give it a try again. The small bump sensitivity is day and night.

I thought about it but it doesn't bother me enough to pull the trigger on a bearing kit yet. I'm using polymer bushings which have less friction than the standard PTFE coated DU bushings. I will inspect it after a couple of rides and decide if I want to switch to the bearings from there.

Posted: Feb 6, 2022 at 7:20 Quote
I’m tying to decide between a medium size or large size frame. I’m 178 cm, anyone have a suggestion on which size to go with? I’m right between the two sizes on Propain’s geo charts.

Posted: Feb 6, 2022 at 7:53 Quote
I would go with the large. I'm 188cm and on an XL, which also puts me between sizes. The L would just feel too small, and the XL with a 35 or 40mm stem is perfect.

O+ FL
Posted: Feb 6, 2022 at 8:09 Quote
Yep, large with short stem unless seattube length would be an issue for you.

Posted: Feb 6, 2022 at 11:43 Quote
Thanks for the input. I’m on a Large transition patrol right now, so I was leaning toward the L.

Posted: Feb 6, 2022 at 13:49 Quote
photo

I love the petrol color, looks amazing in person, not that great in pictures.

Should have the build done in the next few months. Reach is on the long side, but with a 150mm fork and a 35-40mm stem, it'll be perfect.

I also got the Evolution SL A 30 wheels with my build, which is a very welcome surprise.

Posted: Feb 8, 2022 at 2:01 Quote
I'm 175cm, 75kg and riding M Hugene - superb for me, L would be less agile and more just for downhill oriented tracks.. I had to cut bars to 78cm as for my hight I was stretched too much..

Edit: my 150mm dropper is 2.5cm above top of seat tube so plenty of space in both direction..

Posted: Apr 11, 2022 at 10:19 Quote
Anyone wrap their frame or add more downtube protection? Kind of sucks there are no custom kits out there, however I'm thinking of working with an off the shelf ride wrap kit to cover the most vulnerable areas.

O+ FL
Posted: Apr 11, 2022 at 14:08 Quote
I used the ride wrap covered kit to cover the usual spots and top tube.

Posted: Apr 11, 2022 at 17:16 Quote
Coverage is relatively good I assume? Did you have to trim down pieces?

O+ FL
Posted: Apr 12, 2022 at 7:28 Quote
Good enough for me. No I didn't have to cut anything. There's plenty in the kit to do the job and some extra.

Posted: May 2, 2022 at 17:00 Quote
For those still looking for opinions on the Hugene: I've put on about 150 miles on mine so far, on typical California Bay Area trails (UCSC, Demo, etc): Pinkbike reviews are spot on - balanced and composed, doesn't feel tippy on either ends; not as good on small bumps when compared to Santa Cruz bikes with VPP, seems to skip over semi-techy chattery stuff; feels energetic on climbs and sprints out of corners. Not as playful as Tallboys, but more confident feeling at speed. If you're looking for plush and muted, not the bike for you... If you're looking for responsive but harsh, great for 140/150. Can probably dial the ride in better with some rebound adjustments, but I'm not good at that stuff. Only complaint, chain rattles against hard-plastic chain protector, making it loud at times... probably louder to me because of how quiet the hubs are. Hope this helps y'all

O+ FL
Posted: May 2, 2022 at 18:29 Quote
Good review, I agree with most of what you said. The Hugene definitely doesn't have a plush magic carpet feel but it does get out of the way when you hammer stuff, and it pedals so damn good.

What shock are you running? I really want to try the new FloatX on this if they're ever available again. I was surprised to have to put 260psi in my DPX2 to get good sag. I haven't had any rattle issues with a 34 oval, the bike is dead quiet.

I'd like to try out the Tyee now. We have demo day coming up so will definitely post up a comparison.

Posted: May 2, 2022 at 20:50 Quote
PhoS wrote:
Good review, I agree with most of what you said. The Hugene definitely doesn't have a plush magic carpet feel but it does get out of the way when you hammer stuff, and it pedals so damn good.

What shock are you running? I really want to try the new FloatX on this if they're ever available again. I was surprised to have to put 260psi in my DPX2 to get good sag. I haven't had any rattle issues with a 34 oval, the bike is dead quiet.

I'd like to try out the Tyee now. We have demo day coming up so will definitely post up a comparison.

Climbs so well, I PR most of my climbs as compared to my previous rides! I'm running a Float X Factory, but yeah, I'm at 250psi to get proper sag. I'm curious about the Tyee, too; it'd be a lot of bike for what I usually ride, but if it climbs as good as they say... hmmm.... let me know how what you think of it.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.027256
Mobile Version of Website