Pinkbike will be undergoing scheduled maintenance on May 29 at 9pm PST for up to 6 hours. We apologize for any inconvenience caused during this time.
Powered by Outside

Canadian road trip

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Canadian road trip
FL
Posted: Feb 6, 2022 at 10:26 Quote
mick06 wrote:
Dont stay in pemberton. Its a tiny drive from whistler if you want to ride there and if you stay in whistler youve got way more stuff you can do when not on the bike.

Are helidrops normal for people here? Or is this like an ‘Australians ride kangaroos to school’ thing. Maybe ive been doing this mtb thing all wrong and peddling like a sucker.

Ok, normal in ways that stuff like that is possible at all.

Clichewise I‘d expect everybody chopps woods and can‘t make a day without maple sirup

O+
Posted: Feb 7, 2022 at 8:25 Quote
firewalkwithme wrote:
You guys are awesome! Thanks a lot for the feedback.

We'd be most happy to ride with you!

When looking for condos or houses in Whistler there is plenty offered. Any areas or places you would recommend due to being close to the park or for whatever reason?
Pemberton has few places. Would you stay in Whistler and go there by car instead. I actually think it's better to see something else as well, especially to get somewhere quieter after a couple of days.

We would like to do some crazy shit (probalbly totally normal for you guys) like using a water plane shuttle and heli drops.
I've found the plane thing in Whistler. Would a heli drop be possible in Pembi or Squamish? If yes where, or if no, where else?

Wouldn't really recommend staying in Pemberton, driving back and forth to whistler would be lame (especially if there's big construction delays like last year) and there's way less amenities. If you really want 'quiet' just stay somewhere a little outside of the village like in the benchlands or blueberry hill something, still easy bike ride or decent walk to town.

I like the condos along Northlands blvd; sun path stoney Creek lagoons and stoney Creek north star. Right in the village but full condos with outside entrances no elevators/hallways etc. They're mostly 1 and 2 bedrooms I dunno if you're looking for bigger.

Float plane trip with Tyax adventures would be awesome. Helicopter drops have been a bit iffy last couple years from tenure issues or permits or something, Blackcomb helicopters is the one that does them the most maybe email them.

O+
Posted: Feb 8, 2022 at 9:32 Quote
kevin267 wrote:
firewalkwithme wrote:
You guys are awesome! Thanks a lot for the feedback.

We'd be most happy to ride with you!

When looking for condos or houses in Whistler there is plenty offered. Any areas or places you would recommend due to being close to the park or for whatever reason?
Pemberton has few places. Would you stay in Whistler and go there by car instead. I actually think it's better to see something else as well, especially to get somewhere quieter after a couple of days.

We would like to do some crazy shit (probalbly totally normal for you guys) like using a water plane shuttle and heli drops.
I've found the plane thing in Whistler. Would a heli drop be possible in Pembi or Squamish? If yes where, or if no, where else?

Wouldn't really recommend staying in Pemberton, driving back and forth to whistler would be lame (especially if there's big construction delays like last year) and there's way less amenities. If you really want 'quiet' just stay somewhere a little outside of the village like in the benchlands or blueberry hill something, still easy bike ride or decent walk to town.

I like the condos along Northlands blvd; sun path stoney Creek lagoons and stoney Creek north star. Right in the village but full condos with outside entrances no elevators/hallways etc. They're mostly 1 and 2 bedrooms I dunno if you're looking for bigger.

Float plane trip with Tyax adventures would be awesome. Helicopter drops have been a bit iffy last couple years from tenure issues or permits or something, Blackcomb helicopters is the one that does them the most maybe email them.

*this* Well said

FL
Posted: Apr 8, 2022 at 8:24 Quote
We booked the flights and will be in Vancouver 15th August.

Plans have changed a bit to keep driving and ferry to a minimum.
we'll stay few days in Vancouver , than Setchelt, after that Squamish, Whistler and we'll have some days in back country with tyax before heading back to Vancouver.

Of course no one can predict the weather but would you book in advance or rather try to keep it flexible.
I don't know whether wood fires might be a thing or not as well.

Normally I prefer to have things booked and to be safe not to have to pay a fortune for a sh*thole.

whats your opinion?

O+
Posted: Apr 8, 2022 at 9:40 Quote
firewalkwithme wrote:

we'll stay few days in Vancouver , than Setchelt, after that Squamish, Whistler and we'll have some days in back country with tyax before heading back to Vancouver.

Of course no one can predict the weather but would you book in advance or rather try to keep it flexible.

Normally I prefer to have things booked and to be safe not to have to pay a fortune for a sh*thole.

whats your opinion?

Sounds awesome.

Its different each year, but the interior has been trending towards smokier the past few (so it may turn out to have been a safe bet to have avoided Revy/Kelowna etc in mid August...). Totally depends though, sometime the Sea To Sky gets socked in too.

Odds are very good you'd still be okay to ride though. Riding in smoke isn't great of course, but we had very little in the Lower mainland/Sea to Sky last year. So fingers crossed for you.

Schedule sounds great. A few days to check out Fromme, Seymour and Cypress (or head towards the valley to Burke, Eagle, Woodlot if you get bored somehow).

When in Sechelt I'd recommend sticking to Roberts Creek and then Sprockids if you're looking for more exciting options. Coast Gravity makes for a good day too.

Squamish... Alice Lake one day for the slabs, then Diamond Head for shuttles (or pedals) if you want to get some more flow and jumps into the rotation. And all this is just stuff you can find on trailforks.

Whistler- I'm assuming bikepark? But if riding local trails there are tons of options. Lord of the Squirrels is fun to do to say you did it and Dark Crystal on Blackcomb is fun. Pemberton is a great day trip option from Whistler if you have some extra time- MacKenzie and Mosquito Lake area have some awesome options (choose your routes based on skill/comfort level- same goes for any other location on your list of course).

Let me know if you've got other questions! Excited for ya.

O+
Posted: Apr 9, 2022 at 12:51 Quote
firewalkwithme wrote:

whats your opinion?

August is really busy, book accommodations asap as a lot of hotels and campsites will sell out. There will almost certainly be a fire ban on camp fires at that time if that's what you're asking, or wildfires might be a thing might not who knows.

FL
Posted: Jul 8, 2022 at 1:14 Quote
Hey guys,
it's been a while.
We booked all accomodations more or less according to our plan.
It was not possible to get something proper in Squamish and Pemberton. (at least I couldn't find anything for the period via Air bnb etc).
So we decided to stay in Whistler and drive to Squamish/Pemberton.
Getting a car was also not that easy. Thanks to Covid almost all suitable catagories are not available. For those who read here to get some information: Make sure to get a vehicle early.

We'll be in Vancouver 16th + 31st August + 1st Sept.
Whistler 21st - 27th August (flexible what + where to ride when)

So if there is a chance to ride together or have a cold one; let me know! I owe you guys.

Once again time to thank you all.
I got a lot of precious information here and really appreciate that!

THANKS!

I let you know how things worked out
Cheers
Jörg

Posted: Jul 8, 2022 at 16:50 Quote
firewalkwithme wrote:
Hey guys,
it's been a while.
It was not possible to get something proper in Squamish and Pemberton. (at least I couldn't find anything for the period via Air bnb etc).
Getting a car was also not that easy. Thanks to Covid almost all suitable catagories are not available. For those who read here to get some information: Make sure to get a vehicle early.

So if there is a chance to ride together or have a cold one; let me know! I owe you guys.

THANKS!

Cheers
Jörg

Have a great trip.
It's been a wetter than usual summer here so far, but that just means riding conditions are all time !
Currently Vancouver to Pemberton has avoided dry and dusty, for grippy hero dirt. Fingers crossed it stays that way for your visit.

O+
Posted: Jul 16, 2022 at 9:12 Quote
firewalkwithme wrote:
Hey guys,
it's been a while.

THANKS!

Cheers
Jörg

That’s awesome!

I should be in North Van around that time.!back to work, but an evening might go if it all works out!

FL
Posted: Aug 9, 2022 at 0:40 Quote
View days....

2 further questions:
I booked Shred for shuttle in Squamish. How's that normally working? What I read from their page is that it's a single uplift. Full day shuttle is planned but not available yet. But do they usually shuttle couple of times per day?

Are there any shuttle services/guides in North VC / Mt Fromme / Pemberton areas?

Cheers
Jörg

O+ FL
Posted: Aug 9, 2022 at 13:34 Quote
firewalkwithme wrote:
View days....

2 further questions:
I booked Shred for shuttle in Squamish. How's that normally working? What I read from their page is that it's a single uplift. Full day shuttle is planned but not available yet. But do they usually shuttle couple of times per day?

Are there any shuttle services/guides in North VC / Mt Fromme / Pemberton areas?

Cheers
Jörg

Don't know about the shred shuttle but evidently Endless Biking does shuttles up Mt Seymour on the shore:

https://www.endlessbiking.com/mt-seymour-gravity-laps

Fromme is pedal only.

O+ FL
Posted: Aug 16, 2022 at 15:49 Quote
firewalkwithme wrote:
View days....

2 further questions:

Cheers
Jörg

Shred Shuttle runs all day on weekends, the schedule is on the website, I think it leaves on the hour from the bottom lot. You have to book individual shuttles on the site though, they don't have a day pass option (yet). I think you can just pay in person for laps past your first one (if they aren't full)? You can easily get down in an hour if you are a decent rider or know the trails, if you are exploring it could take over an hour depending on skill and where you end up.

FL
Posted: Aug 16, 2022 at 19:10 Quote
gramboh wrote:
firewalkwithme wrote:
View days....

2 further questions:

Cheers
Jörg

Shred Shuttle runs all day on weekends, the schedule is on the website, I think it leaves on the hour from the bottom lot. You have to book individual shuttles on the site though, they don't have a day pass option (yet). I think you can just pay in person for laps past your first one (if they aren't full)? You can easily get down in an hour if you are a decent rider or know the trails, if you are exploring it could take over an hour depending on skill and where you end up.

Thank you
We'll see. I think we will decide when we are there.
North Vancouver didn't dissapoint! start of the trip was a blast!

O+
Posted: Aug 17, 2022 at 7:33 Quote
Sounds like I'm a bit late for advice on lodging - glad to hear you enjoyed the shore. In case you haven't booked lodging yet, I would consider a single place for the Sea to Sky for 9 days, rather than staying in each of Squamish, Whistler and Pemberton for 3 days each (or whatever the split is). You can easily drive between the three for day rides (or ride Pemby in the morning and WBP evening and then back to a hotel/ABnB in Squamish etc.). The faff of changing hotels three times will cost you more riding time than driving each day from a single location.

FL
Posted: Aug 17, 2022 at 11:55 Quote
knowsam wrote:
Sounds like I'm a bit late for advice on lodging - glad to hear you enjoyed the shore. In case you haven't booked lodging yet, I would consider a single place for the Sea to Sky for 9 days, rather than staying in each of Squamish, Whistler and Pemberton for 3 days each (or whatever the split is). You can easily drive between the three for day rides (or ride Pemby in the morning and WBP evening and then back to a hotel/ABnB in Squamish etc.). The faff of changing hotels three times will cost you more riding time than driving each day from a single location.

We booked Whistler for the time at sea 2 sky for that reason.
So far all things come together perfectly fine.
Hope it stays like that. Vancouver was a very promissing start

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.019950
Mobile Version of Website