Powered by Outside

New to DH. Are there better choices than others?

PB Forum :: Downhill
New to DH. Are there better choices than others?
Posted: Jul 30, 2008 at 22:57 Quote
vinceliberatore wrote:
Avidmark wrote:
I'm looking to get a DH bike for next year and not to sure which company and model to go with. Bang for the buck is more important than just the price.

Giant Glory.

definitly
i just purchased my glory dh recently for 2700 used
did a few repairs
and dont regret any of it
worth every penny i spent
very fast feeling bike and extremely responsive
any questions on it you can message me

Posted: Jul 30, 2008 at 23:01 Quote
Avidmark wrote:
How much is the Wilson 1. Some company's have prices and others don't.

i saw one for $2500 at my lbs but i believe the regular price is close to $2700

Posted: Jul 31, 2008 at 4:26 Quote
yea the 09 atomiks are sweet... they use the 08 team dh frame... they do not have the new hyrdoformed tubing... def check em out man

Posted: Jul 31, 2008 at 6:31 Quote
Kbone wrote:
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.norco.com/news/images/regular/2007October/421.jpg
Looks like a nice DH bike to me...

Ye i guess it looks alright.
My friend started off dh on a hardtail, then went to an Atomik and was a pretty shitty rider cased every jump and fell off the bike all the time and was getting into the slower 1/3 of the class at races.

He just got a sunday and now his style is completely different and is in the top half of our class easily.

Im not telling u to get a sunday, but dont expect to ride to ur full potential on one of those, so if u think to yourself, u wanna buy an Atomik and ride dh for 2 or 3 years on it, ud be better off spending a little extra for something like a glory etc.

Hope i was of help mate

Posted: Jul 31, 2008 at 8:57 Quote
well i'm not interested in competing. I'm too old to start. However I just want to do DH trails and stuff for fun. Assumed a DH specific bike would be best. The Glory is sweet looking but the Wilson 1 looks like the bike choice for me to start out on price wise. (I can handle under $3000 provided I sell my current ride)

Posted: Jul 31, 2008 at 11:04 Quote
wesley1234567 wrote:
Kbone wrote:
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.norco.com/news/images/regular/2007October/421.jpg
Looks like a nice DH bike to me...

Ye i guess it looks alright.
My friend started off dh on a hardtail, then went to an Atomik and was a pretty shitty rider cased every jump and fell off the bike all the time and was getting into the slower 1/3 of the class at races.

He just got a sunday and now his style is completely different and is in the top half of our class easily.

Im not telling u to get a sunday, but dont expect to ride to ur full potential on one of those, so if u think to yourself, u wanna buy an Atomik and ride dh for 2 or 3 years on it, ud be better off spending a little extra for something like a glory etc.

Hope i was of help mate

mabye the geometry just wasnt for him, i mean most people hate riding stabs, but they are perfect for me.

Posted: Jul 31, 2008 at 15:58 Quote
It's my first year racing, and I can't compare my 08' Atomik to any other races rides due to inexperience, but I am extremely satisfied with my Atomik. The only thing I had to change out was the tires, swapped the nevegals for minions and haven't looked back since.

Posted: Jul 31, 2008 at 18:59 Quote
t-saw wrote:
It's my first year racing, and I can't compare my 08' Atomik to any other races rides due to inexperience, but I am extremely satisfied with my Atomik. The only thing I had to change out was the tires, swapped the nevegals for minions and haven't looked back since.

nevigals are cross country tires.....lol

Posted: Aug 1, 2008 at 11:27 Quote
lighttekku wrote:
t-saw wrote:

There are different versions of the Nevegal. You don't think Norco would go putting the XC version on a DH bike now would you?

http://www.kendausa.com/bicycle/JohnTomac.html#nevegal

Posted: Aug 1, 2008 at 11:40 Quote
Avidmark wrote:
well i'm not interested in competing. I'm too old to start.

A little off topic, but you're not too old to start anything. I got into biking a couple years ago, and my dad got hooked in right with me. He's 52, races DH in the 40+ Sport class, and is on the podium at most all races.
photo

Posted: Aug 1, 2008 at 11:44 Quote
lighttekku wrote:
t-saw wrote:

xc tires arnt ussally 2.5" and put on dh bikes

Posted: Aug 1, 2008 at 14:57 Quote
brycemtb wrote:
lighttekku wrote:
t-saw wrote:

xc tires arnt ussally 2.5" and put on dh bikes

untrue You can get MAxxis minions in the Xc version at 2.5 and 2.7, when buying a tire make sure it's round ( thick wall dh tire ) and not Folded up in a package ( xc version )
Smile

Posted: Aug 1, 2008 at 16:34 Quote
t-saw wrote:
lighttekku wrote:
t-saw wrote:

There are different versions of the Nevegal. You don't think Norco would go putting the XC version on a DH bike now would you?

http://www.kendausa.com/bicycle/JohnTomac.html#nevegal

i learned soemthing today Smile

Posted: Aug 1, 2008 at 18:38 Quote
So, does anyone know how much the Wilson 1 is? I can't find a price on Devinci's website.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013644
Mobile Version of Website