Whats better for your fitness: Running or Biking?

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
Whats better for your fitness: Running or Biking?
Posted: Aug 12, 2008 at 19:40 Quote
It really depends what kind of 'cycling' you're doing. If you're dirt jumping, I doubt you'll get all that much exercise. XC and road riding will build muscle on your legs and is more of a cardio workout. But biketrials, on the other hand, is a completely different animal. You build a lot more muscle around your ankles, calves, forearms, and ass. Sometimes there's good cardio as well.

Posted: Aug 12, 2008 at 19:43 Quote
well i ride to get around most of the time im doing street well practicing to get better and a little dirt jumping but i havent ran but ive noticed from biking and i have lost over 10 pounds so i think what i have been doing is working lol

O+
Posted: Aug 12, 2008 at 19:46 Quote
aha! new solution, go out and build a 6pack that have 5 foot lips and big landings with no bowl in the tranny's. then you will suffer/gain the outcome

Posted: Aug 13, 2008 at 6:16 Quote
konarider112 wrote:
Termenaitor wrote:
I hate running...

i too hate running. i can run very fast but i just hate running. I think i heard somewhere that running is bad for you so dont do it. ride single speed rigid cross country.
I can't run very fast until I someone is running after me...I can run so fast I'm invisible when that happensWink

O+
Posted: Aug 13, 2008 at 6:27 Quote
Termenaitor wrote:
konarider112 wrote:
Termenaitor wrote:
I hate running...

i too hate running. i can run very fast but i just hate running. I think i heard somewhere that running is bad for you so dont do it. ride single speed rigid cross country.
I can't run very fast until I someone is running after me...I can run so fast I'm invisible when that happensWink

yeah for some reason i got the same thing going on. i was running to my friends house one time and he popped out of the bushes and scared the crap out of me and i have never ran so fast in my life

Posted: Aug 13, 2008 at 6:28 Quote
stprulez wrote:
running is retarded.
-boring
-CANT DO TRICKS:O

Ever heard of parkour or free-running?

Posted: Aug 18, 2008 at 2:32 Quote
I ride park (mainly bowl riding) and even that gives really good fitness since your constantly pulling up on the bars, shifting your center of gravity, pumping and pedaling and tricking.

But in the end of the day I think is more about whether or not your having fun, because if your not having fun running, your not going to do it as much as if you were. If you have fun biking (i think more people do) then you will end up doing more of it.

Posted: Aug 21, 2008 at 12:46 Quote
i think the best fittness is going to ride, well what ever you ride!!

Posted: Aug 23, 2008 at 15:06 Quote
It's been proven that biking does burn more calories, so biking.

Posted: Aug 23, 2008 at 15:13 Quote
EL1XER wrote:
It's been proven that biking does burn more calories, so biking.

thats wrong yo.

Posted: Aug 23, 2008 at 16:03 Quote
stprulez wrote:
running is retarded.
-boring
-slower
-CANT DO TRICKS:O
-those f*cking belts and equipment they use look retarded and those GPS thingies on their hand is like a f*cking computer, you know just in case you get lost in the middle of your city
-my moms a runner and spends bout 60% of her time on it
-waste of money and time imo

Running can be fun. It is also a very good way to stay in shape, more so (for me) than biking. Argue with me if you want, but I get way more from a run than I do from biking (this depends on the individual. Don't tell me that "tests" proved biking to be a harder workout, because someone may be more motivated to get to the top of a hill on a bike, than to run the top of the hill. It depends on the person). However biking is more fun, hands down. How is running a waste of money? It costs alot less than biking does.

Posted: Aug 26, 2008 at 18:26 Quote
I started running last year and have worked it into my fitness routine. It's definitely helped me out this year in my XC races and I've managed to drop a few pounds.

Plus, during running events, you get to meet and run with insanely hot women! Hard to do that riding and even then it's at a slow pace (for me anyways). I might do a 1/2 marathon in about 1-1/2 months where there's over 10,000 people there and I'll be sure to be chatting it up with some people before, during and after.

O+
Posted: Aug 26, 2008 at 18:28 Quote
They also work different muscles....

O+
Posted: Aug 27, 2008 at 5:01 Quote
walking, jogging, running, sprinting. pretty much 4 distinct bipedal actions.

if you want to take your cardio to a new and unexpected level?
then start with pace jogging. that's is finding a speed you can jog for about a hour.
running is what you do when you want to go about a mile and half or 2.4 km.
sprinting is about half that.
i am not saying these are rules or i know what i am talking about. but that's what i do. i also run up hills then jog down them....repeatedly. helps leg strength.
when i bike, i don't feel much burn anymore.

Posted: Aug 28, 2008 at 20:52 Quote
run up hills that is good a good work out and lift weights and shit

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.041018
Mobile Version of Website