Powered by Outside

Carbon rotors, that's right I said it. **EDIT first prototype made**

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Carbon rotors, that's right I said it. **EDIT first prototype made**
Posted: Aug 20, 2008 at 19:04 Quote
sherbet wrote:
Those rotors I posted have been claimed to be -very- strong. I think your rotors would be able to take a beating, at the very least.

Yea, and it's not like I'm spending any money since I already have all the resources.

Posted: Aug 20, 2008 at 19:06 Quote
-tom wrote:
bikrboij wrote:
I'd say it is worth a try. What can you loose. Carbon disks + organic pads= good test. what is the diameter of those disks?

They are 6 1/4", so not really able to fit on a bike with regular adapters.

could you not sand them down another 1/4" so they would fit standard brakes.

Posted: Aug 20, 2008 at 19:07 Quote
william4269 wrote:
-tom wrote:
bikrboij wrote:
I'd say it is worth a try. What can you loose. Carbon disks + organic pads= good test. what is the diameter of those disks?

They are 6 1/4", so not really able to fit on a bike with regular adapters.

could you not sand them down another 1/4" so they would fit standard brakes.

I could, or I could make my own for the right size and cut out some parts for more weight saving.

Posted: Aug 20, 2008 at 19:15 Quote
So I just did a rough weigh in on my fishing scale and the carbon rotors are 3 ounces while a regular 6 inch rotor is 4 ounces.

I will reweigh them on a better scale though. So 1 oz lighter without any cutouts and being 1/4" wider in diameter.

O+ FL
Posted: Aug 20, 2008 at 19:17 Quote
If you wear through the resin you'll start unraveling the weave i think.

Posted: Aug 20, 2008 at 19:31 Quote
samnation wrote:
If you wear through the resin you'll start unraveling the weave i think.

It might, who knows. I should have a better designed one made for tomorrow.

Posted: Aug 20, 2008 at 19:44 Quote
Uhm, one thing that i noticed that hasn't been mentioned was the heat issue...carbon is.. well.. carbon, don't we burn it for energy?(coal) so to my way of thinking wouldn't the rotors ignite when exposed to a certain temperature? and being under stress,toque,torsion and heat, not to mention centrifical force while in rotation...just seems like a big problem to me...

O+ FL
Posted: Aug 20, 2008 at 19:45 Quote
4mr2thc0 wrote:
Uhm, one thing that i noticed that hasn't been mentioned was the heat issue...carbon is.. well.. carbon, don't we burn it for energy?(coal) so to my way of thinking wouldn't the rotors ignite when exposed to a certain temperature? and being under stress,toque,torsion and heat, not to mention centrifical force while in rotation...just seems like a big problem to me...

Not hot enough. Coal is a carbon nased structure ame as humans

Posted: Aug 20, 2008 at 19:46 Quote
I am curious to see how this works. Though a standard composite rotor is a carbon reinforced with graphite and a silicon carbide mix, I don't think the plain weave will last long. Try it in the rear first. If the rotor shatters the last thing you want is pieces of carbon shooting up towards your face. Good luck.

Edit: Reinforced carbon-carbon can easily withstand 1600 degree temps on an F1 car. Doubt a bike would set it ablaze.

Posted: Aug 20, 2008 at 19:46 Quote
4mr2thc0 wrote:

Carbon rotors have been used in the automotive industry for a while.

Plus in the case of a bike, I don't think that it would be able to produce enough heat with the carbon.

Posted: Aug 20, 2008 at 19:47 Quote
4mr2thc0 wrote:

if that happens you brake wayyy too much

Posted: Aug 20, 2008 at 19:49 Quote
4mr2thc0 wrote:

One of the wonderful things about carbon is that it can bond with itself in many different ways, yeilding many different chemical properties. Carbon rotors will not ignite, because the properties of the carbon in the rotor are different form that of the coal.

Think about it this way. If I remember correctly, Diamonds are also pure carbon, but they will not ignite, and have very different properties from coal.

Posted: Aug 20, 2008 at 19:51 Quote
Yea, im not too familiar with carbon products anyway, let alone their heat retention properties...if it isnt the heat that gets me to wondering its the abrasion from pads, and dirt and grit getting between the pads and rotor...how would the material hold up to stress like that and how well would it perform after being subjected to that stress and abraision?

Posted: Aug 20, 2008 at 19:53 Quote
I'm going to pick up some organic pads to test out with this as well.

Mod
Posted: Aug 20, 2008 at 19:55 Quote
Take a look at what Brembo makes as far as carbon brakes are concerned. You might get some ideas as to how to design them and what sort of brake pads to use.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012400
Mobile Version of Website