Powered by Outside

Adjustable Travel Rear Shocks - not popular?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Adjustable Travel Rear Shocks - not popular?
Posted: Nov 16, 2008 at 16:54 Quote
another point, your fork can do the same thing as the rear shock. if you have adjustable travel on your fork, which you can get with most rockshox. if your climbing a hill lets say, you can drop the front travel making a more tight head angle, making it easier to climb. if your going downhill raise the suspension to create a more slack head tube angle .

Posted: Nov 16, 2008 at 16:56 Quote
Raising the suspension would create a steeper head angle dude.

Posted: Nov 16, 2008 at 17:02 Quote
igz- wrote:
Raising the suspension would create a steeper head angle dude.

no, if you put a 200mm fork on a 100 frame, its not going to create a steeper head angle.

Posted: Nov 16, 2008 at 17:03 Quote
I thought you meant raise the rear shock... my bad

Posted: Nov 16, 2008 at 19:02 Quote
Scott Ransom yo.

Anyways...nothing that couldn't be accomplished with lockout.

O+
Posted: Nov 16, 2008 at 20:06 Quote
Come on, guys. It's not for climbing. That's just the example I was trying to use for forks.
I'm thinking about the "I want a bike that can do DJ and DH" crowd. Dial both down for the dirt jumps, let them both out for the big trail. Sure, it wouldn't be an ideal DJ bike, but people do it with their DJ/DH hardtails. They throw on Domains or Lyriks and hit the park and the trail.

Assuming you lowered both at the same time (evenly), would the geo change?

Posted: Nov 16, 2008 at 20:15 Quote
well i dont per say have a rear adjustable shock, but i do have a yeti asx and you can change the linage bolt on it to make it either 7.1 inches or 6.4. IT basically just compresses the shock a little bit then locks it there. BUt its bad because you then have to reset the preload and the compression and everything else

O+
Posted: Nov 16, 2008 at 20:40 Quote
Right, but the angles wouldn't change.

Here's an idea. Could you adjust something so that instead of going from top down, it adjusts from bottom up?
Go ahead and think I'm on crack on this one.
It works so that instead of having the unavailable travel squished inside the fork/shock, it's available, but it just doesn't go down as far, like it acts like it has a shorter stroke. That way, the geo wouldn't change, but the squishies wouldn't be so squishy.

I am ranting and I need my mouth bolted shut.

Posted: Nov 16, 2008 at 20:43 Quote
Why the f*ck would you want that? I've never been on a trailride and thought, geez, I like my angles and ride height as they are, but I wish my shit would bottom sooner. I guess this is what we expect from a guy with a hardtail DH bike and a fully xc race bike. And a fixie. Shave man, you have ingrown hairs in your brain.

Posted: Nov 16, 2008 at 20:51 Quote
hahahahahah oh man... ahahahha

Posted: Nov 16, 2008 at 20:57 Quote
hAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA because thers no reason for you since a shock that would have adjustable travel would have lockkout too so you could just lock it out......

O+
Posted: Nov 16, 2008 at 21:07 Quote
dubhex wrote:
Why the f*ck would you want that? I've never been on a trailride and thought, geez, I like my angles and ride height as they are, but I wish my shit would bottom sooner. I guess this is what we expect from a guy with a hardtail DH bike and a fully xc race bike. And a fixie. Shave man, you have ingrown hairs in your brain.

1. Wow, dude. I didn't realize when I was posting in this thread that I was poisoning you. My mistake.

2. Your background check on me is really impressive.

3. I'm not saying that this is an excellent idea, just wondering, sharing an idea that other users may help me develop into something useful or help me to understand why it's no good. As you have clearly shown, you are of neither breed. I was hoping that someone would come through and work it out, work with me to move the idea and make something of it, but here you go flaming me because you think a premature idea is something to be offended by. This is exactly what I hate about some of the Pinkbike community. If it's not really-cool-right-now or extremely-fast-advanced-tech or whatever-you're-looking-for, it shouldn't be posted, and the poster should be verbally punished and disrespected for wasting everyone else's bandwidth.

4. Evidently you don't understand why one would want it. I'm saying that on jumps and stuff, when you have too much travel, it can really take up your momentum and you won't launch with as much "pop" or "snap." It's not for bottoming sooner on the trail. You're wrong.

5. The Hardtail DH bike. If you've ever talked to me about it (which you haven't), you'd know that I built it as an experiment, and that I'm looking to switch out the fork for a single crown and possibly the frame for something like a Specialized SX (not-trail) and just use the build, which I think is quite good. It was an experiment, and I don't think it rides very well because the fork is really sticky, and the contrast between the front and rear of the bike is to stark.

6. You quote a "fully xc race bike" presumably as a flaw, owing to the fact that everything in your post was meant to back up your (weak) case that I'm some sort of idiot that can't figure things out. Notice that the World Cup was recently won on an Epic. Just like mine, just updated. How about knowing before you speak, let alone thinking. The fact that you judge negatively me for having that bike alienates you from a very very large percentage of the mountain biking community. If you can't accept the fact that I own a "fully xc race bike," then you simply aren't a true mountain biker. A true mountain biker or any biker, for that matter, embraces other riding styles, and puts riding and enjoyment above all. If you think I'm dumb for having a "fully xc race bike," you must be the one with impaired judgement.

7. The fixie. Another buzzword for someone to make fun of or scoff at. I didn't want to ride a road bike, and I didn't want to ride a mountain bike to school every day. I liked riding my dad's track bike, and wanted to ride it more, but it's in such good condition that I didn't want to mar it. So, I built myself a fixie. You, of course, in your narrow-minded nature, will not appreciate or understand this, but it really does help in other sorts of riding. I don't suppose you'll ever enjoy this advantage. After all, you're not big into trying new things. Whatever, your call.

8. Lastly, the fact that I'm growing a beard. You know what it's for? It's for people to come together and not worry about anything, to talk about beards and whatever else, to be people. It's one of the best threads on this site, full of nice people, all being nice to each other. That's what this site is for. If you're having trouble understanding that, I feel sorry for you.

Good night.

Posted: Nov 16, 2008 at 21:08 Quote
I don't he actually meant any of that Hombre.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.160576
Mobile Version of Website