Bighit Vs. Stinky Pro's and Con's

PB Forum :: Downhill
Bighit Vs. Stinky Pro's and Con's
Posted: Dec 11, 2008 at 17:09 Quote
jonbikes wrote:
If they are both the same I would go with the BigHit. Not only is it going to do more than just DH, the suspension will perform a lot better. That DOPE system is just one more thing to go wrong and another way to temporarily cover up a big problem.
the DOPE system is not another thing to go wrong
the dope system actually helps out a lot on your braking
when you go over rocks the brake moves independently rather than with thee rear shock, this makes the braking better and more powerful

O+
Posted: Dec 11, 2008 at 17:15 Quote
konarider567 wrote:
jonbikes wrote:
If they are both the same I would go with the BigHit. Not only is it going to do more than just DH, the suspension will perform a lot better. That DOPE system is just one more thing to go wrong and another way to temporarily cover up a big problem.
when you go over rocks the brake moves independently rather than with thee rear shock, this makes the braking better and more powerful

well, it wount increase the power fo your breaks if thats what you mean. all it accomplishes is that it gets rid of break jack completely. which means that when your susention is being active (a.k- moving, compressing, ect.) when you pull on your breaks, than the breaking is completley separate from your suspention. what normally happens with single pivot bikes is that when you pull on the rear brake, it will cause the suspention to not work as activally, so now the dope system takes up all the "jack" from breaking, and puts the energy into your frame, and not suspention. other bikes with more complex suspention (vpp, dw, fsr) the suspention will take that into account automatically. i love the dope system, i think it werks flawless. and it helps single piviot bikes compete with more complex suspention platforms

Posted: Dec 11, 2008 at 18:08 Quote
konarider567 wrote:
jonbikes wrote:

No, just no.

The post below yours is a pretty spot on description of how the system works.

In my opinion it is one more thing to go wrong, it's more pieces therefor more things to break. Also, when I say it is just another way to cover up a big problem, it's because it is. While it may work great, I'm not saying it doesn't, it is still there to cover up a problem instead of fixing it at the source. If you are going to spend all that time designing the "DOPE" system, why not just shoot for a whole new platform.

That is MY OPINION, if you don't like it you can voice yours, but do NOT try to tell me I am wrong, it's called an opinion for a reason.

Posted: Dec 11, 2008 at 18:24 Quote
jonbikes wrote:
konarider567 wrote:
jonbikes wrote:

No, just no.

The post below yours is a pretty spot on description of how the system works.

In my opinion it is one more thing to go wrong, it's more pieces therefor more things to break. Also, when I say it is just another way to cover up a big problem, it's because it is. While it may work great, I'm not saying it doesn't, it is still there to cover up a problem instead of fixing it at the source. If you are going to spend all that time designing the "DOPE" system, why not just shoot for a whole new platform.

That is MY OPINION, if you don't like it you can voice yours, but do NOT try to tell me I am wrong, it's called an opinion for a reason.
calm your shit
its ok
all i did was argue your comment
why would kona come up with a whole new setup??
it would be way less expensive to come up with the dope system
i like how kona suspension is set up so i think they should keep it, thousands of kona riders out there love how the suspension works, why would they take the whole suspension away and bring something new to the table then trying to fix it by keeping the suspension on there?

Posted: Dec 11, 2008 at 18:31 Quote
That wasn't meant to be a personal attack to anyone, but you know how PB is in general.

If everyone always went with that approach, don't fix it if it ain't broken, or fix the problem without a re-design, we wouldn't have half the technology that we have today.

O+
Posted: Dec 11, 2008 at 18:58 Quote
jonbikes wrote:
That wasn't meant to be a personal attack to anyone, but you know how PB is in general.

If everyone always went with that approach, don't fix it if it ain't broken, or fix the problem without a re-design, we wouldn't have half the technology that we have today.

i understand where your coming from, i know that on paper the kona design isnt as good as say a dw, or vpp bike, but, like my dad says, every ass has a seat, so every bike has a rider. i personally like the way that the kona suspention feels. iv owend 3, and none have given me problems. iv ridden vpp bikes, dw bikes, fsr bikes, you name it. but for me, i like the simplicity of the single pivot bikes feel. im also not out there competing, so theres not a point for me to get a bike that might save a second on my dh run. some people swear by fsr, others, vpp. honestly, i like all bikes. each one has their strenghts, and weaknesses. when your riding for fun, focus on the stengths, and having a great time.

Posted: Dec 11, 2008 at 19:05 Quote
lcstay10 wrote:
jonbikes wrote:

i understand where your coming from, i know that on paper the kona design isnt as good as say a dw, or vpp bike, but, like my dad says, every ass has a seat, so every bike has a rider. i personally like the way that the kona suspention feels. iv owend 3, and none have given me problems. iv ridden vpp bikes, dw bikes, fsr bikes, you name it. but for me, i like the simplicity of the single pivot bikes feel. im also not out there competing, so theres not a point for me to get a bike that might save a second on my dh run. some people swear by fsr, others, vpp. honestly, i like all bikes. each one has their strenghts, and weaknesses. when your riding for fun, focus on the stengths, and having a great time.
very well said

Posted: Dec 11, 2008 at 19:11 Quote
lcstay10 wrote:
jonbikes wrote:

Now that, ladies and gentlemen, is how discussions on pinkbike SHOULD go.Salute

Posted: Dec 11, 2008 at 19:13 Quote
At the end of the day you should buy the one that feels best for you.
I have a few friends that ride Kona and they swear by them. I personaly don't like the feel of them an prefer a linkage-style setup. One of my riding buddies had a stinky and sold it for an SC Bullit. Both single pivot bikes but quite different in the feel of the ride.
My advice is, test ride before you buy, don't listen to people on this website that trash talk bikes because it's cool to hate, buy what you're comfortable with. You wont regret it!

O+
Posted: Dec 11, 2008 at 19:43 Quote
jonbikes wrote:
lcstay10 wrote:
jonbikes wrote:

thanks mate, if people just put time into what they say, PB would be a better place to discus bikes, and riding Salute

Now that, ladies and gentlemen, is how discussions on pinkbike SHOULD go.Salute

Posted: Dec 11, 2008 at 19:59 Quote
ajlariviere wrote:
dude my bud got a stinky... the first day he got it flat tire! ever since peadals have bin breakin, cabels snapin, and also did tell you it bottoms out over a 5 foot frop!

Get a Big hit!

why would you get a bighit you could get a demo or sx trail

Posted: Dec 11, 2008 at 20:22 Quote
^ again, im not buying any of these bikes, im compiling a pros and cons list.

Posted: Dec 11, 2008 at 20:26 Quote
well, i had bad opinions on the 2008 and earlier bighit, but the 2009 looks waaay better and lighter and the stinkys faux bar (eew) and heavy

and dope is good, i hav something like that on my chumbatup

go 2009 bighit

Posted: Dec 11, 2008 at 20:28 Quote
i dont care what people think is a better bike, that is not the piont of this thread, we need reasons on why which one is better or not.

Posted: Dec 11, 2008 at 20:32 Quote
gooieshred wrote:
^ again, im not buying any of these bikes, im compiling a pros and cons list.

I know but thoes are better bikes

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.016881
Mobile Version of Website