What all mountain wheelset do you ride with and how does it climb?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
What all mountain wheelset do you ride with and how does it climb?
  • Next Page
FL
Posted: Feb 6, 2009 at 5:25 Quote
Spinergy Xyclone Enduros with Conti Speedking Semisonic's

Great wheels, Great tyres.

Posted: Feb 6, 2009 at 6:13 Quote
i run hope pros 2s (GOLD) laced to MAVIC EX721.

the hubs are wicked obviously, and the rims have so far taken an absolute pounding without even going slightly out of true. i am seriously impressed. and they are really light - 540g.

so as for climbing, they are brilliant.

highly recommended for hardcore all mountainy type riding.

i am currently running wtb exiwolf front, and wtb velociraptor rear. these are around 600g each, and grip surprisingly well considering things like panaracer fire fr is not that much better and weighs twice as much...

Posted: Feb 6, 2009 at 19:02 Quote
jamien141 wrote:
kovaldesign wrote:
jamien141 wrote:
looking at getting a pair of halo freedom wheels (spin doctor hubs) any one ridden these? how do these pedal and climb compaired to other similair strength/price wheels?Smile

Climbing and acceleration efficiency is down to the wheels weight. With Halo Freedoom wheelset at about 2200g you will definitely go faster than on other heavier Halo products but you will not beat the Hope Hoops (Pro II/DT 5.1D) or similar which come under 2000g. For the price, the 2.2kg wheelset is not a bad purchase.
I had many heavier wheels than that in the past and from my experience I can say that if you have strong legs those 200g will not make any difference.

Depends of the riding style you do it may be that you will benefit more from stronger rather than lighter wheels and likewise, so you always need too ask yourself what type of biker are you.
thanks that helps loads....a friend might be selling some cheap and i was originally going to save up for the hope/dt 5.1 but as you say its only 200g which i could easily save elswere or just get somne bigger legslol

its also where the wieght is. if the 200g was at the rim you would feel it more. i've read rotating mass equals 3 times static mass, i'm not sure about that but even double is alot.

those rims are pretty good so yeah that 200g you wont feel it like you would if it was at the rim.

Posted: Feb 6, 2009 at 19:05 Quote
look into stans ztr olympic rims and wheels...light, strong, and you wont regret it...(your wallet may though)

Posted: Feb 6, 2009 at 19:15 Quote
Aren't the Flows more in line with an All Mountain wheel build? I would go Flows, Bass Nipples, Wheel Smith Double Butted Spokes, Hope Pro 2s. If I had the cash to build up a new wheel set.

Mod
Posted: Feb 6, 2009 at 19:17 Quote
I was going to use the ZTR Flow as a DH wheel and I know some others liked the prospect of using it too!

Posted: Feb 6, 2009 at 19:19 Quote
For DH I want to try one as a front. I don't think most people could get away with running one on a rear wheel, personally.

Posted: Feb 6, 2009 at 19:34 Quote
DT Swiss ex1750's

They float up the mountain for me.

Posted: Feb 6, 2009 at 19:34 Quote
I've used the Olympic for xc/trail before but Im an agressive rider in the trail though, but the flows are the safe way to go if you want light wheels

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.024137
Mobile Version of Website