Powered by Outside

Anybody Else scared spitless of being in the air

PB Forum :: Downhill
Anybody Else scared spitless of being in the air
Posted: Feb 15, 2009 at 19:19 Quote
almostwise wrote:
What worries you most about being in the air? What problems do you come up against? I'm guessing here, but do you go stiff as you hit the lip/take off, or dab the brake as your coming in? My advice (if that is the case) is to build a little mellow jump into a slight slope with a clear landing and get comfortable hitting it. Then build it up a few inches at a time until you're happy getting more airtime. Everyone has their limit, but you'll be surprised how far you can push it. The more relaxed you can stay, the easier it will be. Trust your bike and trust your skill. Accept that you will bail at some point, but that it's all part of the game. Try different ways of psyching yourself up...some people need to be pressured and egged on, others require more gentle encouragement.
You'll get there in the end, just stick with it and have fun. Smile

Finally some decent advice. Thanks man props to you.

Posted: Feb 15, 2009 at 19:22 Quote
XxbrennanxX wrote:
thats my problem is i go rigid and cant throw my bike away if i have 2.

I know what you mean. Its like your brain shuts off and you don't even think about bailing. You don't know what happens and you can't fix what you can't remember.

O+ FL
Posted: Feb 15, 2009 at 19:30 Quote
lol i had the worst crash today from that happening.

Posted: Feb 15, 2009 at 19:34 Quote
XxbrennanxX wrote:
lol i had the worst crash today from that happening.

At least you can ride. I'm buried under 3 feet of snow.

O+ FL
Posted: Feb 15, 2009 at 19:35 Quote
lol yeah i know how ya feel. i used to live in utah so i know that feeling.

Posted: Feb 15, 2009 at 19:41 Quote
XxbrennanxX wrote:
lol yeah i know how ya feel. i used to live in utah so i know that feeling.

Snow in Utah. I bet they can still ride there. I'm in northern Alberta.

Posted: Feb 15, 2009 at 20:07 Quote
What helps me go off jumps and not feel awkward or stiff in the air is having a certain tweak that i do so that I'm not just frozen, It helps me feel like I have something to do while I'm in the air, and it also adds style to otherwise stiff and awkward airs.

O+
Posted: Feb 15, 2009 at 20:10 Quote
Everytime that you get any air time try to stay loose. You will soon learn that being rigid in the air is basically you panicking but in reality it makes jumping more dangerous. Also, if you can try to focus on moving around a bit in the air each time, you will soon learn whips etc.

Posted: Feb 15, 2009 at 20:19 Quote
if you have pump tracks you can access, DO IT. keep pumping and work the flow into your system. After a while you will only be concerned about the landing, and how to get speed for the next jump rather than get caught up with the lip or how much air you think you're going to get and how badly you can get hurt etc. Get the flow first, and once you pump over like a couple hundred dirt mounds, you'll find single jumps relaxing and wont be as stressed. Get used to the motion.

Posted: Feb 15, 2009 at 21:01 Quote
I know I'm 13 and this goes against the first post, BUT, you just have to relax. If you stiffen up, you rash, making your fear even worse. The only time I crash on jumps is if I panic. Weird as it may sound, while riding you just have to pretend you are like super cool, you know? Showing off for everyone. Like those pro basketball players.

Posted: Feb 15, 2009 at 21:03 Quote
if you want to learn to jump do it on a hardtail. you learn every mistake just by feel. fullies pick u your mistakes withought u noticing. for example if you land a lil crocked your susp. wil absorb it and u will think thats the proper way to jump. I gess this isnbt verry helpfull if u cant get in the air but once in the air this will help u with the skill department. Moving in the air are also inportant. IT keeps your mind set on what your dooing rather than what your doing wrong.

Posted: Feb 15, 2009 at 21:07 Quote
im not that scared of jumps and air, but if its like a a 8 foot jump with a 10 foot gap i would shit my self, also with gigantic drops like 10 feet

Posted: Feb 15, 2009 at 21:50 Quote
I'm 29 and too scared to attempt jumps - well anything of a decent size. So far I have managed some small ones (jump to flat) and small drops. But any jump with a gap to clear I go around every time, and certainly never even attempted the big ones with steep lips.
I will do it though, it is never too late to at least give it a go. Hah by the time I get around to it my son will probably be 13 and teaching me!

I reckon it's got to be a bit like abseiling - you've just got to get past that first step, it's all a mental thing. I reckon one day I've just got to say "stuff it, I'm gonna give this my best shot and worst thing that could happen is that I fall". The thing is that you've got to have other people around, a mate or something. I generally ride on my own so don't want to take too many risks (get stuck in the bush with no one to get me).

Posted: Feb 15, 2009 at 22:43 Quote
Frumpy-Housewife wrote:
I'm 29 and too scared to attempt jumps - well anything of a decent size. So far I have managed some small ones (jump to flat) and small drops. But any jump with a gap to clear I go around every time, and certainly never even attempted the big ones with steep lips.
I will do it though, it is never too late to at least give it a go. Hah by the time I get around to it my son will probably be 13 and teaching me!

I reckon it's got to be a bit like abseiling - you've just got to get past that first step, it's all a mental thing. I reckon one day I've just got to say "stuff it, I'm gonna give this my best shot and worst thing that could happen is that I fall". The thing is that you've got to have other people around, a mate or something. I generally ride on my own so don't want to take too many risks (get stuck in the bush with no one to get me).

Having other people around is definitely a good idea if you can get over the intimidation factor.

Posted: Feb 15, 2009 at 23:18 Quote
Man the first time I did a 15footer I was scared, but I just rode it, not doing any tricks. But now doing tricks relaxes me it really helps to do something while your in the air.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015408
Mobile Version of Website