Powered by Outside

Is the Shimano Saint any good for downhilling?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Is the Shimano Saint any good for downhilling?
  • Next Page
Posted: Mar 26, 2009 at 9:15 Quote
i have the new saint but missing the rear so cant compare them to my codes i had,what i can say is the build quality is better on the saints for sure.

Now we all know you dont like Avid, but dont hate all the time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted: Mar 26, 2009 at 9:19 Quote
nothing wrong with avid at all. shimano is tougher so far! not so many broken derailleur cages

Posted: Mar 26, 2009 at 9:20 Quote
iuulle wrote:
i have the new saint but missing the rear so cant compare them to my codes i had,what i can say is the build quality is better on the saints for sure.

Now we all know you dont like Avid, but dont hate all the time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

welcome back.Salute

i dont hate avid what so ever.

i do find for the money there are better alternatives,but your an avid fan lover so no matter what i say your gonna disagree regardless and i have no time for brand whores.

if you have something constructive to say then by all means share it with us,if you have had bad times with shimano then share that too,but if your gonna troll on people for there honest opinions i suggest you quit while your ahead.

hope to here constuctive terms from you and i also hope your visit to pinkbike is a good one.Salute

Posted: Mar 26, 2009 at 9:42 Quote
marquis wrote:
iuulle wrote:

welcome back.Salute

i dont hate avid what so ever.

i do find for the money there are better alternatives,but your an avid fan lover so no matter what i say your gonna disagree regardless and i have no time for brand whores.

if you have something constructive to say then by all means share it with us,if you have had bad times with shimano then share that too,but if your gonna troll on people for there honest opinions i suggest you quit while your ahead.

hope to here constuctive terms from you and i also hope your visit to pinkbike is a good one.Salute

It dont matter what i write, your just going to say ,bla, bla, bla and avid is crap.
Yeah i have avid codes and 7, but not a fan.
But we are a couple of guys had bad experiences with saint, not enough power and fadding(have bad experiences on Avid too)
I ride saint series without the brakes, and love the rest of their bits and pieces!
So werry mature to call me a brand whore!

Posted: Mar 26, 2009 at 15:49 Quote
iuulle wrote:
DH PETE: You say the avids sucks, we are plenty of ridders who love them.
I dont think your brake is bleeded good enough, to say its crap is so stupid.

I am 100% confident that they were in fact bled correctly. I take my time to bleed brakes and make sure everything is done perfectly. Not once did I have an air bubble come through after each bleed (well, bar the original factory bleed, that Avid is notorious for), yet the brakes didn't feel as I like, nor did they have the power that I wanted. Not even close. To say the brake is crap is not stupid, it is a statement based on what I have experienced.

My hate for Avid is full of reasons, but I'm not going into it again. I'm sure if you want to see my views you could find one of my many rants about them. I'll give them what's due on the Elixir CR, though. Once you bleed it damn well, get the pistons coming out perfect and the pads contacting the rotor flat. The brake feels good. As does the Code. Although, that's not something I'd expect to have to do with a new brake.

The thread topic here is the new Shimano Saint and comparisons, not question other's views, experience and preferences. You can question my ability as a mechanic as much as you like. But in all, if I wasn't a good enough mechanic to properly bleed an Avid brake, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have my job.

I like my brakes to have very little free stroke, phenomenal power, positive rotor contact and a short area to modulate. If the brake isn't fully operable with a single finger, it's not for me.

Posted: Mar 26, 2009 at 16:07 Quote
First of all didnt se it was the new ones we talked about, my statement is only the old ones
But i see we have oposite brake feel, i like the modulation a bit long but still enough power for one finger.

Posted: Mar 26, 2009 at 16:15 Quote
tschan0120 wrote:
Is anyone know the Shimano Saint any good for downhill ridin?

like does it has a good stoppin power?
is it feelin good as the hope's or the formula's?
voted the best DH brake by a lot of people and magazines o ya its goodEek

Posted: Mar 26, 2009 at 16:21 Quote
How much of a difference in power is there between the pre '09s and the '09s? I know the new ones are 4 piston, but I heard the older ones have great power as well.

Posted: Mar 26, 2009 at 16:27 Quote
The M810 Saints have 50% more power than the previous model.

Posted: Mar 26, 2009 at 16:29 Quote
do you think saint are more powerful than Hope M4?

thanks

Posted: Mar 26, 2009 at 16:45 Quote
Yes, the Saint are the most powerful non-boutique brand brake on the market right now.

Posted: Mar 26, 2009 at 16:45 Quote
too grabby for me.

Posted: Mar 26, 2009 at 16:47 Quote
Use smaller rotors...

Posted: Mar 26, 2009 at 16:48 Quote
still, dont like em
too grabby. i like a good long stroke with good feel to it. saints dont do that for me

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.672700
Mobile Version of Website